Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 167 posts

The more I think about my experience with Valhalla, the more strongly I feel that ultimately this GOOD game is just not rewarding enough to play. This has been mentioned before in a discussion about exploration, a discussion about equipment and this one about being bored.

THE big question: why do we play open world sandbox games? If you play for the story only, then, I guess, good for you. But purely story-driven games tend to not have open sandbox worlds.

In a sandbox game players need MOTIVATION. They need to know that some form of a reward awaits them after clearing a location / completing a quest / finding a secret, etc. Valhalla kind of lacks in all these departments. There's no reason to collect gear beyond "I want to collect it all" (which is not for everybody). There's no reason to level as the game is not challenging. There's no reason to explore as exploration only (at best) boosts character progression making Eivor even more overpowered.

So yeah, Valhalla's ultimate issue: It's not rewarding enough. I hope this gets addressed.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• geoage095
    39 posts

@daelosthecat I agree completely!
    The game has 80 boss-fights and only 3 of them (The sisters) reward you with loot. They went from one extreme to the other with Valhalla. There is just never a middle ground for Ubisoft it seems.

Also the fact that they tied EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF LOOT with exploration,forcing you to explore,is just lazy!
    You got bosses,named NPC's,legendary animals,critical Story NPC's......USE THEM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD like you did in Oddyssey!!

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

@daelosthecat I can't upvote this more than once but I wish I could. Part of the reason why I enjoyed Odyssey so much is because of all of the loot I could get from base enemies, clearing locations which had chests, conquest battles, naval battles and epic ships, killing Cultists which usually dropped gear or legendary gear depending on the Cultist, then there were the randomized, albeit, repetitive quests via the bounty board and finally, other mercenaries.

The main thing is that it kept me engaged, and playing until more content was released. The sheer amount of armor and weapon variety gave me multiple goals. One of them was to hunt all the armor pieces for transmog, and another was to see what would fit my build(s) and improve them, etc. I honestly preferred the old system, simply because I could alter it to some extend by swapping out stats, etc.

In Valhalla, I'm stuck with a piece of gear which is only usable with another piece of gear, which may or may not have the perks I want. So after I collected all of the gear in Valhalla, I've found that I only use two pieces of two gear sets, and one piece of one gear set to try and form a decent appearance (due to lack of transmog). As it stands, aside from maybe the Galloglach set, I haven't used another armor set at all, simply because of their built in perks which don't fit my playstyle. So all of that time exploring and opening chests for useless rewards was unrewarding and a major blow as to my motivation for the game.

At least with Odyssey, I could keep farming for perks or stats or armor I wanted, and eventually find something that worked. Same for weapons, not to mention I'd have a nice variety of activities to do until something new came out. I've accomplished 99% of all there is to accomplish in Valhalla, and there's no reason for me to go back into it, not until they bring in their new raid mechanics, which I'd wager would keep me playing until new content came out, or the rewards may turn out to be worthless, in which case there would be no point in playing until the next expansion.

I want to keep playing Valhalla, but there's literally nothing left to do after you finish the story arcs, complete all the fortresses and raids, and find all the little dots on the map, not to mention the tedious hunting and fishing contracts. No point in upgrading armor or weapons I'll never use so I've accumulated ingots.

Here's to hoping that they greatly improve upon this game in the next couple of months.

• DaelosTheCat

The reason (MOST) gamers play games is instant gratification. For big open worlds, things need to be gratifying, rewarding. In Odyssey (despite it not being my favorite game of the series) at least the loot system (which too was not perfect) gave players instant gratification. You could find an item that boosted you play style. If not, then it could be a cool looking item you could use in transmog. And you could dismantle it for resources to upgrade your ship, which enabled you to face tougher and tougher enemies at sea. Only by the end of the game were you godlike-powerful, which is the point anyway.

In Valhalla I am already godlike mid playthrough, so no amount of exploration, looting or questing gives me anything of value.

• DaelosTheCat

So a new update will bring river raids or something. But I'm still wondering: what's the point? What's the point of hoarding resources? Why do this at all?

• kmansp31
    45 posts

I agree. One of the reasons I enjoyed AOC and it had so much replayability for me was the reward of finding that new gear, or hunting a specific target to fill a set. This has almost entirely been taken away for valhalla. I wear the same gear set through the hole game, and have nothing to look forward to. It's just boring.

• martygod12
    237 posts

Amen to that .. wont say anything more about this issue since I said plenty in my post already.

I just fear that this wont be adressed at all, its just the game design, its terrible but it is at it is. They wont change it cause it would be more work and whats more important more FREE work for Ubisoft, they wont give you more gear into the base game into already completed quests and activities since there is nothing for them in it. No they will instead release one armor set every week or two into the store so they can milk people for more money, its sad its deceitfull but sadly its just how Valhalla bussines plan or game design is made 😞

• DaelosTheCat

@martygod12

But how do they hope to keep the players engaged then? I mean, I played Odyssey for a long time after release. Why? Because any activity was rewarding. What's the point of playing Valhalla beyond the main story?

• martygod12
    237 posts

@daelosthecat I dont know and I cant understand it also, as I cant understan how many people are still praising the game, its such a downgrade from Odyssey in almost every way.

Most amusing is all those ppl wanting NG+ like what are they planning to do there since there is not even enough content for one playthrough 😄

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

@martygod12 Just had a look at the store, the "designs" of the weapons and armors are so terrible and non viking that even if i wanted to spent money i would not do it!
    There is also a big chance you end up with unwanted special effects (black smoke/fire/cold air etc.)
    I have the ultimate edition and still walk around in the berserker outfit because its the only one i like (without helmet).
    Wonder why some youtube guy can be so excited about the store items.
    The ingame sets looks at least better viking and i hope we get new sets in the dlc's.

• Kirk-Punch
    6 posts

feel that there’s a bit of a misnomer here calling Valhalla an open world sandbox game. For me, sandbox games are along the lines of SM Pirates or Mount and Blade.

So games that are simulating diplomacy, trade, and wars in the background and then giving the player the agency to handle emerging situations as they see fit.

I don’t see where Valhalla has any of this though. It’d be cool for East Anglia to declare war on Mercia and the have the choice to help with a siege (that isn’t gated behind a narrative)...but don’t feel that’s ever going to happen. It’s basically a story driven RPG.

Personally, I enjoy sandbox games and dealing with the randomness is part of the reward for me. Feel there was some sandbox type stuff going on in Odyssey and that may have been part of the appeal for some people.

So not sure it’s necessarily a gear thing but there’s not a lot of emergent stuff going on to make a unique play through. It’s very “on the rails”.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    91 posts

The problem of valhalla is the lack of deeper gameplay.

Ok, i love to be rewarded with gear,overall after a bossfight.
    But not all player have my taste, so i can accept that in valhalla UBI choose to reward with skill point.

Ok.

BUT SHOULD BE USEFULL!!!.

Is totally garbage the way they created skill tree and progression.
    In a deeper game , skilk piint should unlock feature that I NEED ,really need!

In valhalla no, all skill are useless, you don't have to unlock the ability of wear something,or to unlock some new stuff, because after 200 lv you are god.

Do you want to reward only with skillpoints?
    Ok.

But make a system where i can't unlock all in one run, give a tree where i have to choose between warrior or assasin, lighr, medium, fat armor ecc ecc

You shoud need a skillpoints to grow you personal pg, you should need "one more skillpoints" to reach level xx in medium armor and can wear that chest,with no penalty and all benefit.

You want to be a sniper witg Arrow? Ok, work on skill tree dedicated, but you will never be a good worrior.

Limit is the way, skill limit.

• Max18400
    402 posts

This thread is gold and outlines a huge issue with Vahalla. Seems so many things were overlooked. No one handed swords, no historically looking armour (minus carolingian set), no satisfying historical ending and so few pieces of gear there's no real motivation to hunt down zealots, the order of the legendary animals other than to just complete the game. It just became a mundane (difficult) task

• XX-Artorias-XX
    91 posts

@max18400 yeas,agree.

And, i forgot one thing.

They put stamina/ weight system but in a light mode, that is totally useless.

In a deep gameplay, if you are "fat" you are strong but dodge should be shorter, climb slower, run slower, and you have to choose what type of gameplay is adapt to you playstyle.

In valhalla all armour are the same, weight is Just do 5/6 Dodge instead 7.

😭😭😭

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@xx-artorias-xx

when using double spear u never run out of stamine even though u use 2x 2handers..

• XX-Artorias-XX
    91 posts

@asgardian02 🙄🙄 this kill all pianification about build and gameplay🤣

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

Apparently there will be gear and weapon drops in the River Raids, which suggests they've already back peddled on the gear-scarcity, which was over the top in the first place.

I've played the game more than is reasonable since completing it, and I'm still missing about 25 titanium to fully upgrade the mentor set (and I'm not bothering to finish the hunting/fishing goals). It's mind-boggling to me people insist Valhalla is not a grindy game, as beyond the main story arc, it's nothing but grind. I never felt I had to grind in Odyssey. Some people apparently felt they had to upgrade their gear every single level, but that's self-inflicted, and you can feel the same compulsion in Valhalla. *shrug* It's just once you upgraded everything what then? Upgrade the rest for the luls although you have no intention of using it?

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@xx-artorias-xx

in order for a game to have cool builds and what, the 1st thing a game should have is cool loot.
    Which as you know this game doesnt have. There are no items that enhance certain abilities, you only have sets, no items that stand alone.
    The skill tree is crap too, where you are forced to select every single node, instead of being forced to select very specific nodes since you only have access to like 100 skill points.

and we can go on and on.

• martygod12
    237 posts

I am very curious about the river raids, they said there will be a lot of new gear, which in ubisoft language could mean 2 new sets and four weapons since they think 9 sets in the whole game is enough 😄

The loot/reward system really needs to be revisited and reworked altogether. I am not playing for a while, but as I can remember I could see where some new armors sets could be implemented and correct me if I am wrong.

• we dont need random loot like in Odyssey it could be fixed, but there just must be more of it and it should be introduced as rewards for various activities from quests to boss fights
    • give us at least 3-4 armor sets obtainable as rewards for doing main quests/story, which you will get throughout the game
    • give us 2 sets for eliminating Zealots and Order members ... this is most ridiculous and stupid when you fight a zealot which could be really tough and you get nothing for it ... just make them drop a piece of gear which will make a set together like Cultists did in Odyssey
    • give us 3 sets which you could buy from merchants around the world (some more common maybe something like NPCs have)
    • give us a roman themed set for completing roman artifacts side activity ... preferably late 4-5. century roman army style as it would fit better into the time period (look at Total War Atilla for inspiration for example)
    • give us a armor set for completing all raids in each kingdom, those are four sets in total and even non repeatable raids could be fun even in late game
    • give us a hunter themed set for completing legendary animals
    • drengrs okay you get runes for killing them but is it really enough? give us a 1 armor set for killing all of them
    • treasures of britain - again you get excalibur for collecting them all, but why dont give us also an armor set along the way, you have to complete like 8 of them and reward is only one weapons, otherwise its just a useless tablet and even more useless skill point, so one set here too please
    • give us one set for completing treasure maps
    • and give us 2-3 sets for doing other things like world events etc. they will be carefully and logically placed around the world

Those with the sets already in game brings us around 30 armor/weapons sets in the game carefully and logically distributed around the world and for doing various activities, if the reward gear system was like this I would be completely fine with it, I would even replay the game again if the implement it.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 100 is too few. There should be enough to fully max out 1 specific tree, maybe more, but 200 should probably be the max. Maybe let people pick specific paths and give them extra boosts depending upon what they pick, so say a universalist who can do everything but not well gets perks specific to that and the same for a pure assassin / hunter warrior or a hybrid of any. Or maybe really have 100, but lock the remaining ones in each tree behind the path a player picked. Since the gear is reflected in the skill tree, allowing hybrid builds could also be reflected in hybrid gear sets.

I can't see them completely overhauling the skill tree though, so I guess we are stuck with it. I wonder if they copied the raven/wolf/bear thing off the witcher? But in the Witcher it was just gear, and made sense. Here it only matters at the beginning.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics