Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@souldrinkerlp Not sure I understand how exactly it works. BUT it still doesn't solve my current problem. I am power level 250 and I am so overpowered, nothing challenges me anymore. And I have no motivation to keep progressing.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat Even the region with power level 340 doesn't challenge you?

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@souldrinkerlp Maybe it will. But I have no pledges there. My 2 available pledges are to regions level 130, I believe, which makes me way overpowered. And going to more difficult areas will only make me even more overpowered when I return to my current story quest. Do you see the problem now? It's in pacing. Just by playing the game in a curious manner and doing all the things in a location I was led to by story quests, I became too overpowered to do the things the story wants me to do.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat Another way to handle the situation would be to not level at all until you finished a region and then level up to the power level of the new region with the skill points you have. I know it is not optimal. Maybe they will add scaling in an upcoming patch.

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@SouldrinkerLP

Yup. I'll wait until then and play something else.

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@mangybasterd Have you heard of a game called Dark Souls? You just might dig it.

• Chrigger
    7 posts

@mangybasterd If you don't spend your skill points you wont level, your power level is based off of skill points spent,do as someone else mentioned respec only this time don't spend them all, and if you want a challenge use your starter gear.

• kizza0721
    63 posts

@chrigger

That's right. Skill point are handed out like candy so that if you choose to be overpowered, you can be. However if you don't want to be, just don't allocate them. It caters to both types, and even in the middle. It's your choice how many points you allocate, and how powerful your character becomes.

And this game has so many other issues that actually need the devs to resolve, that choosing to be overpowered (with such a simple solution) should indefinitely be put on the back burner. Progression blocks, saves being deleted, and the myriad of other huge bugs deserve immediate attention.

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

Stalling one's own progress is also a terribad solution. Players WANT progression. Players WANT to feel more and more powerful as they play. Having to artificially slow your own progress is just as un-enjoyable as being overpowered. There needs to be balance. Something Valhalla lacks at this point. Hope they fix it.

• detroitin2019
    99 posts

@daelosthecat
    what do you propose? I’m not saying it’s a great solution (not spending all your points but it does work for me) but I can’t remember the last big RPG where you couldn’t get over powered relatively easily by exploring and side quests. Even level scaling only helps some. Enemies becoming your level doesn’t make one feel more powerful. This system does let you progress as slow or quick as you want in that way which caters to the individual. Other games I don’t have the option because some things, like stats, are automatically increased upon level up.

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@detroitin2019

Here's what would solve this issue:

1) Reduce the amount of skill points received by half OR require more than 1 skill point in order to unlock a node in the tree. Perhaps make some nodes more "expensive" than others? That way players always have something to progress towards and they still keep becoming more and more powerful;

2) Lock some skills behind world events so you need to find something or meet someone in order to be able to unlock active skills (like it was in Watch Dogs 2 where you needed to explore and find a data point in order to be able to acquire a skill);

3) Reward exploration with more than resources. Runes maybe? Even better yet - dyes. Since there aren't many equipment sets, perhaps being able to customize an existing piece of gear by changing colors would encourage players to explore.

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@kizza0721 Agreed, the massive amounts of bugs this game has is pretty disappointing considering how long this game was in development. I can't remember an AC game that had so many bugs (then again, I've only played 1, 2, Origins and Odyssey).

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

Well, as others have mentioned, you have a choice. I don't want to seem them change the leveling system.

It's reminiscent of people complaining about no fall damage in Odyssey, you can play the game as if there were fall damage. Now it's incredibly annoying, even with the Break Fall ability.

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@thereignstorm

So you believe players themselves must do whatever they can in order to create a challenge? Isn't it what difficulty levels are for? I mean, sure, not everyone is the same, so by all means, the game can remain as easy as it is on Easy / Normal. But why not implement some advanced balancing so it remains challenging for those who play on Drengr?

• DuskDragon56496
    382 posts

I don't get why anyone would want the game to be a challenge any way,a challenge of what,that you can press a controller button a little faster than the average gamer? Assassins Creed at least the ones I've played were meant to be storied games, an adventure,exploration, the challenge was the fun of playing ,not how hard npcs and bosses are to fight. You're obviously an excellent and patient player at this Daolos, I'm not,I don't want to spend 3-5 minutes trying to kill npcs and bosses,default is fine for me.And besides it's hard to find a true challenge
    in a game where the boss simply dodges or blocks automatically to whatever you throw,then eventually just lets you win.or the difficulty being the reducing of your defense and the increase of npc offense that's not a true challenge.The AI response to offense and defense is what needs to be increased,more move sets for both player and npc at each difficulty setting.Assassins Creed uses a basic and old formula for the combat and like I said it was never meant to be overly challenging.

• DaelosTheCat
    168 posts

@duskdragon56496

That's easy. If I want a story with no challenge, I can watch a movie or a show. Of course, some games are purely and entirely story-driven. For example, Detroit: Become Human. No challenge in that one is okay. It's pretty much just an interactive movie.

But in a game with character progression and a decent combat system I want to have a sense of gratification from being able to defeat enemies. That's why people play games like Dark Souls (although I'm not one of them).

So yeah man, to each their own. And, once again, THAT IS WHAT DIFFICULTY LEVELS ARE FOR. So that everyone can find a difficulty they find enjoyable. And my issue with the game is that on a difficulty that should be enjoable for me, it is not. The game showers me with skill points making me overpowered. And in order to be proficient in one thing (like archery) I still HAVE TO pick up unrelated skills (increases in melee damage) thus inevitably becoming an undefeatable killing machine. So when I play like that I don't feel like a tough viking who gains honor by defeating foes. I feel like a teenager who entered an elementary school class with a baseball bat and beat the crap out of kids who stood no chance. That's just not fun. Without a challenge, exploration becomes just checking out map markers for no satisfying reason.

• DuskDragon56496
    382 posts

Yes Daolos I get your point, the games not hard for you even on it's hardest level but until they use a better design for combat even level scaling isn't going to quell that.By the time I finished Odyssey I was playing on the hardest difficulty taking down bosses with one or two abilities.But your absolutely right it was quite a long time before I was able to do that because the game became fairly well balanced.I took a lot of butt whippings before I found the right combinations of armor.Part of the problem also is different teams, I wonder what Valhalla would have been like if the team that made Odyssey would have made this one! Who knows.

• DuskDragon56496
    382 posts

I tried to edit but i guess I was too late, I did play the Dark Souls series as this head of white hair I have plainly shows,I went through an omni amount of deaths before finally beating those games.You know that rock in DS 2 that says over 500,000,000 deaths? Yeah that was me.

• shaiwan43
    54 posts

@ OP

Same here. Way over-leveled, and the game is way too easy on Drengr. The only challenge in the game is trying to kill Zealots who are 100 levels above you. Like fighting Heike (250) when you are lvl 150.

But hey, don't worry, they made sure to fix Dive of the Valkyries breaking barred doors so now you can REALLY enjoy the game. I mean, if there was only 1 bug to fix, it was definitely being able to break doors; that's what was ruining the game for everyone because you know, the greatest enjoyment I have on this Earth is trying to figure out what tunnel to crawl through or what false wall to break so I can shoot the lock from inside the house so I can loot that 3 titanium.

• DuskDragon56496
    382 posts

Don't hint Shaiwan, if you're not happy with the bug fix just say so ! 😎 Speaking of miraculous bug fixes, remember how they said they fixed the duplicate armor problem, I now have 2 Galloglach and 2 huntsmen armors in my inventory...well done devs you truly are microchips off the old block!

Suggested Topics