Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheReignStorm
    Original poster 18 posts

Sure, I'm a bit disgruntled about the bugs after so much time in the oven but you always seem to put patches out in swift form. I've not experienced screen tearing once since the update (Xbox Series X).

The combat is wonderful, the soundtrack is amazing and the closer this series gets to an open world Soulsborne type game the more giddy I get.

When I played Odyssey, I thought, "how can they possibly top this?" The answer is Valhalla. Once this gets more polish, this will go down as a classic IMO. I'm hopelessly addicted to this game, so much so that I haven't even opened my PS5 or Demon's Souls (and I'm a Soulsborne-Sekiro junkie). What a treat to have this game as a launch title.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TORFINR
    364 posts

Judge the game for what it has to offer AFTER the main story arc.
    And dont let the void hit your butt.
    Odyssey had hundreds (thousands!) of hours of fun after the main arc. Valhalla has near to zero.
    sure sure, it's beautiful but it's empty. A shiny but empty shell.

• TheReignStorm
    Original poster 18 posts

@torfinr I have close to 90 hours and I've hardly touched any missions and certainly not the main story. By the time this game ends, I'll be ready to put it to bed. (I'm playing this on Xbox Series X and I haven't even opened the PS5 for Demon's Souls.)

If you remember, Odyssey wasn't the same game it is now at launch, I have little doubt Valhalla will see the same treatment. By the way are their daily/weekly challenges in this game?

• longjohn119
    609 posts

@thereignstorm
    If you like melee combat it's OK but if you want to play as an assassin or a stealth archer it is sorely lacking ..... Especially since the bows are complete broken compared to Origins and Odyssey

Did the world really need yet another melee combat game? I expect more from an Assassin's Creed title than what this is offering ..... If I can't play the game the way I want to play it (Combination stealth archer and assassin) I'm just not going to play it ..... Melee combat is boring and mindless, I want something with some actual strategy to it like Origins and Odyssey both had

There is not one thing this game does better than Origins and Odyssey that I can find, maybe the settlement but a lot of that is broken too

• TORFINR
    364 posts

@thereignstorm Let's hope you're right.
    The problem with Valhalla, compared to Odyssey, in its pre-DLC state, is the core of the game: nothing exists in Valhalla for evolving. If they want Valhalla to be as good as Odyssey in term of activities beyond the main story arc, they'll have to somehow rethink the game. At the same state, Odyssey had all for offering already hundreds of hours of fun beyond the main story line: we were already able to start missions, contracts, side quests, .... nothing like that exist in Valhalla. If they want to be on pare with Odyssey, they need to rebuild the game and add new things, or even modify existing features...
    Time will tell if they can do it, or want to do it, or are able to do it... but so far, with what we have, what we experience, allow me to be extremely pessimistic.

• TheReignStorm
    Original poster 18 posts

@torfinr Well, they certainly aren't going to rebuild the game but can add to it as they did Odyssey. Odyssey at launch was a shell of what it is today. Also, people hated on it (Odyssey) for being "region locked" something, I never once experienced but Valhalla is true open world - killing a level 340 Zealot as a level 123 was awesome. Then again, I take my time with these games.

When I first started Valhalla, I definitely preferred Odyssey. Now, it's completely reversed. The combat is insanely fun, the enemies varied and the various finishers kick rear end. I love Odyssey but wonder if you have hindsight bias? The enemies were few and almost the entire game (aside from the DLC) looked the same. The combat, by comparison, was pretty bland.

I'm more of a PvP Soulsborne guy but love to relax with a game of AC. If the TLC Ubi gave to Odyssey month after month is any indication, Valhalla will be shown the same love, I'm fairly certain.

Take care!

• TheReignStorm
    Original poster 18 posts

@longjohn119 I'm not sure I follow. Assassinations are the most OP thing in the game. I play mostly as an assassin, then ranger, then warrior. Talk to me Goose, why do you feel that way about stealth?

• Mataresian
    11 posts

@torfinr
    You mean empty as in: having the world filled up with as much [censored] as possible just for the sake of it? I grew tired of seeing literally the same camps and caves everywhere. With absolutely no worldbuilding going for it. At least with Valhalla they tried to connect a story to most of the locations.

• TORFINR
    364 posts

@thereignstorm Let's hope you're right! 😊

• TORFINR
    364 posts
    @torfinr
    You mean empty as in: having the world filled up with as much [censored] as possible just for the sake of it? I grew tired of seeing literally the same camps and caves everywhere. With absolutely no worldbuilding going for it. At least with Valhalla they tried to connect a story to most of the locations.

Ah then I disagree. I prefer having cloned camps than... nothing. What do we have in Valhalla?
    "Oh look a puzzle, where's the key... ah here it is. Now I can open the chest. Oh great, an ingot.
    Ah next site, oh look a new puzzle, where's the key for the door. Ah here it is, I can now open the chest, so exiting... oh an ingot.
    Next site, oh look a new puzzle..."
    But you're right, sometimes, they replaced the ingot with a useless ability scroll or a one time collectible piece of armor... great.
    The thing is once you've solved your 200 puzzles, collected all your ingots, useless abilities and one time collectible pieces of armor, you're done for good.
    That's what I meant with empty.
    Meanwhile in Odyssey, you had contracts popping several times a day, asking you to kill archers, burn boxes, sink ships... and these activities kept us busy and happy for hundreds of hours.

If my goal were to spend 80 hours in a game and then switch to the next one, sure, we can debate that Valhalla is not that bad.
    But as my goal is to spend hundreds of hours in the game, then it's just honesty to admit that Valhalla is not that kind of game in its current state.

• Netspook
    261 posts

@mataresian
    One of the MANY things that made Odyssey so great, is that there are TONS of locations that are completely OPTIONAL. And which provided MUCH better rewards than any location in Valhalla does.

"Same camps and caves" is far, far better than the mostly empty world in Valhalla.

• Mataresian
    11 posts

@netspook To each his own, I guess. I rather be immersed in a game world than feel like I'm in a theme park. I'm not saying I was always that immersed in Valhalla, I prefer a world like in RDR2.

• longjohn119
    609 posts
    @longjohn119 I'm not sure I follow. Assassinations are the most OP thing in the game. I play mostly as an assassin, then ranger, then warrior. Talk to me Goose, why do you feel that way about stealth?

Well the first three monasteries I did everyone was grouped up so assassinations were pretty much impossible ..... Tried some stealth bow work but with the Aim Lock/Assist broken I got b*u*m (Stupid censorship)rushed and ran out of arrows in 30 seconds and was forced into melee combat .......

In Odyssey at level 3 and no bow abilities I was able to stealth my way into the Cyclop's lair and take everyone out with a combination of assassination and bow ..... At power level 37 my bow is still as worthless as breasts on a boar so every raid turns into a melee ..... And how can you stealth assassination someone when you have to kick down a door to get to them and announce your arrival?

• longjohn119
    609 posts

@longjohn119
    Not to mention before you can even kick down a door you have to blow that stupid horn 7 times before anyone even shows up if you go in alone .....

• longjohn119
    609 posts

Now compare that clusterhump to this video

The video above was my 2nd monastery ,,,,, I decided that stealth wasn't going to be a viable option and neither was a bow for the most part since you can't lock onto anything LIKE YOU CAN IN MELEE for cripes sakes ...... and this is what happened on my 3rd monastery .... I did a couple more things and then realized this game just isn't any fun so currently I'm doing my second run through HZD but this time since I'm not recording it I'm trying to do just about everything except gather the all the random messages and all the hunting grounds (completed the Meridian hunter lodge quests though)

I know a what a good bow can do and if you watch any of my videos that should be more than obvious
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOysgvZQXRKc3_4POuBrmA/playlists

• ballon009
    12 posts

AC valhalla could care not for you if you prefer stealth. I just gave up, what is the point of stealth when i can just shoot the enemies in the head with a bow that sounds like a whip and have the enemies not even react to the sound.

The fighting is the worst aspect of AC valhalla. So i just skip all the fights.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics