Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • UltimatePowa
    61 posts

@aetheogh

Yeah I play on Hard as well and have become a bit overleveled.

Probably an XP boost on hard or very hard.

• Patricia81994
    113 posts
    ย "I'm way too over leveled and it's a problem"

I enjoy completing the areas and exploring everywhere, but it's not very rewarding when skill points are awarded so fast that I'm in Lunden at 150 where I should be around 90. Why give skill points so fast that completionists are punished for going through all the content? Now I can just power my way through everything instead of engaging with the mechanics. I honestly wish there was some level scaling or that zones and quests your power level is too far above gave less experience. Seems like this is something that should have been considered since a huge chunk of AC fans enjoy the grindy aspect of the games. I'm sure I'll keep enjoying the game anyway with it set to the harder difficulty, but leveling is pretty much broken for me since I would rather turn experience off for a while and let the game catch up to me rather than have the gap increasing further and further.

I do like Valhalla a lot, but this is going to annoy me for the whole game and it's weird that it's like this considering previous AC games and The Witcher 3 had solutions for it. I'd rather not have a godlike character until endgame.

I do not see that as a problem. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@patricia81994
    Depends on if you like the game to be somewhat challenging ๐Ÿ˜‰ Many gamers, including me, play on the hardest difficulty for a reason, we want as much challenge as possible. Being overpowered by being power level 150 in a power level 90 area makes the game somewhat easy , aka. this reduces the joy of a challenge.

• MangyBasterd
    Original poster 12 posts

@aloninor Exactly.

I don't want an insane challenge either, but game mechanics like parrying, doing feast buffs before a raid, dodge timing, I mean even armor upgrades all become meaningless if you become too powerful. And it's just not as fun to button mash.

If you do enjoy just button mashing I'm not one to judge, but it's not how I like to play

• kizza0721
    63 posts

@aloninor
    Did you try refunding your skill points? And if so did it make much difference? I'll give it a try soon enough. I like the exploring and story more than the combat challenge. But if i get too overpowered it does become boring. That's why i was thinking of not using the skill points if i get too far ahead.

• Patricia81994
    113 posts
    @patricia81994
    Depends on if you like the game to be somewhat challenging ๐Ÿ˜‰ Many gamers, including me, play on the hardest difficulty for a reason, we want as much challenge as possible. Being overpowered by being power level 150 in a power level 90 area makes the game somewhat easy , aka. this reduces the joy of a challenge.

Well i like it that way. ๐Ÿ˜

But i can understand why you and many gamers with you would like to have a challenge. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• MangyBasterd
    Original poster 12 posts

@kizza0721 Yeah that's actually working out really well. I just add skill points when I finish an area now instead of when I have a certain amount to spend like I was doing. It's still somewhat challenging this way and even though getting skill points is a lot less exciting at least the combat has become fun again.

• Jjmn12
    3 posts

Having the same problem. I have the three 90 zones (Lunden, Oxenefordscire, and *Spoiler*) almost entirely untouched and I'm already 130 (the next tier of zones' recommended level) from doing settlement stuff and effectively clearing the first 3 zones, while having already been overleveled for all of Grantebridgescire and East Anglia. Even just rushing story on the 90 zones, I feel like I'm bound to be at least 160 after finishing, when I go to start the 130 zones. Playing on the hardest difficulties for all three options but anything other than elites dies in two hits and I'm overjoyed when I can actually find a pack that is white level instead of green. Additionally, opportunities for full stealth seem really few and far between, so the only type of combat where being overleveled doesn't make much of a difference is hard to come across (maybe that's my fault for playing on Master Assassin, not sure).

I'll probably try out refunding some points to keep my power lower as suggested here, but not having what would be the equivalent of Level Scaling is really hurting my experience, especially since it was in Odyssey on launch and felt great. I'm not a dev so I don't know if there's more to this than it would seem in terms of actual coding and/or fear of breaking something, but I feel like a very straightforward "enemies/zones below your power level scale to your current power level" option would be a truly massive upgrade and nothing more complicated is necessary, certainly not in the short term.

Really hope something can be added in this vein in the very near future. For now, I guess I'll be banking dozens of skill points to hold myself back and hopefully that feels better!

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@kizza0721
    Yep, especially the removal of the large nodes make you less overpowered. Just the one node that lets you throw pack every projectile = god mode. With just that you can kill level 190 roaming bosses as a power level 20 character ๐Ÿ˜„

But yeah, I think it improves the challenge, I currently have roughly 70 skill point that I haven't used to prevent going full god mode.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@mangybasterd I know this "fix" isn't really good but you can reset your points or single paths you levelled up to lower your power level.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@mangybasterd I agree with scaling, but as the game stands now it is made for all types of players. Many just want to do the story. For those people they end up being under leveled quickly and have to find other activities to reach the needed level. Two sides to this coin and the only fix I see is level scaling.

• SpiritpPotato
    11 posts

yeah, ive been overleveled for what feels like the entire game, pretty much. and by a good amount, too. doing the odd sidequest and collecting loot shouldn't have such a drastic effect on your level. And sure, you can hold your points, but like, you shouldn't have to. that's a bad solution to poor game design. this game isn't balanced or scaled properly at all, and it's a disappointment after Odyssey, which I felt like had pretty good level scaling. Like, i actually had to grind a little bit at times in Odyssey, which some people naturally complained about, and i think they just WAY over corrected in Valhalla.

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@spiritppotato
    I think the "problem" with this in ACV is simply the fact that you can do so many things in so many orders. If you just go for the story, you might not become too over leveled at all, but the fact that different people can do a different amount (and different) side activities, makes it really impossible to have a system that won't make some people over level.

As far as I see it, there are only two solutions to this:

• Make enemies scale to your current power level at all times
    • Give players the option to remove skill points to make sure that you are not OP the entire game (which can be game breaking)

Ubisoft here settled for Option 2 which, while not my preferred of the two, totally does the job. I reset when I enter a new area, and don't use any skill points I earn until I enter the next (higher PL) area. So it's really just 1 respec every few hours, depending on area size.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@spiritppotato I can basically confirm that you can get around power level 300-320 with just collecting everything there is on the map ๐Ÿ™‚ My quests are still power level 20 now. I reset my skills now and will adjust my power level accordingly to the quests.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

That's why I stopped playing. The game is just not challenging enough. Some world activities (like cursed places) give absolutely no reward. What's the point of them if there's no reward whatsoever? I've been travelling around and got so powerful, I don't have any challenge in game anymore.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat You can take points away at no cost. You can reset the whole tree without a cost.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@souldrinkerlp Yeah, no, artificially restricting oneself from progressing in order to enjoy a game is not an indication of a good gameplay balance.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat Being able to overpower is a problem with every open world RPG. Level scaling is not really a solution as levelling then becomes useless at all. Because with levelling you only try to keep up with the enemies instead of actually improving your stats.

Old RPGs tried to solve this by gating areas for example.

Edit: And a good RPG absolutely needs you to become OP in some areas of the game. I want this feeling of being powerful because of hard work. But the game of course should constantly throw new and harder challenges at you.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@souldrinkerlp You are right. Having a sense of one's power is important too. But in this case I feel like they overdid it. As much as I criticized (and keep criticizing) some stuff in Odyssey, at least it never failed at being challenging. And even by the end of it, I still wanted to keep levelling and becoming better at my chosen play style. AND it allowed me to become a godlike archer who could one-shot anybody.

The way I see it, they could make the game enjoyable if they made AI smarter (so enemies attack Eivor together and more aggressively as opposed to standind about and watching how he/she butchers their friends) and introduced something similar to Mastery Levels in Odyssey so that players could keep becoming better at archery / melee / stealth throughout the game. Also, slowing it down a little and rewarding players with 1 (and not 2) skill points per level would make players want to think about what to invest in.

On my current playthrough I'm Power Level 250+ and I have unlocked everything I wanted to unlock. And that's it, there's nothing more to unlock, so I got bored.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat Starting at power level 400 you can master the 3 paths. Raven, Wolf and Bear ๐Ÿ™‚ A total of 30 points can be spent per path. But instead of 2 points you get 1 point per level up. I finished the game now with 400 power level and 30 mastery points in raven and 20 in wolf.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics