Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@daelosthecat
    I believe, if the game is too easy and you can make it more difficult to make it more enjoyable for yourself, then yes, the player should do that. With one press of the button you can wipe out all of your skill points. It's not difficult or time-consuming...that, and this is AC not Dark Souls. AC has never been about difficulty. Want difficulty? Play Soulsborne/Sekiro...and don't just do it because they are challenging, do it because they are some of the best games to have ever been developed (I've 100%ed all of them).

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@thereignstorm

It doesn't work that way. Let me explain why.

Challenge is one part of the fun. 50% of it, if you will. Another part is progression. In a huge game like this it makes sense for players to keep unlocking new abilities as they play. That way we get a sense of progression. If you just don't spend skillpoints, then you won't get cool skills. Quite frankly, I enjoy the essence of combat in Valhalla. I liked the variety of skills and abilities. Particularly I enjoy being able to catch a projectile and throw / fire it back at the enemy. Stomping is also fun. So I WANT TO be picking up new skills as I play. And the problem is, I can't only focus on, say, archery and become good at this one thing. Character skill tree is designed in a way to make player pick up all sorts of boosts in order to get to a desired skill. So no matter what, you will become a good melee fighter just to get access to your ranged skills.

Besides, the other issue with game difficulty is enemy AI. Apart from bosses, the AI is really stupid and doesn't do much to make fighting more challenging for players.

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@mangybasterd Just remember the raging complaints they got in Odyssey from Casual gamers who were way underleveled and constantly struggling in every fight . . .
    at least this way you have some control to pull it back - I'm just getting into England and I'm still underpowered and struggling but I haven't been leveling up my weapons becuz I don't want to waste my resources on them when I don't think I want to keep the weapons I'm using....
    I'm struggling to stay alive in most battles despite spending all my skill pts available 😕

(I've made probly 13 posts in this forum and it shows I've made Zero.... I'm wondering what the problem is?)

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@prodigurl

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's difficult to find a proper balance. But I think Odyssey was closer to being good for everyone. It was challenging on Nightmare and easy on, well, Easy. If players were under-leveled, that is easily fixed by increasing XP rate.

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@daelosthecat Ya but that didn't happen till alot later with patches as players complained about balance and scaling difficulty.
    I think they finally made alterations to the difficulty levels.
    Balance has always been an issue w/ AC in different ways - AI simplicity, easy/hard combat, overpowered weapons, scaling, perks, ...
    it's impossible to meet everyones needs - we have to tweak things for ourselves.
    Right now I have to find a good weapon to sink upgrades into. I shouldn't be near death this often lol.

• DuskDragon56496
    379 posts

i think it also depends on the weapons you choose, In the first game I went with the Sepulcher axe and the bone biiter, dual carrying. the axes were so slow when swinging, so I was getting hit pretty often, but with the Kopis dagger and the one from the festival,now it's a whole different system,combat is extremely fast and enemies barely ever touch me.I definitely can see where daolos is coming from because with these weapons there's no competition,I fought the bear in Norway and I think he hit me once,other legendarys' didn't fair any better,I've been overpowered the whole game with these weapons!

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@duskdragon56496 Same. I followed a youtube vid on 'best weapons'... I got one of them (Housecarl's axe) - and it barely does any damage while it's upgraded more than the base sword I was using. Much slower and less damaging even tho stats showed the opposite.
    Whatever, I'm just upgrading this Doppelhander sword - if I hit them after they fall it poisons them plus the reach is alot longer, it hits 2 at once if they're together.

It's a little too early for me to judge weaponry bcuz it's still early in the game and I'm trying to find a good base weapon to upgrade and put runes onto to build it up, so I don't know how over/underpowered I'll be yet.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

I just hope they add some sort of level scaling and maybe improve enemy AI.

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@daelosthecat

You're missing the point. AC has never really been about challenge...even so, you can challenge yourself simply by removing or being selective about your skill points spent and where you spend them...in addition to changing the difficulty level and equipping your starting gear. This is reminiscent of when people actually complained about there being no fall damage in Odyssey.

If the argument is, as you mentioned, "you expect the player to do that?" Haha, yes I do! it's quite simple and not at all time intensive to set your game up as such. Next there will be an argument about the game not playing itself.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@thereignstorm

Prior to Origins, afaik, there were no difficulty levels at all. Yet, all the games were challenging in their own way. None of them was extremely easy or extremely difficult. But let's not take that into account.

The "new" action/RPG approach started with Origins. Both Origins and Odssey DID offer adequate challenge. These games are no longer (and neither is Valhalla) purely a linear experience like prior ones. So you can't really apply to them the same rules and requirements as you did to previous games (prior to Origins).

Now if we are talking strictly action/RPG AC games, those need to adhere to the "new" genre they've taken. Thus they do actually need to be challenging in their own way like any other similar game (The Witcher 3, for instance).

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@daelosthecat

I found the difficulty of both Origins and Odyssey to be practically non-existent and that's not to say Valhalla has proven otherwise. That could be because it simply was non-existent or it could be because I'm a Soulsborne junkie and was non-existent by comparison. I also, personally, appreciate that AC puts the casual gamer at the forefront to keep it accessible. It's a nice, relaxing change of pace from many of the "try-hard" games I play.

Now if we are talking strictly action/RPG AC games, those need to adhere to the "new" genre they've taken.

Hard disagree. AC doesn't need to do anything and it certainly doesn't need to something because another game or genre has. I can appreciate your opinion of what it should look like, but that's all it is, nothing more. I generally don't want a clone of what's out there, rather I want something that is uniquely AC. I appreciate that they are trying to blend the familiar with the new.

(As an aside, I think The Witcher 3 is grossly overrated. Sure, it was a beautiful open world with excellent story writing but the combat was absolutely atrocious - it was such a clunky puddle of mess that it will never live in my memory as "one of the greatest.")

• Vaynard_
    2 posts
    I just hope they add some sort of level scaling and maybe improve enemy AI.

We already got level scaling with the last patch, you might only notice it against bosses though because others are still up to 50 levels/power below you.
    Personally I hate level scaling and this last patch ruined the game for me. I dont enjoy leveling when enemies become stronger every time I do, thats not my understanding of progression, it might even be regression if i pick the wrong skills. I get the feeling that many players here dont actually want to play an RPG with a level system (and im not sure if the devs even wanted to create one). They want something closer to an action adventure where you unlock new gear and skills but dont have to bother with grinding and leveling. I like those games as well, but when playing RPGs with level systems, I want to have control (at least to some extend) about how strong I become in relation to my enemies. I dont understand the point of having a level system and possibilities to grind xp, if the game enforces a certain difficulty through level scaling anyway. It makes no sense to me.

• DuskDragon56496
    379 posts

The Witcher 3 was overrated. like bs it was, it didn't win over 800 awards just because it looked nice. the game was excellently balanced,had an amazing story and killer dlcs,which is precisely why AC is continuously taking their formula. They took their leveling system, rpg style ,side quests and now they've taken the runes too.I'm surprised Ubisoft didn't just redo The Witcher 3 and slap their name on it for all the stuff they've taken from it.But, that's smart business, when there's an awesome formula that works great it only benefits another game to implement some of them in the style of that game.But please don't callously say The Witcher 3 was overrated because it richly deserved every last accolade they received. Calling it overrated is like saying Death Valley has a dry heat!

• TheReignStorm
    18 posts

@duskdragon56496

You must be a glutton for punishment, or just a hopeless fanboy. The combat was laughable at best. The awards? What else was there that year? Also, I beat it on Death March, the only thing I remember is cool graphics and stories...more than anything else I remember how horrendous the combat was...and how much people fell over themselves (and obviously continue to do so) to defend the game. This game never lived up to the hype, neither did its fans.

• DuskDragon56496
    379 posts

What I am is a 53 year old man who was a stinger missle crewman in the army and served time in desert storm,Now the point of that comment is to let you know you don't know jack about me son.
    people have a right to like what they want and just because you didn't The Witcher 3 doesn't make it an overrated game and everyone else wrong.People have a right to their opinion and I earned mine in blood.So the next time you want to presume to label someone a fanboy
    maybe you ought to consider what they may have done that you probably haven't!

• JCar4327
    634 posts

@duskdragon56496 Not tryin' to start nothin, but I seem to remember recently being called a fanboy. Wonder who might have done that. LOL.

• DuskDragon56496
    379 posts

That's true I did call you a fanboy, but if you'll remember you were down playing the problems and bugs we were experiencing in this game,you remember that?Almost acting like we were just making those problems up,now that's something I'd expect a fanboy to do.But liking a game backed up by hundreds of awards doesn't make anyone a fanboy,pretty significant difference there!

• JCar4327
    634 posts

@duskdragon56496 Actually I wasn't. I was making a point to Animus about whinging versus critisizing, but we'll leave that in that thread.

• Marcosgpl
    3 posts

I sincerely think what they did with breakpoint is the way to go, numbers doesnt belong, i dont get excited by seeing numbers, but by seeing cool stuff happening. And if its hardcore, with both enemy and my character at peril is even more rewarding. Areas determined by level is completely outdated and takes away the point of developing an open world.
    We need a hardcore mode, that would be mind blowing.

• ADarklore
    144 posts

I don't play games for 'challenge'... I work 12-hour days and when I play a game, I want to RELAX to avoid stress while I play it. I play on easy mode because I want my character to be OP, I enjoy one-shotting things or combat being pretty easy. This is why I typically run around a map exploring areas and doing easy things to gain XP to level up- so when I finally decide to start the MSQ, I'm severely overpowered and can thus enjoy the story instead of stressing about every combat situation. I also absolutely HATE puzzles, and appreciated Odyssey and Origins because most things were pretty straightforward and easy to figure out... with Valhalla, I have to have my phone next to me to look these stupid things up so I can finish them and get back to playing the game. IMO, having to spend 10, 15 or more minutes trying to figure something out is a waste of my time and if they didn't award skill points I would avoid them altogether.

So no, not everyone wants a 'challenge'- and as others have said, Odyssey did a great job IMO... but Valahalla's team cannot seem to figure it out. One reason I believe, is because they added TOO MANY different enemy types and thus they cannot find a way to balance all of them equally. Right now I'm at PL 140 and haven't even progressed the Ragnar Bros quest, which is level 20; I've been too busy running around exploring the maps, gaining wealth chests, doing world events. I'm rocking 2 pcs of Mentor armor, 2 pcs Berzerker and 1 of the Huldufolk (because the chest piece looks awesome), and dual daggers all fully maxed Mythical all containing some awesome runes in them and I am able to fight Zealots and Daughters of Lerion without taking much of any damage... I love it!! 🙂

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics