Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Lavender_Gooms
    Original poster 16 posts

So I just finished Valhalla. Or at least, I helped Sigurd find the simulation and then got punted back to the real world where Layla then sacrificed her life and Loki is now immortal and i'm playing as him now.

And I actively no longer wish to play.

Why would I? I can't have fun running around Norway and England as Eivor when I know it's just the bad guy watching and learning everything.

The bad guy wins, everybody. Congratulations, we're [censored].

It's so bad that I probably won't ever play an Assassins Creed game again, if this is the new normal we have going forward. An immortal shitbag forever using the knowledge of the world to do whatever he wants. It's maybe the worst story ending i've ever seen.

Great job, guys.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lavender_gooms Is Basim/Loki the bad guy? Why so?

• Lavender_Gooms
    Original poster 16 posts

@souldrinkerlp See: literally every action he takes the entire game, both as Basim in England and as Loki in Asgard/Jotunheim.

He's Loki. The definition of an untrustworthy piece of crap who only cares about himself and will burn anyone to get what he wants. I have less than zero interest in playing that character.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lavender_gooms You realize that the evil dude is Odin (Eivor), aye? Not Eivor himself tho, he basically declined Odin in the end.

You realize that Fenrir is not actually a huge angry and dangerous wolf, aye? It's the son of Loki and Aletheia. They are from 2 different "tribes" of Isu. Odin disliked that as calculations showed it would mean his end and thats why Eivor sees the son as a monster. Loki has really true and reasonable motives.

Norse mythology shouldn't be the measurement for who is evil and not. Norse mythology is the reason we see Odin, Fenrir as a wolf etc. It's because Eivor accesses his own memories from the Isu past as Odin through the lense of a believer of norse mythology.

• Lavender_Gooms
    Original poster 16 posts

@souldrinkerlp Multiple people can be bad at once. Odin sucks and he's dead. Loki sucks and now he's the main character.

I don't care to participate in that story.

• iamthespark
    6 posts

I felt the same. Knowing that he was watching my memories felt like a violation, especially considering my romance scenes!

• Lavender_Gooms
    Original poster 16 posts

@iamthespark Thank you for saying this, because it clarifies a lot why I hated this so much.

We forget a lot of the time that this series is people watching other people's memories. Mostly it's ignored because it's passive or benevolent, people with good intentions observing people who are long dead. But this changes that entirely. Basim knew Eivor, knew her friends and family. Ultimately worked in opposition to her and then was defeated by her.

Me continuing to observe her memories as him feels like a betrayal of everything she stands for. I don't want to be complicit in that.

• Dragonsnuts
    16 posts

@lavender_gooms
    I felt the same way. I went so far as to start a new play through so I could do more of the stuff in the game as Layla and not Loki. I really hated the ending, oh well sucks for me.

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

@dragonsnuts Had a bad feeling from the start with Basil, so much that i didn't like to work with/for the hidden ones.
    Now at the end its more worse and a complete disaster, what a amazing bad story!

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

I honestly liked the twist at the end where you're now playing as Loki/Basim, as someone who hates the modern day stuff, all of the arcs felt interconnected and lead ultimately to this, which felt nicely done and coherent. I don't particularly care how they portrayed Odin at the end, but what's done is done at this point.

• Dragonsnuts
    16 posts

@fylkirpanzer
    I do see that it's a lot of my personal bias that colors my "like" of the ending. However I can admit they certainly subverted my expectations in an unexpected way. That being said it's not something I look for in stories I like. Still don't like it.
    Edit: I also never cared for the modern day stuff and I did like that in Odyssey and Valhalla they didn't force more than was necessary for the story.

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

@dragonsnuts Same for me honestly. From the start of the series, excluding at least the introduction of things, the modern day stuff never made sense to me. Mostly because throughout all this time of making AC games, they have yet to make a modern day AC. I've really tried liking the modern day stuff, but it just felt boring and uninspired, which is why this modern day for Valhalla actually surprised me, and made me like it. That being said, it's too little too late really unless they plan on making Loki the pro/antagonist for the rest of the series or something.

• RNREED2008
    3 posts

@souldrinkerlp agreed. Odin is more of a villan than Loki.

• Andreas-Bo
    4 posts

@lavender_gooms Same here. I've played ALL AC games - THIS is the baddest ending so far. Firing AC origins up again. and waiting for the DLC's for Valhalla.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@andreas-bo Bad in a sense of bad quality? Because I think it's one of the best they pulled off for a long time.

If you mean bad in like "evil" as opposite of happy ending I quote my own reply to another thread like this:

The games whole premise is that these mythologies are not what they seem to be. They are basically tales of the Isu being changed over time into legends about gods. So Lokis character traits used in these mythologies are what the history writing Isu saw him as.

According to the Isus the Assassins (Adam and Eve) are evil and bad. So we were playing the bad guys from the beginning. The actual historical assassins weren't heroes either.

The question may be: Were Odin and his companions on the side of humans and their rebellion (Assassins) or against it and wanted order and control (Templars). And which story does the norse mythology represent?
    And even with Assassins vs Templars it isn't black & white since AC Rogue at least.

I hate these words "Good & Evil". AC is not that simple. Every character has motivations which ultimately drive their actions.
    Basim basically accepted his fate of being a reborn Loki. He thought Sigurd is the one who killed his son in the past but in the end realized Eivor was Odin. But Eivor declined Odin. Basim will basically see this and hopefully address this fact in the next game.

All of this from Basims View was him getting revenge for the wrong doings Odin did to him. He was awakened and became Loki so he thought with Odin happened the same. That's why he wanted to kill Eivor in the end when he realized he was Odins reincarnation. But we as the player (and now maybe even Basim) knows that Eivor declined to be the reincarnation of Odin. (The kill room sequences etc. where you actually fight Odin, unequip your weapons and lock him out (even metaphorically by a door) of his powers over Eivor)

Edit: And even Odin isn't purely evil. He is possessed by the prophecy (calculations of the future) which showed him die. So he has a motivation for what he does and yes like nearly everyone on this planet he acted egoistically. By doing so he harmed Loki very much. Yes, Loki was from Jotunheim and accepted in Asgar and he didn't follow their rules (because he loved the wrong person) but the rules seem like they are stupid in the first place tbh.

Edit2: I also don't want to invalidate your opinion but give you another view angle on it which may help you to see it in a different light. (After all Basims reaction at the campfire seeing Eivor wasn't one of disgust or anything. Seems like Basim now knows what Eivor went through)
  • Andreas-Bo
    4 posts

@souldrinkerlp No No. The Quality of the game is great. 10 + - I just felt like : " Okay..... that was it? " so, i will wait for the DLC's . And they will be great - I hope 😉 .

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@andreas-bo It's a typical AC ending tbh. We had cliffhangers a lot back then. 😉 I am really excited for what will come in the future.

• Andreas-Bo
    4 posts

@souldrinkerlp Yes. Same here 🙂 Stay healthy . 🙂

• Lavender_Gooms
    Original poster 16 posts

Basim is the antagonist because he acts in direct opposition to the protagonist.

Odin has nothing to do with it. Basim not liking Odin being the reason he betrays Eivor, tricks Layla, and then loots Eivor's memories against her will doesn't make all that better because Odin was a jerk. Yes he's correct, Odin sucks. He goes over the top with it and screws over many other people in his quest for revenge.

I don't care about good and evil and getting hung up on those words is a waste of time. I don't want to play as the antagonist.

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

So we can stop wondering about legends, its all ISU!
    Playing a video game isn't enough simulation the story must be a simulation as well, the ISU and modern day lore has become the major line of the AC series and screw your main character a returning fact.
    Lost my fun with AC games.

Suggested Topics