Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• RGX-
    Original poster 5 posts

I'm enjoying the game but I prefer the story / exploration to the combat. I loved AC Odyssey and I thought it was enjoyable and well balanced for me but Valhalla combat is very difficult. I am playing on the easiest possible settings. The purpose of super easy mode I think should be that basically anyone can pick up the game and have fun with it.
    The first problem is shielded ememies. One of the first skills or abilities I get should be a shield breaker like the three tier upgradeable variant from ACO where you grab the shield etc.. I noticed early on in the gameplay that the parry doesn't seem to register very often. I see an attack incoming, I hit parry, I get knocked back and take damage??? as my power level has increased I am smashing shields away from normal enemies quite easily which is how it should be but that's me in a power level 20 area at level 100.

When I tried to fight (spoiler alert)

spoiler

Her level was 90 and I could not complete the fight until I was over level 100. I just ran around the countryside looking for arrows and health with a walking shield following me for about 20 minutes. Not a thrilling experience. I got a few lucky hits with arrows but there is definitely something wrong with melee combat. I was unable to block any of her hits only dodging worked. I'm ready for the pro gamers to tell me I'm doing it all wrong and I should be ashamed of myself playing on easy mode but isn't the game to have broad appeal?

The glorious visions of Britain are a sight to behold, a work of art. The colour pallette, the plants, trees, the rock textures, the brickwork on buildings and a million other tiny details that I know of my home country are breathtaking. The story is great, and the voice acting is fantastic. An amazing game but please tweak the combat for all player ability levels. It ruins the experience.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• DonParic
    23 posts

@rgx Well mate to each their own i doubt anyone wud mind if they add another very easy mode and lets say another super hard mode cuz ive seen few threads already saying combat is to easy. I personaly certanly wudnt mind it, same as in any game combat does take some getting used to, but in the end it comes down to stamina managment and responding correctly to visual cues of the enemies attacks(and yes certain attacks are non blockable/parriable so those you need to dodge), for me personaly playing on max difficulty felt okish until i started to overlvl enemies by certain amount so i wud very much like to see an option in setting for enemy scaling and some improvemnts to enemy ai.
    Also just a suggestion try some other weapons you might find some of them much better suited for your playstyle than others, but as i said i def support the idea of them adding more difficulties and doing some tweaking with ai and hopefully also add enemy scaling option.

• Elearon
    42 posts

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the new system.

It's too clunky, they broke dodge so even a quick dodge disengages you from the flow of combat, now, and parries only work sometimes with shields and less frequently with weapons. That is, of course, assuming you're not fighting one of the many characters with unblockable attacks and unbelievable threat ranges. All the while, fighting the sluggish movement system and the constant loss of stamina that makes boss fights way harder than they need to be.

Not to mention, the inability to craft arrows now means that if you're in a fight, out of stamina and too low on health (or fighitng one of those unblockable blokes) to get into melee, you have no choice but to flee or die once your arrows are gone.

• shaiwan43
    54 posts

I let my 5 year old daughter play briefly (under close supervision) and she was able to easily defeat enemies on Drengr (very hard) while barely being able to operate the camera and controls.

I am not saying this to be rude or as a dig, I'm just reporting it as a fact that happened at my house for whatever it's worth.

I feel that the difficulty is significantly too easy, even on the hardest setting. I was able to defeat a Zealot more than twice my level, I was also able to defeat regular enemies more than 5-6 times my current power level.

• Elearon
    42 posts

@shaiwan43 Well, either your daughter is very good and learned by watching you, or she has a lot better hand-eye coordination than a middle-aged gamer. Probably both.

• Bob__Gnarly
    49 posts

I'm having the opposite problem of the game being too easy even on the hardest difficulty and I'm no pro either. The combat feels like a downgrade from Odyssey, very clunky. Once you unlock a few abilities the game really opens up and becomes a breeze.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

Use heavy attacks to break shields. Heavy attacks will stagger enemies with shields before breaking them giving you plenty of time to keep pressuring them as well. Many shielded enemies will actually (stupidly) throw away their shields mid-combat too. Particularly the generic soldiers and Yeoman. You break shields in the same number of hits regardless of the enemy's level with heavy attacks. Light attacks will only break shields if you are well in excess of an enemy's level or you attack them many, many times, however. The only enemies with unbreakable shields are the shielded Kinsmen and Zealots, because they are designed around their shields and are meant to be parried and staggered to create openings.

You need to watch enemies to time your parries, you can't just press the parry button and have it always go through. Enemies all have different parry timings and some even don't fully align with their heavy attack warnings. Once you learn the timings, it's very easy to parry consistently on any enemy. Basic soldiers have easy parry timing that is almost impossible to miss, while Pikemen or soldiers with spears have slower parry timings where you need to wait a moment before parrying. You can even parry arrows or projectiles.

On the other hand, you cannot parry perilous attacks, the big red warning attacks, so if you're trying to parry those you will always get hit. You're meant to dodge those. Most of them are quite easy to dodge assuming you don't dodge too early before their tracking kicks in.

That enemy you fought that was very strong was a Zealot, they are not meant to be easy and are functionally boss fights. Each of them have a particular set of moves and specific counters. Some of them might be virtually unkillable until you've gotten specific skills. If you get Charged Shot, that counters ALL of them and does an insane amount of damage to anything else. I don't remember what Kendall in specific uses, but the Zealots with greatswords are maybe the ONE enemy in the game that actually does have an awful parry window because greatsword hits seem to land far too quickly in relation to their animations. If they were a greatsword Zealot, then yes, I can see it seeming like your parries weren't working.

I'd suggest you just getting Charged Shot and shooting any enemies you have issues with in the head because it's a one-shot kill on almost everything short of a boss and is the definition of "easier mode".

Other skills you might want to look into: Brush With Death is insanely overpowered and requires you only dodging to activate it, Last Chance Healing makes you effectively invulnerable until you're hit again after being dropped to 1 HP, Grit can negate nearly all damage from some enemies and only requires you hit them back after they hit you, and once you get better at parrying Missile Reversal can not only make you immune to ranged attacks but kill any ranged enemy that's attacking you for free.

• Elearon
    42 posts

@valtyrnine No one is saying that combat is impossible, or can't be learned, what they are saying is that *on casual* it is too difficult for a casual player. Not everyone has the time to spend perfecting a combat system they don't like.

• shaiwan43
    54 posts

@elearon

I think the difficulty varies widely depending on these variables:

1. the status of your weapons and armor (their levels and upgrades)
    2. your weapon loadout (single + shield, dual wield, heavy, etc)
    3. your learned skills (skill tree powers)
    4. your learned abilities and their levels (level 2 abilities etc)
    5. your individual ability (reflexes etc)

Definitely I think the bear skill tree + bear armor and weapons makes them game a lot easier versus the other armor and skill trees. Also having the correct weapons makes a huge difference.

• Elearon
    42 posts

@shaiwan43 If it weren't for the weight system that slows you to a crawl, I'd happily wear the heavier armor. They could have applied some other negative to it that kept combat fun.

I don't like combat in games as a general rule, I'm not particularly good at it, I've arthritis in my hands and other health issues that get in the way. Most of the time, combat is something I endure to get on with the story. I did, however, love the combat in 'Odyssey' so much that I'd go out of my way to engage in it, even when not necessary. I had hoped the combat in this game would be similarly enjoyable but instead it's returned to something I just have to endure.

Casual difficulties are supposed to be designed for people like me. I don't care how difficult they make the game in the higher difficulties, just give us a 'loser' difficulty setting for the people who aren't up for a hard fight.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@elearon I never implied it was "impossible". The combat in this game IS relatively easy, actually (unless it's on Very Hard). It's much easier than Odyssey where getting into a fight with multiple enemies or (god forbid) an enemy a single level higher than you could be an immediate death sentence. The parry openings are slow and big for almost all enemies barring ones with instant attacks like Skirmishers/Murderers/Sleekits and Men-at-Arms. OP's difficulty is less of an issue of the game's difficulty and more that they seem to be so used to just spamming light attack through the game and leaning on a crutch with the shield breaker skill from Odyssey before that they don't know the basic mechanics. I offered solutions to their issues.

About armor weight, the best set of armor in the game is one of the lighter sets. Check the set bonuses and judge based on those rather than purely how defensive armor is.

• Elearon
    42 posts

@valtyrnine See, I found Odyssey to be easy and fluid. Level differences were an obstacle early in the game but you quickly learned your safe range and I could routinely fight groups of 4-6 people a level or two above me by 30th level (1/3 through the game).

• JCar4327
    635 posts

I found the combat to be a little difficult in the beginning, but as I leveled up and my gear was leveled up the combat becomes way to easy. I just started my second play through; first was on Vikingr(default) and this one is Drengr (very hard), and it feels essentially the same. I am just starting my first pledge in England and I am already starting to feel that I am getting overpowered.

• DaelosTheCat
    169 posts

I found this to be quite the opposite. The combat is too easy for me even on the hardest difficulty.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@daelosthecat It's riddled with exploitative mechanics, too. Charged Shot might as well be an exploit since on Drengr difficulty it can still hit a level 300+ enemy for upwards of 2000 damage with a headshot. Enemies can't counter Kick of Tyr or Rush and Bash, both of which will completely interrupt any action they're doing and break their i-frames (I don't necessarily view this as a bad thing since the enemies cheese us, so we deserve our own cheese). With the right set of skills, players can be effectively invulnerable as long as they're pressing buttons thanks to Brush With Death, Last Chance Healing, Grit, Counter Flip, and Missile Reversal. Enemies will frequently just walk right into their own deaths by following the player up high ladders or walk into fires as if they're totally oblivious. I've seen enemies with torches drop their torches and then die to the fire they started on their own.

• Lafrendgio
    30 posts

@rgx 1st of all I agree with one thing: Goddamn England is fVcking beautiful. I feel like the level/map designers here took their time sprucing up the place and making it denser while Greece and Egypt felt rushed as if an asset brush was just spammed across the map.

The game's too easy when doing raids and fighting plebs. The AI is too dumb. But the Zealot's are on a different level when you're not prepared to face them. If you don't think you can face them. Don't. I invested in adrenaline and abilities just to take them out. But alot of them can also be exploited using the Missile Reversal skill. Just kite them to use their projectile and they're pretty much done for. Keep practicing your parry window. Cause it gets fun and satisfying just being able to parry regular attacks and projectiles. You don't have to run after pesky archers and flags bearers anymore.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

I keep seeing people say the zealots were hard. I thought they were super easy. The hardest boss fights to me were the three sisters. Other than that most stuff was super easy after gaining a few levels and leveling gear.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@jcar4327 If you played through the first time on normal, the experience with Zealots is vastly different than on very hard. They have an absurd amount of HP on very hard and can one-shot kill you with multiple attacks for most of the game, even if you are on their level. They aren't especially hard because you can abuse their mechanics fairly easily, but I can see if someone isn't creative and is beating their head against them they would probably think they're too hard since you basically can't get hit by them without Last Chance Healing and live.

Sisters are all pretty easy to begin with because they have no particularly special mechanics, you just parry them and dodge. Brush With Death trivializes even their perilous attacks, and Counter Roll negates them entirely. No matter what playstyle you use, you can always damage them efficiently too, which isn't necessarily true of Zealots. The Sisters also have very noticeable and predictable patterns they tend to follow while Zealots are more free-form.

Leveling up definitely makes everything far easier on its own. Fighting a Zealot at power 150 vs. power 300 is like you're not even playing the same game anymore with how you can straight up manhandle them, definitely a bigger increase that even what being twice the level would normally convey.

• Chevy_man2010
    83 posts

@rgx

Man, I hate to say this but combat is this game is horrible. Parrying doesn't work half time if it does work & dodging only works if you dont run out of stamina which is a pain cause you're watching for attacks not that stupid bar.
    Honestly, I think regular enemies are fairly easy but certain fights are over powered.
    I tried to fight a zealot knight that was level 90 & I was level 230 & still lost. I barely did any damage & I had on normal difficulty but everytime they hit me it took 1/4 of my health & thats with upgraded weapons and armour. I had same problem with a mad witch side quest in an area that was level 20 & I went back to fight her at level 250 & still could beat her.
    The combat in this game is way off & the bosses are way overpowered for the power levels.

I've been gaming for over 30 yrs & I've never seen bs like this before.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

Change game,really.
    Not every game are for everyone,and stop ask to nerf every aspect of the game, this is why today games are so trivial and has no deep.

People want play during watch a film.

No.

Game is too easy, only zelots are a bad enemy to fight because animation are ugly and glitched but no, game is for casual at maximum difficult, if you can't plat at easy, change game.

Suggested Topics