Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

so I noticed the led on my videocard (on the 8-pin port) blinks white while playing the game. although it only happens every once in a while I'm a bit concerned cause it's an indicator of abnormal power going to the card. now the thing is, I only see this happen when playing AC Valhalla. which brings me to my main issue, cause this made my PC restart twice now. I'd just be going about a quest and my monitor will just go black and the pc just restarts. no crash errors or anything. I also play Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Control and it doesn't happen with those games. the led doesn't blink at all when playing those titles, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the game and how or why it's causing abnormal power to my videocard.

I'm wondering if anyone's experiencing something similar. it seem to have lessen after the latest update as it's not blinking as often and the game has not crashed yet. but it still happens, before the update it'll probably blink 8-10 times on an hour of game play and now it blinks once in maybe 45mins to an hour of game play. I am still concerned as this is my first good rig and I'm afraid of having a long-term effect on any of the component. all drivers are up to date.

quick specs of my rig:
    mobo: B450 Tomahawk
    cpu: R5 3500x
    ram: 16gb
    gpu: Radeon 5700xt
    psu: Thermaltake 630w

I also did some quick research but can't find anything similar to my issue. I have read a few who said their pc restarts as well when launching the game. but they didn't mention anything about the led blinking on their videocard.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@janvill It's your power draw. The PSU is not able to give the required power draw for your GPU to perform and hence it just turns off and restarts. I had this problem with specific games a year ago. I changed my PSU and it was fixed. Thermaltake PSUs are notorious to fail and they're usually bad quality. Get a better PSU.

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

@redindianrobin is it normal to be game specific? it's just odd to me that it only happens in AC Valhalla. I finished several games without any similar issue. in saying this, is it safe to assume they can fix it on an update? it's just not practical for me to change my psu just for one game, as it does work without issues on other titles.

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@janvill Yes it happens for specific games or all. It usually begins with specifics. For example, mine started with playing Fallout 4 and then it slowly started with GTA V, AC Odyssey, etc., before long it started happening with all games. If your PC just shuts off and restarts, then it is a sign of PSU failing. What is the actual model and make of that thermaltake PSU?

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

@redindianrobin on the box it says Smart SE 630W. I did a quick search on it and it says it has a fail safe feature. maybe that's what is causing the reboot.

on a side note, I've also seen some reports of their Xbox Series X and/or S that has been bricked, and they suspect it's because of AC Valhalla. it keeps crashing and rebooting their system and after occurring multiple times the console just bricks. maybe the issue is also part of how the game is coded?

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@janvill Most PSUs after 2015 has a fail safe feature but this is not your problem. Before I come to conclusion, how long are you using this PSU?

Also yeah this game has issues, even for me. It did freeze on me twice on the 100 hours of gameplay time I put(I have my PC heavily overclocked and turns out it wasn't stable after 2 hours on Prime95. I bumped the CPU voltage a little bit and freezes stopped. So it was instability problem in my case).

But the game's bad coding won't restart the system entirely. It will freeze or give a BSOD at your face. It won't restart. Restart suggests power draw problem. If the PC shuts off and doesn't restart then it's temp related.

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

@redindianrobin gotcha! My temps have been the same since I built the pc. The psu has been with me since 2016 o 2017. I can't remember exactly. The mobo, cpu, gpu and ram I acquired only a few months ago.

back to the issue, that is what's puzzling to me, is if it's the psu itself is the issue, why does it only happen in one game and work flawlessly with the others. Even disregarding the restart issue I had, I still only get the abnormal power indicator on just that one game and not the others.

• Plan3tCrackr
    46 posts

@janvill
    How many watts is the GPU using on average, shown in the Radeon overlay? Is this an XFX GPU? I'm running the game with my 5700 XT Nitro+ at 1080p, on TV, and with VSync and frames limited to 60fps and run maybe 150W max. No restarts but constant freezing requiring a force close of the app. This GPU doesn't have the power indicator LED on the GPU but my previous XFX RX 590 did have two, one for each connector. They were always blue until I tried swapping to a DP cable and then they were lit red even with PC off, even my Corsair AIO cooler RGB pump head was illuminating when the PC was off, even after turning off the PSU and draining the PSU caps!. The cable was back feeding power to the GPU when the PC was off and the new monitor was in standby. A call to XFX engineering support confirmed this. Unfortunately there are two types of DP cables, those with pin 20 supplying 3.3V from either connected source and those without pin 20 connected. XFX stated the GPU was fine and the LEDs were doing there thing to show a power issue but that the cable would not hurt the GPU. I found a DP V1.4 cable locally that didn't have pin 20 connected but no indication was made by the manufacturer or seller if the cable was active or not. This was a separate issue from what you are having but your GPU lights are definitely making you aware of an actual problem. Side note, I also have a Thermaltake PSU but a 650W Gold model and it has had no trouble running the GPU at 230 watts over the last year. I am just using less power since wanting to play ACV on the big screen with surround sound and using VSync to get rid of all the stuttering I had without.

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@janvill 2016 eh? Seems like it's definitely the PSU. I bought mine in 2015 and problems started creeping up in 2019. Although you could try what @Plan3tCrackr is saying before swapping the PSU. If could be a Radeon issue as well but I have a Nvidia GPU so I can't relate the problem he said.

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

@plan3tcrackr I have a Gigabyte card. I was able to play for an hour today without the led indicators blinking. And I haven't experienced any crash or freezing after the recent update, it's just the led blinking once in a while that's getting me concerned still. happened three times yesterday in a two-hour gameplay, although the game didn't crash I'm still baffled about the abnormal power going in to the card. observing the Radeon overlay, on the ground I see it moving from 120 to 170W on average. lowest was moving from 56 to 70W or so and I only saw this as I was going up to a synchronization point. highest was 190W. I only saw this once though. I'm using a 75hz 1080p monitor, V-sync on as well and on the Radeon app it says I'm getting 69fps on average.

and thanks for that info! I'm relatively new to the pc community and I try to absorb as much info as I can with these things. very interesting knowing about the cables, and the card having different led color to indicate different issues. I'm not sure if mine does the same, I'm just seeing it in white.

and with using less power, do you mean you adjusted it manually on the Radeon program? I'm afraid of tinkering with it too much, specially with the voltage and clock speed. I might screw it up. xD
    I only made a quick profile adjustment, I enabled manual GPU tuning and set the minimum frequency to 90%, and adjusted the fan curves.

also, just a random bug. AC Valhalla is labeled as Fortnite on the Radeon app. is it the same with yours? the time count on it is screwed up as well. says I've played it for 300k hours now. xD

• janvill
    Original poster 9 posts

@redindianrobin yea, swapping out the psu is not in the cards for me at the moment. unless it starts failing on everything I run on the pc. I haven't seen it blink today too, but I really doubt that it's suddenly fixed. I just did an hour session earlier and it did not blink even once. thank you so much for responding! I will keep observing. 🙂

• AngryJay13
    2 posts

I am having the same thing happen on mine, I was watching metrics and the temps are running in the 90c and the voltage is maxing out. Everything else i play works fine and runs at normal spec's Everything was fine until the update. That's when the crashes started.

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@janvill A thing I did to determine for sure it was the PSU, was running a specific program to stress test your PSU. It's called OCCT. Download it, click on the Power-supply tab and start the test. If your PC restarts within few minutes, then yes it's 100% your PSU. Run it for atleast 10-15 minutes. If it's the PSU, it will restart within those minutes. This made me finally buy a PSU which fixed the problem once and for all. I was going crazy last year, didn't want to believe the PSU is dying lol.

Also keep an eye out for the +12v rail in that program. If it drops below 11.4, then the PSU is definitely having issues.

EDIT: Take a shot everytime I said PSU lol

• Plan3tCrackr
    46 posts

@janvill
    Regarding using less power for ACV with my 5700 XT, it's because VSync and framerate cap in-game options are selected. The GPU% used in Radeon Overlay, CTRL+SHIFT+O, only reaches maybe 80% and GPU power maybe 150W with these settings. That is with the GPU in fully auto mode, which I never really use but am trying with this game for troubleshooting purposes. Auto settings for the Nitro+ are 2100 MHz GPU clock at 1189 mV and 1750 MHz VRAM clock, while my usual settings are 2040 MHz GPU clock at 1200 mV and 1840 MHz VRAM clock and a slightly more aggressive and fine tuned fan curve. When I use my 1440p 144Hz monitor with FreeSync I just have freesync enabled and usually don't enable Vsync but sometimes limit framerate to maybe 141 FPS and the GPU will run at closer to 200-220W in auto mode or 180-190W with the above undervolt settings and both will show close to 100% GPU utilization since I'm not limiting the GPU clock via limiting the framerate well below the capability of the GPU. It's a good idea to run any game without reducing settings, no vsync and no frame limit to see the max rate at 100% GPU utilization and then test with vsync and or frame rate limit if stuttering or wanting to just save power for a just as good game playability.

One problem with using the fine tuning for fan curves is fans will ramp up based on hotspot/junction temp, so if GPU edge temp is 60 C but hotspot is 90 C and you have a fan setting of 50% at 60C max of 85% at 70C, the fans will run at 85% even though the "average" GPU temp displayed in most apps is only 60C. If your GPU has a good paste job the junction temp shouldn't be over 15-20C max over the edge temp under full load which will help keep those fans quieter and card cooler. Undervolting from 1189 mV to 1200mV also does wonders for temps and the GPU benchmarks about the same due to the increased memory clock while reducing the gpu clock, and is stable on every other game and benchmark.

Don't be afraid to manually tweak your GPU settings in Radeon Settings Performance tab, the fine tuning option is more controllable in my opinion. Youtuber Ancient Gameplays is a good start for some great 5700 XT OC/UV tutorials, Radeon driver update reviews and even ACV and other Ubisoft game benchmarks. Tuning profiles are saved as XML files and are easily reverted back to factory settings by simply pressing the "Reset" refresh looking button within the program. 3D Mark Timespy is a good free benchmark to test such settings. It is joked as being the favorite game of many PC and GPU enthusiasts.

Now about Radeon Settings showing Fortnite instead of ACV...do you have any random icons being used in place of say green checkmarks when checking for new updates of software version? Regardless, a reinstall of the app after uninstalling should fix the problem. I've had the same bug and had the social media / streaming logos shown in the Global Graphics > Accounts tab appearing in place of games and other icons in the Radeon Settings app. A clean wipe and fresh install of the app fixed the problem.

• Khemicul
    1 posts

@redindianrobin I'm having the same problem as OP, and I really don't see how it could be a power draw problem. My temps are no hotter than they are in any other 3D rendered game, and well within the limits set out by the manufacturer. I really think it's just something with this game. Previous AC titles since Origins have caused pixels in my display to get stuck on certain colors, different for each of the last two games but always the same ones.

i7-8700k@4.3Ghz
    16GB Hyper X single channel (ugh) RAM
    alienware motherboard (2x ugh)
    MSI Ventus OC RTX 2080 super no oc
    Corsair RM 850x PSU

• Tombo707
    1 posts

Having the same issue as well. This only started after the new 1.1.1 title update. I've had this game since launch and never had this problem until last night. All other games work just fine, temps are well within normal ranges. I've also started to experience massive graphical issues as well. Looking at objects from certain angles causes them to vanish or distort, sunlight flashes constantly while moving around. Even at night while running around, the screen will suddenly flash like the sun just popped out for a second then goes back to normal but it happens every few seconds. For me, this new update basically broke the game for me as i can't even load a save game now without it force restarting my PC

i9-9900kf@4.6Ghz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    z390 ROG Strix Gaming-F
    evga RTX 2080 XC Ultra
    Corsair AXi 860

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@khemicul Download a program called OCCT and run PSU test. You can easily determine if its your PSU if it restarts in that program. Also watch out for 12v rail when the test is running. This issue always starts up with one game and slowly, very slowly mind you, will start creeping up in other games.

But then again, your PSU is of great make and model but just run the OCCT test once and see what happens.

• Arch3r94
    5 posts

@janvill Hi janvill, I have the same issue now after the 1.1.1 update, I ran the occt stress test to see if ,y psu was having issues and it wasn’t. It’s only running ac Valhalla after the update that causes my screen to go black after an hour or two of gameplay for no reason. Did you find any fixes for this issue, if so could you please repost here or dm me, thank you

• str33tbomber
    5 posts

Hi there.

Brand new PC here
    Ryzen 7 5800X
    Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Crucial Ballistix 32Gb
    MSI RTX 2070 Gaming X
    Corsair RM 750X
    NO OC

Given I only started playing the game 3 or 4 days ago I cannot say anything regarding performance prior to the present version of the game.
    Having said that the game never crashed before moving on to England. Since then I have had 3 reboots in random locations (once in a cutscene and twice while fighting and looting).
    I play other games maxed out @1080p besides Valhala for hours on end and I do not experience the same kind of issues. The Division 2 (which is full of clutter all over the place) and Cyberpunk (as demanding as it is with Ray Tracing) just as reference do not experience any crashes, it only happens when I’m playing Valhala.
    I even downloaded and ran OCCT for 20 minutes and found no errors.
    Any recommendations to mitigate these reboots? Lowering any specific settings would help?
    Any other suggestions!
    Thank you in advance.

• RedIndianRobin
    186 posts

@str33tbomber Turn on Nvidia debug mode in nvidia control panel.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics