Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• KarmaDash
    Original poster 7 posts

Unsure where to put this in the forum but I’ve gotten to the quest called ‘The First Night of Samhain’ And I can't help but feel offended by Brigid speaking Welsh as being called ‘unintelligible’. 

Welsh is so constantly the butt of many jokes that it almost feels like they may as well have written gibberish for how it’s played into her not being understood as a joke. Is there any way that the Devs would be able to change the dialogue to say she’s speaking Welsh or even Celtic rather than further adding to the stigma of Welsh being an unintelligible language. It’s bad enough that our history had so many people hurt that the langue is still recovering today from the influence that English speakers had in making it taboo to be spoken.

I fully understand that Eivor doesn’t know Welsh, but since the subtitles are only for the players it would be so much nicer to have an accurate placeholder considering you aren’t going to translate because Gunnar does. I know this might seem small and trivial but I really don’t like the insinuation that because you don’t understand a language that it’s of low intellect. It really come across as though you’ve taken the culture for your use (with the tale of Excalibur and the Mari Lwyd) and yet treat the people and language as a joke.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Abeonis
    55 posts

@karmadash She's not speaking Welsh, she's speaking unintelligibly. She could be speaking English or French for all we know. That is the joke.

Characters like Angharad are speaking Welsh (or whatever the local equivalent was at that time) and are perfectly understandable.

• KarmaDash
    Original poster 7 posts

@abeonis As somebody who is Welsh I know the language when I hear it, what’s she’s speaking are phrases in both Welsh and English that comes off as broken which is very common with bilingual people.

Im only asking for a small change to what’s written for her dialogue which ain’t going to affect you in any way. You don’t need to defend them using unintelligible to describe her speech.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics