Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lazgk50 I do hope they stick to the way they started going with Valhalla tbh. There are already so many generic RPGs out there. We don't need AC to become one too. AC had unique selling points which they can use and enhance to stay true and unique. I personally disliked Odyssey that much that I wont buy any AC from Quebec any longer. If they announce the next AC and its from the Quebec studio I won't be buying it 🙂 (Original AC fan)

I can find a generic RPG everywhere. I don't need to see my beloved game franchise becoming one. And not even a particular good one tbh.

• AnimusLover
    Original poster 76 posts

@torfinr Oh, I still have plenty of quests to do lol. I haven't completed the story yet but I'm near I think. Only just completed Asgard/Jotenheim (awful quest line) with 30 mastery points in bear and 17 in wolf. XP still comes fast but you only get one mastery point per threshold. After you max out everything not sure what comes next. I guess I'll have to keep on playing...

• TORFINR
    331 posts
    After you max out everything not sure what comes next.

I'm afraid that the only thing you can do is waiting for the DLC or waiting for them to lift the hard cap...

• AnimusLover
    Original poster 76 posts

@lafrendgio 1) Never said Odyssey was an Assassin's Creed game but it was at least fun and polished. Valhalla isn't an AC game either but that's not what this thread is about. I am talking purely about the core mechanics
    which Odyssey gets right due to playing to its strengths. Valhalla has very bad mechanics and they are compounded by how they are utilised.

2) I have no issue with walking or the weight when walking. It's the running and jumping and the fact that jog and run are visually and mechanically indistinguishable from one another that irritate me. There is a fundamental difference between this and that of Geralt and Arthur. Geralt and Arthur aren't parkour experts and the world is designed with that in mind. You get by with Arthur and Geralt mostly by horse and what little climbing there is works for their movement.

3) I remember going back to legacy controls for Origins and it had issues. I rarely change the control scheme for games because usually what has been chosen as default is there for a reason. 

• AnimusLover
    Original poster 76 posts

@paviu7 It made sense for The Witcher 3 to have fall damage (even though the damage was excessive) because the way that world is made you are not expected to climb everything, you can simply use your horse or run on flat land. Valhalla is all rocks and mountains and yet has a parkour system. It's not fun to get around and fall damage just makes it worse. Thankfully this game is so buggy that spamming heavy attack upon landing negates fall damage so problem solved lol

I don't give a crap about fan metacritic scores. The Last of Us Part 2 proves that fans will vote on products they haven't even played. The reviewer metacritic for Odyssey is higher than Valhalla across the board.

• Lafrendgio
    30 posts

@animuslover
    1) I should've mentioned that Valhalla is also not an AC game. Like Odyssey, they're forcing mechanics that don't fit with a stealth-adventure franchise(It's literally in the name Assassin's)so what they get is a half-[censored] result and a torn fanbase cause they tried to please both. Instead of making a new IP for the RPG fans. Which they did way too late and is just a rip-off of another mess.

2) I can't really sympathize with this one cause it's pretty distinguishable for me. More so than the last 2 games. Bayek just felt slow with the stick and Kassandra/Alexios looked more like a fast jog than a full on sprint. They also ascend inhumanly fast. Eivor looks like they lean more into it once the sprint is activated while the jog is pretty slow with their bodies straighter(i love it). I agree that Eivor's parkour is slower but it really doesn't bother me.

3) Origins lets you change the over all control scheme. Valhalla let's you change every single button. Not every reason is right cause if that was the case we wouldn't be complaining. I change my mapping quite a lot when I'm not comfortable with it and the game allows me to do so. It's just you don't like the thumb sprint here and I do. Since Horizon: Zero Dawn and Watch Dogs 2. Like I said, this is what happens when they try to please both in a franchise that is clearly for a different demographic.

• guiwhiz
    10 posts

@sofajockey Are you being sarcastic? Asking honestly because I have literally played every single AC game (yes even those crappy 'international' games that look completely retro) and so far this is the worst game mechanics I've run into. Won't even get into the bugs that are simply beyond legion (this really feels like some of the open and closed Beta playing I've done for a variety of game developers).

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@animuslover I beg to differ point 1.

I love Valhalla for actually being an Assassins Creed game again. I am so far able to play most of the story in stealth and as an assassin. (Not killing many guards etc. only killing the ones necessary and keeping my blade from the innocent, operating from the shadows)

There is even the option to steal important items you have to get instead of killing the person carrying these items. Not necessary to make that trouble if the person isn't the thing you are after.

I love Valhalla so much for actually being bold enough to bring back such things. And all of that with a game about vikings. Of course you can play as a berserker. But I see this as the accessibility features for people who can't play otherwise. (Probably the same people who want to make Ubisoft allow us to slaughter innocent villages again)

• SplayzerEvil
    2 posts

@animuslover Sir/Lady, if this was on reddit you would surely have my gold!
    Im not even gonna bother to comment on the issues you described, bacause my thoughts are exactly the same as yours.
    Just will say that this is the only game I even played in which my thumbs are sore after a session, I usually play around 6-8h per day and no other game gives me pain on my thumbs like this one.
    This is the Ghost Recon Breakpoint (another Ubisoft flop?! you dont say...) of the AC franchise.
    I enjoy the story and set ups, but gameplay is in an all-time low in Valhalla.
    A total dissapointment it is...

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@animuslover Excellent review of the game. I've only got 40 hours in and I think I'm nearing level 100.

I share your frustration about the aspects of the game you mentioned, especially about the map, the skills (which don't work half the time for me) and the raven mechanics.

I say this far too often wrt AAA games, but it's as if there was NO testing done prior to release. I've also said this, the "games as a service" formula is an epic fail on all counts.

Devs will hate this but it is a lazy way to dev and release a game. Take the extra time you need to fully put together and play test the damn game BEFORE release, is that really too hard?! I realize its all about the $$$ but you're losing your player base when you do this. Why can't you understand its seriously frustrating to wait for a game release to find out its really not ready to be released yet. I long for the days of the game cartridge I guess, where games had to be 100 percent completely finished prior to stocking store shelves. The age of the internet ruined gaming in a lot of aspects.

I also pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 and I was glad to see it was being delayed to ensure a smooth release. I also fully expect the game to be released and I'll be saying once again, "it's just too early". Sad.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@animuslover
    The City of Montreal is in the Province of Quebec (as is Quebec City). Most non-québécois Canadians refer to everything within the Province of Quebec as “Quebec,” so it would be pretty normal for a Canadian to say that Valhalla was made by “Quebec.” Montreal is Quebec. Quebec is Quebec. Non-québécois Canadians generally don’t differentiate when it comes to whatever lies within Quebec’s provincial boundaries: it’s all the same to us. The people who live in Montreal are “ Québécois” as are the people who live in Quebec City.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@dreadgrrl We are talking about "Ubisoft Quebec" vs "Ubisoft Montreal". These are 2 different studios.

• AnimusLover
    Original poster 76 posts

@dreadgrrl Uuuhhhhh SoulDrinkerLP beat me to it but just to recap: the two studios are called Ubisoft Quebec and Ubisoft Montreal. Ubisoft Quebec made Odyssey. Ubisoft Montreal made Valhalla. That's literally how the two studios refer to themselves...

• SofaJockey
    169 posts

@guiwhiz Why on earth would I be sarcastic?

I find Valhalla one of the best ones. I'd be very pleased if the gameplay mechanics continue in a similar format in future games. (bugs aside which will be resolved)

My top 5 AC games would be (in no particular order):

AC II
    Black Flag
    Odyssey
    Syndicate
    Valhalla

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@animuslover That is correct. But the original post was referring to the culture, which is the same. The specific studio is irrelevant.

Edit: I should add that the whole thing would probably be difficult for someone who wasn’t Canadian to wrap his/her head around. I knew exactly what the post meant.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@souldrinkerlp The specific studio is irrelevant to the culture, which is what that post was about.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@dreadgrrl OP was too long and too whiney about Valhalla being soooo bad 🙂 I have a totally different opinion. I love Valhalla very much. Especially now that I have completed it. A true AC game again 🙂

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@souldrinkerlp It wasn’t the original post, but rather it was reply further down by a fellow Canadian that would be a bit confusing to non-Canadians which I was attempting to clarify. We have our own way of viewing things.

I thought the original post was spot on. I agree with the bulk of the points @animuslover made.

• AnimusLover
    Original poster 76 posts

@dreadgrrl OK, I see what you mean now. I didn't realise you were referring to Frosthound's post, I thought you were referencing my OP. Now Frosthound's post actually makes more sense with the full context, thanks.

• DuskDragon56496
    367 posts

too long and too whiney souldrinker ? i don't object to fanboys like you supporting their chosen game makers but if you are seriously saying this game is good and the problems aren't severe it can only be one of 2 reasons, you're feigning ignorance to support this game. or you are one of the lucky 3 people who got an unbroken game.I still can't finish the game because of the broken "A brothers keeper"and the gitches in this clunker outnumber the mysteries it has.Am I just being whiney not being able to finish the game?Support the company as you will dude but have the courtesy to not belittle other peoples problems with this game which are very real and very frustrating!!!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics