ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• LaMOi
    Original poster 162 posts

I have to say, I struggled to get into this game at first. 
    As I’m coming off Ghost of Tsushima — which is a really polished game that plays really well.

So when I loaded up Valhalla, everything is so clunky. The combat, the control of the character the movement speed seems to be oversensitive, it’s very difficult to walk slow or to trot on your horse slowly. A lot of parkour animations and combat animations seem to quick.

But if you persist with the game through its clumsiness, and try to ignore some of the glitches. The experience really starts to open up. 

Exploration now feels fantastic. This is definitely the right direction for the franchise Ubisoft. 

Not only is the world and level design really very good, but exploration now feels organic and rewarding! Those two qualities are so important in any open world.
    Finding a chest is actually genuinely exciting now. A lot of the loot fits a clear in game economy, so feels useful. Plus finding weapons, armour or abilities is great.

This is sadly something many of Ubisoft games lack. Most the loot in their open world games is superfluous dross! It made exploration feel ultimately hollow and meaningless.

This is absolutely one of the games strongest aspects so far.

It’s great, because more and more I really appreciate immersion.
    And this game is by far the most immersive AC game to date IMO.

I hope that Ubisoft continue to double down on immersive features!

I love how the health is effectively tied to hunting and scavenging in the world. Hunting felt pointless in the other games.
    I love to have an animation for skinning the animals though. Why is that not in there?

I would love to see more lite survival elements.

I’m gonna do a couple of videos just show casing what I mean about exploration.

But thank goodness they got rid of health regen!

However, that being said — this game really did deserve to be a better game. 

The combat is average so far. The enemy AI is average.

And what the hell? Why are the enemies tethered to their spawn location now?? Meaning they chase you only so far before they seem to hit an invisible wall and clearly can’t chase you further...
    So if you’re trying to lure them away from the camp, they can’t physically move beyond this invisible boundary.
    It’s a lame scripting thats in a lot of other games but not usually Ubisoft!?! Which is disappointing.

Unfortunately too — the game is filled with little graphical glitches and sound glitches. 
    The camera is regularly going below the scenery when doing the charge an enemy to the ground ability.
    When panning the camera around the camera gets pushed in by the scenery so your character disappears??
    If you die and load back into an area the enemies seem to spawn in with you, so initially they’re all clumped together in a group and then they spread out back to their previous positions.
    The sound sometimes cuts out when your swimming... on the surface of the water.

There’s a lot of little things like this in the game that seek to pull you out of the experience.

Which is sad as I have a feeling this will be my favourite AC so far — it’s a shame it’s not as polished as Origins.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Netspook
    329 posts

@lamoi
    Hunting IS pointless in this game. Why? Because you get 1 or 2 leathers from a kill. A chest typically contains up to 30 leathers and metals.

Exploration is forced, not optional. And there's nothing fantastic or rewarding about it, especially when going for wealth. Because it will mostly give you leather and metals which you need to upgrade your equipment. You will not find a lot of weapons and armor.

You've only played 5 hours. After 50, I bet you're sick and tired of it.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@netspook Not true btw. If you hunt in higher level areas animals will give 5-20 leather but supply chests will give you 100 leather. Killing 5 animals is faster most of the time tho than going to a house, solving the "how to enter" puzzle and looting the chest and going back to where you want to be. So hunting is actually an alternative. Sadly the outcome of loot is tied to the power level of the region.

Personally I prefered the chests and puzzles. Some of them were very entertaining and not easy to solve. I love to have to actually look in the world and keep my eyes open for possible entrance points or keys or following hints where to find the key 🙂 Or (the main use by now for the bird) using the raven to look for an cave entrance near by for an underground supply chest.

• LaMOi

this game is filled with graphical glitches. FILLED.

This game definitely has a lot of high and lows.

I much prefer the design philosophy of creating environmental puzzles and allowing the player to figure this stuff out. I prefer that. It makes exploration much more meaningful.

But this game deserved better. It so many ways it feels unpolished, unfinished. And that’s sad because there’s a great game here, in parts!
    its a shame because by rushing this game they have compromised the quality and potentially squandered a really great setting!

• LaMOi

@netspook

well that needs to be rebalanced then....

I take your point.

Suggested Topics