Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• LaMOi
    Original poster 159 posts

I have to say I’ve always felt the same, with this series. I’ve never liked the modern day sections.

I honestly don’t know why people like the modern day animus sections.....

As soon as the game gets to those bits — I’m like right, how do I get this crap over with as quickly as possible and get back to the good stuff....

It’s boring.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

@lamoi I agree with this. However I must say, that I actually like this particular game's modern day arc, since all of the story arcs tie into each other. Mostly the Asgard/Jotunheim arcs, the arc involving Sigurd and Basim, and the Modern Day stuff.

I was for once, pleasantly surprised at how it all fit together, unlike previous games where things felt forced and unwieldy. That being said, I could honestly live without the modern day sections as a thing.

• Flanker1Six
    97 posts

@lamoi Ditto. Story writing has always been one of Ubi's major weaknesses across all it's franchises (the one's I've played anyway).

Given the ongoing rivalry (conflict? war?) between the Assassins and the Templars; I can see the need to use some story/plot mechanism to tie the various AC episodes together, however as with many things in life; implementation is vital, and AC's modern day animus sections are jarring and simply don't work for the reasons you noted. If AC was a course I was taking; when it got to the MD/Animus----I'd slip out the back and go do something constructive........................like watch the lawn grow, 😌

• LaMOi

@flanker1six

look at this ——

it looks awful. Looks like a cutscene straight out of Resident Evil 4.

character models look like an XBOX360 game. Animation looks like that old puppet show Thunder Birds! It’s really bad.....

• Patricia81994
    113 posts
    I have to say I’ve always felt the same, with this series. I’ve never liked the modern day sections.

I honestly don’t know why people like the modern day animus sections.....

As soon as the game gets to those bits — I’m like right, how do I get this crap over with as quickly as possible and get back to the good stuff....

It’s boring.

Same here like in Odyssey the first playthrough i was like lets see what they have to say and what i have to do ( yep boring ). So the second third and fourth playthrough i rushed through it as quickly as possible to as you said get to the good stuff again. 😏

I haven't finished Valhalla yet so i'm not sure if there will be a second playthrough and what i've read so far ( spoiler free ) there will be no second playthrough for me. I will at least go through the whole animus again in this playthrough because i might miss something ( for the story ) but if there will be a second playthrough i will rush through it again.

• Bob__Gnarly
    49 posts

Same here.

Always try to skip these parts ASAP.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

Simple: Because it gives a greater context to everything. There is a reason to visit these time periods to begin with. It is also best when the things they present are plausible. That basically changed a bit after AC4. It's an extra layer to story telling and it ties into each other and give everything a greater reason. Fan of modern day since AC1.

Edit: And the way they did it in Valhalla you can hardly complain. 1 Section at the beginning, 1 at the end. Then there is actually an epilogue in the Animus. The story of Eivor is basically finished to the part where it is important for the modern day story arc. So the last modern day part is actually the ending of the game. Everything after that is just epilogue.

I would prefer more modern day sections but I think this is an okayish compromise.

• LaMOi

@souldrinkerlp

Not sure I agree.

If it were just a story through time, handed down through the descendants of previous Assassins. That would work fine.

I honestly don’t think the Animus stuff is that interesting or strong enough be essential.

The strongest stories this series has seen have all been from the historical protagonist, and stronger when the story largely ditched the Animus narrative.

My favourite being Edward Kenway’s story.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics