Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@torfinr

its what resulted for me to stop playing. Killing isnt being rewarded, for killing a civilian you even get punished with death.
    Its a viking game but with a weird sense of morale to it. Apparantly vikings did like to do endless puzzles as well.

Instead of looting enemies for gear, we get to do endless puzzles for gear...

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@asgardian02 that desync system is terrible since the AI causes the civilians to walk into battles like lemmings. Now if the AI was decent and we actually had to go out of our way to kill them, alright, but the Odyssey system with the wanted meter and civilians actually attacking you rather than acting completely dumb was a lot more immersive than some stupid desync.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@kreutzgang

Absolutly agree, also the mercenary system added some much needed challenge to the gameplay and more immersion to the entire world

• B00MSIE
    265 posts

@TORFINR

If you have 1000 helmets and 2000 swords, a wooden leg isn't that bad in my opinion. Like the majority I enjoyed the Witcher 3 a lot more then Odyssey. But everyone has his own taste.

@asgardian02
    @Kreutzgang
    Absolutely agree about the about the strange behaviour of the NPC's. The not killing thing is just a AC thing I think, which I don't mind.

• TORFINR
    320 posts

@b00msie The thing that those helmets and armors in Odyssey can be dismantled for resources. Or sold, if you prefer. Choices, once more. There's also the hunt for the perfect piece of equipment, totally absent in Valhalla. And more choices. And the combination of stats is also wider in Odyssey, while almost absent in Valhalla. Even more choices 😉

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@torfinr yup

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@b00msie wouldn't you rather stockpile swords than wooden legs and dirty pillows though? 😄

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@b00msie

I loved the twist that he isn't even trying to compare them.

I played Odyssey and it was a fun game but didn't fulfill my AC needs. At the end of the day i see the problem in Ubisoft Quebec because they clearly should do another IP's and in Ubisoft because they can't title games properly as spin-offs or would take risks with new IP's.

Odyssey would have been received much better if they titled it just Odyssey and made the game they wanted to do. They made Immortals directly after so they clearly wanted to make just one game in greek with all thos godly skills and silly (mostly childish) humour.

I dislike Odyssey and Syndicate and i dislike Ubisoft Quebec because they banned some people on twitter that criticised their game because they didn't see it as an AC.

This discussion can go on until the end of days but in the end AC fans didn't like Odyssey overall. There are clearly exceptions out there but the true Odyssey lovers often just started playing AC with Origins and want more loot and grind. I don't say all of them but most people that praise Odyssey as the best game ever doesn't understand what AC actually is and where surprised what this new "social stealth" mechanic in Vallhalla is. Here are also day one AC fans that love Odyssey and that is fine but i clearly see Odyssey as as fancy spin-off and won't play any games from Ubisoft Quebec in the future. I don't like their way of trying to make an IP their own with too much changes and i really dislike the way they do humour in games. It is comparable with the forced humour in Watch Dogs 2 and the forced humour in Valhalla's world events. Just don't add too much humour in mostly serious games. Some funny stuff here and there is always great but don't make every third quest a slapstick one ore every world event a comedy.

I am fine with the way Valhalla is going and they should go on this way and take out more of all the bloat. This would also end in less microtransactions and shorther roadmaps, which should be a plus for us. Longer roadmaps from Ubisoft doesn't mean more content, it just means the same content just stretched around a longer time.

It also would be better to have just one thread with the Odyssey vs. Valhalla discussion because this is clearly a topic where two armys collide. Everybody should know by now what the streangths and weaknessen of every game are and that no side will ever change their opinion. The Odyssey fans want more loot and the Origins/Valhalla fans want less and more AC focus.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

The thing that you get wrong is that we never said that Odyssey isd best game ever. Far from it in fact, just compared to Valhalla it raises to the top fast.
    While playing Odyssey i wrote down a lot of pointers that i would have wanted they improved.

For valhalla i really thought they would continue this upward spiral from origins to Odyssey and then to Valhalla, instead they left almost everything out.
    So yeah by deafult with Valhalla not giving a great experience you start to compare it to Odyssey and then Odyssey is the clear winner of the two.

Thats not to say that I consider Odyssey to be the best game ever. Far from it.

Played 440 hours in Odyssey, but played 630 hours in W3, so that would make W3 a better game no?
    Then again i played over 3k hours in D3, so thats maybe the winner. Also played 3years fanatically wow.

Funny thing though i stopped wow in 2008, but at that stage it already had transmog system. Now 13 years later and games still release without transmog systems?? Thats just lazy.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

The worst thing about Odyssey is the lack of cats.

I think it's funny someone would single out Odyssey for trying to do its own thing, when it clearly built on Origins, while Valhalla acts like Odyssey never existed and suffers for it.

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@asgardian02

I didn't mean that literally everyone found that Odyssey is the best game. We are talking about AC here. The times where AC games where challenging the best games are long gone. AC2 at it's time was challenging the top of the line games because it was unique and improved from his prequel. Now even great AC games are nothing compared to The Witcher 3, Zelda, or RDR2.

This is because Ubisoft are just trying to copy those best games instead of trying to be unique and improve on their own.

I think i played Odyssey the longest from all AC games. But I hate it the most. So time played means nothing for me. I am a crazy completionst and play every mainline AC game.IT was really hard work in Odyssey to keep playing and getting 100%. I had no other game at the time and needed to 100% the game to be able to sleep again. This is just a problem in my crazy head but i still can say that i really disliked the game.
    But i love Nioh so nobody can say that i dislike millions of random loot with different values. Odyssey just didn't do it well and the combat is 5 leagues under games like Nioh.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

why bother continuing to play a game you dont like...

I am a completionist too, but in valhalla i made an exception, stopped fishing early on and stopped with loads of other useless stuff too.

I sleep perfect 😛

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@asgardian02

I don't know why but i like fishing in games. In RDR2 i did it a lot. In Valhalla they could have done the fishing a lot better but i still do it from time to time. I am not searching actively for fish i just start fishing when i am in the mood for it and i already got many fish to give to the fisher boy without actively searching for some specific type.
    I don't go fishing for hours but when the graphics look great and i feel like i need some rest, i just fish some fish. If i would hunt for specific fish i would just use a bow or spear.

I don't play many games and if i start one i always finish it 100%. I don't care for trophys or achievements...just in game 100%.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

trophies dont even unlock in this game though. Same problem with Odyssey which i had 100% but it kept saying 93% that was really annoying.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@asgardian02 Same here. I just can't with some of the stuff in Valhalla. Fishing and hunting can go to hell. So can the last 3 or 4 anomalies and the last stone stack, and some of the world events are bugged, so I can't do them either. I'm still ploughing through the tattoo papers a few at a time. The only thing that made me feel like that in Odyssey were those boring quests, go and kill x bandits and report back etc, which are mirrored by Reda's quests in Valhalla.

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@asgardian02

In Uplay I had 100% in Odyssey with all achievements and also in Ubisoft Connect now. I also unlocked a lot of achievements in Valhalla without even trying but i am still at 22% completion.

Strangely in Valhalla i never got a message that i earned an achievement in game. Also when the Codex updated i get no in game notification. On consoles there is always a small pop-up on the left side of the screen that tells you the Codex has updated, press something to read now.

Seems like a PC bug that never got fixed or even mentioned...

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@kreutzgang

for the tatto stuff there is a neat trick, one ability slows time and thus yoiu can just grab right from the start
    the tattoo papers were the most annoying of all.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

well the entire game feelks like it was made fro console players tbh, and then they just added pc players as an after thought.

I mean the ui and everything feels rather clumsy

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@asgardian02

I play with a controller, so this is fine for me. Just the bug with the Codex pop-up is strange and should be fixed. I always like to read the Codex stuff if it would pop-up on PC.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    86 posts

Play a game is not complete a game, but play until have fun.

Work for have 100% is a job, a mental limit, a fixation not healtly.

If i don't like a game, i stop playing.

I think there is something wrong with this practice of "100% ever".

Play for fun, not for job.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics