SofaJockey 169 posts
This post is deleted!
Arivati 7 posts
@karloz1995 I'm a woman in mid forties and I've always been playing computer games. I've played the Witcher and AC Origins - both male characters. However, I have switched to female while playing AC Odyssey and Valhalla. In the older games, i.e. Skyrim, you could choose race, gender, appearance and so on. No one is forcing you to play female and no one is forcing me to play male character.
Although, I agree that most players are males and the most games are designed to have male character, males are not the only humans on this planet and not everything is about political agenda. In this instance it's about being given a CHOICE.
LurcherLady 13 posts
@animuslover After giving it more of a chance (pre-ordered and now 130 hours in) I have to agree with most of what you say.
I was really looking forward to this instalment - 1) because it's set in the UK where I live and 2) in the Viking era. However, I'm finding sometimes I'll really enjoy it, things just seem to work fluidly and then other days, it seems really sluggish and definitely not enjoyable.
Odyssey and Origins were both very good and little needed to change really. It's sad that so much of the game has been marred by odd mechanics and game breaking glitches. I realise that they like to change things up to keep people's interest but developer's seem to have a tendency to compromise stuff that works and replace it with broken or glitched mechanics that just become frustrating.
I'll play it until the end now but not sure I can summon the motivation to replay it, even with a new game plus that will no doubt be added at some point.
Petrnev12 14 posts
While I agree with some points, the emotional background of what you wrote make it less constructive, also when you say "wreck all of the core mechanics" it instantly isnt true. I started Odyssey today after several months and it seems just better to handle the character, the game feels more fluid and the flow of combat and storytelling feels also better in Odyssey. Not to mention expanded skill tree where you can make choices whereas in AC Valhalla, you just get everything.. where is the spcialization in it? - it encourages no replay.
Karloz1995 268 posts
@arivati i never say i have a problem with having gender choices.. i though that was very clear in my previous comment, the problem is when they make a gender "choice" and then making one of the 2 genders canon (official) in this matter you are not being given a choice... especially when u are using male eivor and someone talks to you like if male eivor was a she... thats not a choice, but anyways is not like my opinions matter here anyways, [REMOVED].. enjoy the game btw im in my mid twentys just in case someone thinks im some old dude with middle age crisis, [REMOVED]
rorobfo 38 posts
@animuslover tl;dr BUT ()
- Falling damage is not that bad. Get the feather skill. When there are no hay stacks then usually there are some mushrooms.
- Horses work fine imho. Upgrades are meaningful. Press the shift key to accelerate (and use stamina) or use streets when you want to be fast.
- You don't need to use shields. i am very happy with 2 daggers. Helps with adrenaline as well.
- Parcour: There are opportunities in cities. which is nice. And there are caves where parcouring is necessary. Not my thing but works.
- Agree on boss fights. Hate scripted AE anyways. Or having to farm for & use special armor / equipment just for 1 boss. Well, they are not that many. Not more bothering than the intermediate Abstergo story line. Just go 'easy' on bosses with Kopis Dagger & Briton shield and switch back to very hard shortly after they are dead.
- Stealth and mob behavior: Fleeing wild life & the aggro deer are very good in ACV. All other AI is hopefully going to be improved by a game update.
RayMcGirk100 19 posts
@animuslover AC Valhalla is a horse designed by committee. It's not just this game, Ubisoft as a whole company designs their games by pandering to the loudest voice, even if it's a small number of players who are unsatisfied. Funny enough, AC Vahalla has the greatest sales of an AC game, and I'm sure it's because they're riding on the success of Odyssey.