Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 168 posts

I was just playing Valhalla and I realized something. I am bored. Which is a first, since I've beaten every other game in the series at least twice. So why did this happen?

Well, the game doesn't really give me the reason to progress. In Odyssey I could (and I enjoyed) min-max. I could put all the skill points into archery (and then mastery points for each additional headshot dmg % or ranged dmg %). Sure, I sucked at melee, but I could one-shot almost anything (including mercenaries). In Valhalla I am currently 253 power (I didn't beat it, but maybe I'm half way through the story? Without spoiling, I just met Basim in the south) and I have no reason left to keep levelling. I play on the highest difficulty and I can already easily kill anything. Wouldn't even need my vikings to raid as I can take entire villages all by myself easily (if only I could open those doors and treasures by myself as well) and the AI is so stupid they don't even try to attack all at once, often just watching peacefully as I slaughter their friends. As much as I enjoy the combat system (and I do), it's just not challenging anymore.

I've spent skill points on stuff that I wanted and even on stuff I didn't want. So no more reason to progress character-wise.

Exploration-wise I have no reason to do anything either. I've already maxed out the gear set that boosts my play style (Huntsman). As I play as an archer, no other set gives me the same bonuses, so I no longer need resources. Some world activities grant skill points, but I don't need those anymore. Some (like clearing out cursed places) reward player with absolutely nothing, so there's that.

And the story alone is not good enough to keep me playing. Not saying it's bad, but in game like this players need a sense of character progression in order to keep playing. I have none of that.

So yeah, goodbye Valhalla. I'll keep an eye out for all the patch notes, of course, in case things should change. But for now, I'm done. I'm bored.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat I don't get why the story is "not good enough". I think this story is far better than Odyssey and maybe even Origins in large parts.

Spoiler section with stuff you probably already have experienced so far:
    spoiler

I really love the experience by now and it gives me all the old vibes of AC. It's sad to hear that you couldn't find the same joy in it. 😕

• DaelosTheCat

@souldrinkerlp

I'm not saying the story is bad. It's good. Maybe it's indeed better than Odyssey. But the lack of progression killed the gameplay for me. I no longer feel I wish to explore the world or do things as I know that there's nothing new or better in it for my character.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@daelosthecat I played the game probably very differently from others. I first collected all the loot and then started to play through the story in one go 🙂 The story is so amazing if uninterrupted. Makes me wonder if they actually need these loot chests anyway again. AC worked without them before. But if they want to give something to everyone they might have to add more valueable loot.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

I think the story is nice, its not given me that sense of urgency I felt in Odyssy and I have a funny feeling Im not going to be left with my happy family ending..I hope Im worong, I dont like things too dark and depressing and there are some pretty dark moments in this story, things that I iwsh didnt have to happen, but oveall I find the story to be ok, just not as much to my taste as Odyssey.

Im wondering Daelos if there were other archer sets to collect would you perhaps be interested in playing more to upgrade them, or are you not bothered by armour styles and appearances? Some players arent, Im using the same spear Ive had since I bought it on the cash shop, so Im like that with weapons, Ive changed my bow twice but thats it. I change and upgrade all my chestpieces even though they are ugly because I need to change outfits all the time and I dont care for stats.

So Im pushing on through the grind to collect materials for that even though I really should just focus on story.

• DaelosTheCat

@cell1e

Well, I would be bothered with collecting sets if there was actually any benefit. Valhalla's character progression system is designed to quickly make the player overpowered jack of all trades. In Odyssey (even though, as I said, I like its actual combat mechanics and animations LESS than Valhalla) I wanted to become an ultimate archer. Doing so required me to FOCUS both gear and skills. It made me a godlike archer and a rather poor warrior and assassin. And I was okay with it. I knew I picked a play style and I stuck to it. Becoming better at it made it enjoyable. In Valhalla, no matter what skills you progress towards, you'll always pick others along the line. If you go to Ranged, you'll still be a good warrior. Not to mention that there are SO MANY skill points, I have already got almost all the skills in the entire game, thus becoming jack of all trades. I tried, just for fun, equipping another set of gear. And I was still ridiculously deadly. Enemies posed no challenge whatsoever neither from afar, nor up close. So what's the point of doing anything? This game is just not challenging enough and doesn't give me enough reason to keep playing it. I hope the future patches will fix / add things.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@daelosthecat

Im sure they will, Im playing on easy as combat is not my thing so much, I do love archery and sneaking too however and Id like a skill tree I could just focus on those skills, especially the skills I use the most. Im sure the game will evolve somewhat as time goes by, its a shame it wasnt more complete on release however.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@cell1e The ending is happy, dark and mysterious 🙂 There is stuff hinted at for the future, there is happy stuff and very dark and sad stuff. I love it.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@souldrinkerlp

Okay well as long as theres some happy in there, thats a win. Thanks for info! 🙂

• kephalonix
    9 posts

@daelosthecat

I am getting 'fatigued' with the repetitive nature of the game. The better your build the less challenging it becomes. At least let me turn on proper enemy scaling. The game does not really reward progress in a satisfying way. That said I have have certainly had my moneys worth out of it and will stick it out to the end.

• DaelosTheCat

@kephalonix

Yeah. I'll definitely play it again. It's actually a good game. Combat is enjoyable, I like the animations. The world looks amazing. But it's just not rewarding enough and not challenging enough.

Suggested Topics