Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Forum settings for pagination / notifications / topic watching etc. are resetting / reverting randomly | POST HERE

0 Likes/8 Replies/157 Views
    TheCosmicBob
    Original poster 73 posts

I dislike the infinite scrolling. Fortunately in my profile settings, there is a check box to turn on pagination. So, I checked it and saved the change and pagination was working.

Next time I had to log in (because the forum logs me out after a short time, it seems) infinite scrolling was back. I thought I just forgot to set it. So I set it again in the settings page.

Infinite scrolling came back. I set it again and it's back to 20 topics per page.

But, why doesn't my setting stick?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1268 posts

Hey TheCosmicBob, thanks for reporting this issue.

I've been experiencing this myself today, so I've already gone ahead and reported this issue to the forum developers. I'll share an update as soon as I can on this. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the resets in the meantime!

Official Response
  • bitebug2003
    107 posts

For some reason the option to paginate threads won't stick after saving changes

The checkbox unchecks itself and I am left with an infinite scroll again.

I have set it to 10 threads but it goes well beyond that

• Ubi-Baron
    Ubisoft Support Staff 789 posts

@bitebug2003 Thanks for the report.

This is something we are aware of and should be fixed today!

Official Response
  • Ubi-Woofer

@bitebug2003 Just to follow up on my colleague Baron's post - this should now be resolved, and the settings should stick to what you choose! Please let us know if you continue to experience issues with this so we can investigate further if needed. Thank you!

Official Response
  • bitebug2003
    107 posts

@ubi-woofer @Ubi-Baron Thank you both 😊 This has been resolved 😊

• jeje_71
    71 posts
    • imho the way infinite scrolling is implemented is really unusable, as soon as a thread has lots of reply, that's just useless to try to navigate in it.
    • that's why i switched to paged display because it may be old school, but it's still better than the 'modern' version, but now my problem is after a few weeks, the profile lost the parameter and reverted me back to infinite scrolling, so there is a problem with the profile
    • the other annoying thing is 'keep me logged' doesn't work at all, pretty much each time i get back to the forums, i'm logged out be it after a few days or even half an hour.
    • so i suggest you would also put forum preferences in the browser localstorage, so that even when not logged back, we still get basic preferences on a specific browser as long as we set it at some time. profile preferences would override local preferences, but still when logged out you would retain most of them.
    • as to infinite scrolling, imho, this can only work if associated with a thread navigator like a timeline and the basic functions would be to skip to the end or the beginning and maybe also all official answers. (this timeline could also be used in paged mode)
  • Ubi-Woofer

Hello all! I just wanted to confirm again that the issue with settings not saving properly was corrected shortly after I replied to this thread back in December. We've not seen this issue with settings resetting reoccur since, but if it should start happening again, please let us know so that we can take a closer look into this. 🙂

@jeje_71 - Thank you for sharing these points of feedback with us! I merged your thread with this one as you had mentioned the issue described here in your thread title and post, so figured it would be best-placed here. I'll reply to your other points separately below - any additional feedback you provide in response will be much appreciated!

• Staying logged in doesn't work: These Discussions forums require additional authentication at each login if you have two-factor authentication (2FA) active, so if you have this enabled, it may contribute to why you are required to log in so much. However, we are aware of an issue whereby the "remember me" functionality does not work as expected, and there's a thread on that here. I also raised that logouts from the site may happen more frequently than intended, so that is also being looked into.
    • Timeline / skip to official posts: This is a neat suggestion, and I'll pass it forward to the forum developers for them to review! I did already submit a suggestion to add the "jump to last official response" button within threads as well as on the overview of a thread in the listings, so this may also cover what you've suggested partially. Thanks for sharing this!

Let me know if you have any additional feedback to share!

Official Response

Suggested Topics