Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• GhostAgent14
    Original poster 100 posts

So, I have a question about The Book of Dragons story arc and specifically the King Killer quest. Please don't read any further if you don't want anything spoiled for you in regards to the story. I know that I eventually have to fight Ivarr and I'm given two choices upon defeating him. I can send him to Valhalla or deny him Valhalla. I'm leaning towards denying him Valhalla because he killed Ceolbert, and Ceolbert was a good guy who didn't deserve that at all. I'm just struggling to see if Ivarr has done anything else to possibly make up for that. What did some of you decide in regards to this?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

I sent him to Valhalla myself, since I've always liked Ivar as a historical character and I think they nailed him pretty well in this. He's the stereotypical ruthless Viking, living by an any means necessary kind of mindset, though he has a preference for overt violence instead of lurking around, etc. What he did to Ceolbert was dirty though, that's probably the only con I can think of when it comes to Ivarr. I suppose it's down to personal preference and how you're playing your character. The Eivor I'm playing has a huge respect for the known figures such as Ivarr, Ubba, Guthrum, etc, while trying to make a name for himself at the same time. Besides, Ivarr is one of the few characters that I felt like my Eivor bonded with in terms of friendship, showing a mutual respect for one another. And honestly, Ivarr's fight and subsequent death was the only one that I felt really hit me, because I really didn't want to kill him. So with that mutual respect and friendship in mind, I sent him on his way to feast with his father Ragnar in Valhalla.

• GhostAgent14
    Original poster 100 posts

@fylkirpanzer
    I appreciate your response and your perspective on this. Gosh, we couldn't be any different on this one. As this quest went along, I grew to dislike Ivarr more and more. I just found him to not be a very honorable warrior at all. He killed Ceolbert just so he could get another chance at killing Rhodri, as he had a years long grudge against him. Ivarr's actions got Ceolbert and Rhodri killed very unnecessarily along with countless soldiers in a battle that was going to be avoided otherwise. I just found him to be a producer of disharmony and chaos all of the time. I took great pleasure in killing him AND sending him to Helheim. That's right - no Valhalla for Ivarr!! Lastly, at the end of the quest, I told his brother Ubba the truth about what took place.

• Zeb.Carter
    2 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

@ghostagent14 I can understand that, revenge was a huge motivator in Norse culture though. I don't like what he did to Ceolbert, but it falls in line with his character, he does even regret it to some degree as well.

• Gergid
    27 posts

@GhostAgent14
    I also sent him to Helheim but just because of Ceolbert.

During the Ledecestrescire arc I didn't like him - his recklessness felt dangerous. But in Sciropescire I changed my mind about him. I accepted his personality and thought that overall we both want the same just our methods are different. I also liked that he seemed to care about the boy.

He deserved Valhalla but killing Ceolbert was ruined his honor. It was not a fight it was murder. Did he gave Ceolbert a glorious end? Just left him in a cave to die alone with a dagger in his body. Just used him as a tool for his revenge.

Despite these, still wasn't a pleasure to kill him. Just disappointment.

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

@ghostagent14 I denied Ivarr Valhalla - like you said, he didn't do what a proud warrior should do, killing an innocent boy who looked up to him, and then wrongly putting the blame onto another innocent person and the subsequent fight resulted in so many unnecessary deaths.

Unless I am mistaken, as long as you tell the truth to Ubba about how Ivarr died (he died poorly), he would remain friends with Eivor.

• Sam_Boo26
    160 posts

I sent him to Valhalla, but I hesitated. Killing Ceolbert was stupid, and he was quite consumed by his hatred in Sciropescire, but he also did a lot of good things before. I ended up feeling that he was a strong warrior who deserved to go to Valhalla.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@ghostagent14 I denied him Valhalla. I saw no honour in some of his actions, and I felt he was better off in Helheim.

• UbiT00n
    Community Manager 73 posts

@ghostagent14 I also denied him Valhalla for his wrong doings.

Official Response
  • Kormac67
    731 posts

@ubit00n I had drunk with him and had liked him.
    I had killed him as he deserved and already avenged Ceolbert.
    So I sent him to Valhalla, I just felt it was the right thing to do. Even if he had deeply disappointed me.
    Same as
    spoiler

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics