Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• LaMOi
    Original poster 88 posts

Can you actually attack with your weapon whilst on the horse like you could in Odyssey? I just seem to be kicking people in the face?

Do you now have to upgrade to be able to use weapons on horseback or something??

don’t tell me it’s been removed.....?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• KmarkoPL
    195 posts

@lamoi No you can't
    No.
    Yes it is not been implemented in this game

• LaMOi
    Original poster 88 posts

@kmarkopl

whaaaaaaaat???

why would they take that out??

Thats rubbish!

• petek
    65 posts

@lamoi
    Yes it is!

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lamoi I felt like it didn't really work well in Odyssey anyway. Especially because the horse was buggy as hell. You can still shoot arrows tho on horseback. Which I occasionally did if someone followed me.

• JCar4327
    626 posts

This was one of the things that surprised me that they took out. All you seem to be able to do is kick at someone and it doesn't do much damage. You can still use your bow, but with aim lock removed, or not working properly, it is difficult to hit things unless you are sitting completely still.

• MissM16
    213 posts

Oh great. Another feature they took away for no reason.

This game... *facepalms*

• LaMOi
    Original poster 88 posts

@souldrinkerlp

it’s really BS.…

Who would’ve been so easy to keep it. I don’t know why they actively removed it.

With spear in hand are used to be pretty good on the horse, it was useful for kind of whittling down tougher enemies health and then jumping off your horse to finish them off. I really enjoyed horse combat I can’t believe they took it out.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lamoi So it seems like you were able to cheese combat with it? That explains why they removed it then.

• MissM16
    213 posts

@souldrinkerlp

How does that explain it? Why would Ubi care how we play a single player game?

Cheesing combat from horseback or fighting bosses bare handed with a self imposed permadeath rule does not affect other players.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@missm16 Because it wasn't intended to be cheesed in the first place and they opted for a different combat style from Odyssey which to be honest is absolutely understandable as vikings did fight differently. They want to enforce more on-foot melee.

It's about creative vision and not "affecting other players". You will have a lesser experience if you can literally do everything you could imagine. Not every game needs to do everything and that's fine. So they saw it's pretty lame to do this cheese and decided to remove horse combat (for now probably instead of fixing it)

Edit: And to be fair: Pulling of horse combat in a good way in games is very hard.

• MissM16
    213 posts

@souldrinkerlp

I see what you're saying about their intent and creative vision.

It's just that... their creative vision involved removing so many features a lot of us have grown accustomed to, it feels like we're left with a beautiful albeit empty world to fill with things we have lost.

I'm not seeing their creative vision. I'm seeing a handful of yellow loot dots on a huge map that give me leather and ore I can collect from hunting and smashing rocks and a useless horse and bird. Know what I mean?

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@missm16 I see a mostly well structured and told story and with a lot better pacing than Odyssey and Origins had. I do enjoy a good story way more than a mindless grind. I can do grinding if the story is worth it. Others might look for a different thing in singleplayer games but I want an awesome story and Valhalla has one which is very grounded in actual history.

• LaMOi
    Original poster 88 posts

@souldrinkerlp

it’s not a cheese tactic at all.

The warrior on the horse of course has an advantage to the one on foot.

Horse combat was fun. It’s thats simple. Taking it out doesn’t improve the game, it just limits options — that’s it.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@lamoi Norsemen didn't use horses in combat. So they aimed for a different type of combat for this game.

Edit: I don't get why every game has to do the exact same thing again. I like the game trying new ways of combat fitting the time period and faction we play.

• MissM16
    213 posts

@souldrinkerlp

Ahhh now that we can agree on. 😊

Story is most important to me as well. I'm not that far into the story yet as I like to save the best for last.

I usually open the map first and explore, hunt, loot, do side quests etc. but if the story is worth it like you say, I'm gonna shut up now. lol

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@missm16 Yea, I played the game exactly like that. First looted everything and then went through the story. It was awesome 🙂
    Especially you can actually solve a lot of the story quests with stealth. That's something I really enjoy. There are basically 3 regions where you want to play stealth anyway as they are all AC like but you also have the big fights with all the viking fantasy you want from a vikings game imo. 🙂

• MissM16
    213 posts

@souldrinkerlp

Yeah I really like assassinating. The guaranteed assassination kill was the first thing I turned on in my hub. lol

I struggled so much with melee combat in Odyssey I had to talk myself off the precipice of rage-quitting almost every day in the beginning. I played on Easy but the enemies behaved exactly the same as they did on Nightmare.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@missm16 I think AI behaviour is still the same in Valhalla no matter which difficulty you choose. Sadly.

There are some enemy types which can be pretty annoying but in the most cases it's most effective to get behind an enemy and hit from the back.

• JCar4327
    626 posts

@souldrinkerlp Yeah they dumbed down the AI too much in some cases; animals for example just seem to stand there a lot and take whatever damage you dish out. They attack a bit, but they don't really try to defend themselves too much. I, personally, would rather have the animal fights we had in Origins and Odyssey over the current state of such fights.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics