Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@daelosthecat i have never seen this kind of petitions working... better go to twitter and make a trend, thats the only way to make them hear us

• Max18400
    410 posts

@karloz1995 people have asked for it on twitter. As soon as it was announced there would be no one handed swords, almost every response was negative and asking to add them in

• LeoRaptor1979
    99 posts

@max18400 Just because a body is found with a weapon doesn't mean it was there's. They might have been buried with the weapon they were killed with. They could have picked the weapon up when they were fighting someone. Unless you can show me proof that they used that weapon they were buried with then it is just a opinion.

• LeoRaptor1979
    99 posts

@max18400 Again none of lived back then means it is a opinion. Even expert give there opinion by what they find.

• Max18400
    410 posts

@leoraptor1979 first all, weapons in the viking age were very personal. Swords were considered companions, as were axes, and were given names. Warriors would decorate and engrave their weapons and personalised them. Spears held even more symbolic value as to qualify as a free man, you had to own a spear.
    If a warlord or warrior was to die in battle, they would be buried with THEIR weapons-their companions. Nearly all weapons found in viking age warrior burials show signs of extensive use, such as blade knicks and stress fractures. Not just some random weapon taken off the battlefield. Even beyond this, there are hundreds, if not thousands of examples were weapons were not purposely placed in a grave. Spear heads, axes, swords etc. In Winchester, they found a sword in a ditch. You have famous examples, such as the Abingdon sword (which was broken) which was found in a river bed. Not to mention hundreds of similar examples in hedeby, Dublin, York, birka found in medieval junk piles because either they were damaged beyond repair, acts of disrespect or just faulty.
    Secondly, look at the archaeological record. The Repton burials for example which are accepted to be viking casualties. The bones have clear tell-tell signs of what weapons inflicted their injuries. Grave 511 (most famous example) had his femoral artery slit by a sword, his arm nearly cleaved off with an axe and his skull punctured by a spear. Scholars can identify these wounds and match them with a 99% chance from a certain weapon, cross referenced from archaeological examples found across Europe.
    Secondly, the technology to forge such large two handed swords did not exist until the 13th century at earliest. Swords were extremely expensive and to forge a normal 1m long (at most), 1 handed sword was painfully expensive at the time as it took a very very long time. Plus, getting a blade that large to be hard, yet flexible and to be able to keep an edge was impossible.
    You're argument has absolutely no merit, no evidence to back it up and your counter argument is to say 'no one knows for sure' is holds no grounding. It's in the save sphere of 'space isn't real because I haven't seen it in person...'
    It takes 2 minutes to do a quick search online to see if two handed swords existed in the viking age, and you will find thousands of searches which will say no. You can read decades worth it scholarly research/books which will all say no, two handed swords didn't exist. There is no scholarship, no amateur historical website or historian who would agree with you on what your saying.
    Yeah experts say SOME aspects we will never know, such as the existence of shield maidens, or why the viking age started, or even the realities of norse paganism. But there are hundreds of facts can be proven and have been, such as what weapons were used in the period.

• FokkAsHorse
    5 posts

Yes to the one handed sword bandwagon. With unique animations.

• FokkAsHorse
    5 posts

I wish to skip the exposition and go straight to

When will you add one handed swords?

Because seriously, how was this even capable from passing focus groups of any human kind? Or employees who assisted with historical research?

• Leventry94
    15 posts

Don’t hold your breath. I’m extremely [censored] off at valhalla. They could have made this game SO much better and with Vikings there’s much hype that went into this game and it was a complete letdown.

Sorry if ai just ruined your christmas, I’m just really sour over this game.

• Alec_Fortescue
    16 posts

Plate armor sets and two-handed swords in this game is kinda like giving an AR rifle to a late medieval knight. That should give you some perspective on how long between the period the game is set in and the development of plate armor and "two-handed" swords. Odyssey gets a pass given the time it's set in - fantasy elements really enhanced it but as we go to the periods we're more familiar with less grounded aesthetics actually kill the fantasy of the setting.

With that said I wish that in the near future we've got some simple and grounded armor and weapons for the sake of role playing as well as one handed swords.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@max18400 recently some producer from AC valhalla has says that they are "listening" to players... hope is true, i giving this game a chances until febraury, wish they dont dissapoiint me, i like AC, just dont like the poor decisions that the developers are taking

• Max18400
    410 posts

@karloz1995 good. They'll either add stuff in February or in the Irish DLC pack. Either way, all we can be is optimistic

• FokkAsHorse
    5 posts

@leventry94 well, they flipped GRBP and did a 180 with it. Adding things from new weapons, to game mechanics. So you'd think they'd have the ability for an AC game which is their bigger bread winner.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@fokkashorse wish in the future they add it, but somehow i have a feeling that they never add one handed swords, just like in odyssey they never add shields... sad true, im just waiting for february updated to see what they implement, if they do nothing in that updated, im going to throw away this game... for now im very dissapointed with the game. the reason why it sells more then odyssey and origins is because of the hype of vikings AC , but people are already complaining at ubisoft for their laazy developed game

• FokkAsHorse
    5 posts

@karloz1995 I think this game is a lot more empty and buggier than the last 2 releases and I can definitely say that just the fact it's viking raises more hype because ...people are derr?

But usually Ubi put a lot of research into their games. And if half the team that helped with Odyssey, they should be able to make Valhalla a masterpiece and adding more sword types needs to be in there.

• Max18400
    410 posts

So, with one handed swords... Ubisoft have responded to the issue on this forum of no one handed swords and have passed the issues on to the devs and will probably add them in, either as part of the DLC or just an update.
    I'm a recent interview, one of the game producers or directors (I think) said that going forward they are going to be listening to fans and making changes suiting the players, so all we can really do is all optimistic.
    There really isn't any reason for there to be no usable one handed swords in the game. As the OP said, it's likely due to a oversight when they were testing the game. And it is likely that they will do something as (next to fixing bugs) it's one of the most complained about things in the game as you can go on any platform, and there's people raising the issue.
    Odyssey had at least a reason for having no shields that the Dev team did justify; whether players agree with it or not is a separate issue.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@max18400

wish they would start listen more often to fans.

• Max18400
    410 posts

@asgardian02 they should. But they could also just have fans play the early access stuff. Like I remember watching this one guy on YouTube praising the game utterly in its early access stage, and I remember seeing so many issues and things wrong and thinking why isn't this guy saying anything?

• rorobfo
    40 posts

@fokkashorse thinking of daggers as one handed fast swords & 2h swords as one handers after i got the skill for that. works perfectly for me. what benefit would a 3rd sword class briong?
    Would love much more to get a staff instead of a 1h sword. Fast and with a good range it had great animations and combos in Odyssey and Origins.

• AthulVishnu20
    10 posts

@karloz1995
    In odyssey there was an explanation. That we were dual wielding the spear. Which is at least acceptable.
    In Valhalla the explanation was that swords were not popular coz the metal was expensive so they preferred axes. Which wouldve been acceptable if we didnt see every single saxon holding a sword. And if they are so expensive why arent the vikings looting that and melting it? Beyond every logic..

• Max18400
    410 posts

@rorobfo no. A dagger is a dagger. And the great-swords look ridiculous. They're massively oversized. This is my opinion however and you're welcome to disagree.

That said, even looking at the average stats for each weapon class, normal one handed swords would fit in perfectly between bearded axes (average speed of 50) and daggars (average speed of 70). Not to mention, it is weird to have in a self professed well-researched (ubisoft have said they did their research) historical game and include a lot of weapons that aren't accurate to the period/are pure fantasy. Flails have never been a weapon used in warfare and certainly didn't exist in the 9th century, Great-swords came about much after the viking age and there's no evidence for war-hammers (outside of thor's hammer in mythology) in viking age warfare. So personally, I'd trade all 3 of those for a historically accurate, one handed viking sword in the game. Its pretty obvious by looking at a lot of the cinematics and stats that they were initially there, but for whatever reason were swapped for the final fantasy'esque great-swords last minute.
    Also, from a gaming perspective, they've really cut down the quality of weapons you can use in Vahalla. Why cut two handed hammers, staffs and one handed swords? It seems like a huge stepback.

Suggested Topics