Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• rustynailz121
    18 posts

@ubi-woofer I don’t mean to attack you personally. You are the representative of the company who has unfortunately put out a defective product. We, in good faith trust that Ubisoft will put out a great game that we can enjoy and especially complete.

For me it is VERY frustrating and infuriating that I can’t progress (as I’ve stated) any further in story. I would like to complete this game and see how it ends. I do like the AC games and have played many, if not most (see my account history).

Imagine buying a new Lexus from a dealer and only being able to drive it 15,000 miles and then it stops. The car is the latest model with the newest features yet you’re told “Our mechanics are still trying to figure out why you can’t drive it. You can’t buy groceries or go out anywhere so please be patient.” What would you do? You’d be livid and demand the car be fixed!

Now put yourself in our shoes. We’ve gone over 100 days with no resolution. We’ve seen content added, patches, etc. You can see why many of us get upset on the forums... I personally do thank you for putting up with all of us on here but please push for a fix to this issue. For our sanity!

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1195 posts

Hello again everyone! 🙂

I'm pleased to say that, after requesting updates again from the developers yesterday, I've now had a response with regard to two issues - being unable to hand the brooch to Hunwald due to already looting it, and the cutscene not playing correctly after discovering the Ealdorman's body in the castle.

Both of these issues are now scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update, and no further videos or save files are required from affected players. I'm not yet able to confirm the date or contents of the patch these fixes will be implemented in, however, I will do so as soon as these details become available. The Community Team will share the patch notes for each update as usual in the News & Announcements section as always as well.

As such, here's the updated overview on the issues we're currently aware of with In The Absence of an Ealdorman:

• Unable to give the brooch to Hunwald, due to looting it prior to starting the quest
      • Comments: A fix has been confirmed and will be deployed in a future game update. Once details of the patch are known, I will share them here in the thread. The Community Team will also share the patch notes in the News & Announcements section when they are available as well.
    • Bodies to investigate in Roaring Meg's Spring / the sewers are missing
      • Status: Under Investigation (additional videos / save games welcomed)
      • Comments: This issue has been reported by limited players, but the developers have opened an investigation after receiving an affected save file. Additional videos of the issue and save files would be helpful for them to look further into this. I've asked for an update to see if there is any other information that they require as well.
    • Cutscene does not start after finding the Ealdorman in the castle
      • Comments: A fix has been confirmed and will be deployed in a future game update. Once details of the patch are known, I will share them here in the thread. The Community Team will also share the patch notes in the News & Announcements section when they are available as well.
    • Quest objective marker is missing after a crash / game restart
    • Unable to complete the investigation of the three clues
      • Status: Under Investigation (additional videos / save games welcomed)
      • Comments: This issue remains under investigation, and there are no progress updates to report at the current time. As soon as we receive an update, we'll advise you all of this here.
    • Unable to speak to the hospice NPC with the information you need in order to proceed
      • Status: Could not be reproduced on TU 1.1.1 (need affected save games to continue investigation)
      • Comments: The developers tried to reproduce this issue previously, but could not do so on the previous TU 1.1.1. If you are affected by this issue, they would like to gather your save file for further investigation to take place into this issue.

@MAGASWAGNAR - Please check out my update above! I hope that this is reassuring for you. Thank you again for your understanding. 🙂

@Platypus_power - Thanks for this report; would you be able to provide a video of it please? In order to open a new investigation I'll need to show the developers the issue, so a video would be perfect if you're able to produce one. Regarding resetting the mission itself, a reset quest feature is not implemented in Valhalla; it is something I have passed forward feedback regarding however. Thanks!

@Hilfyre - I have requested more information about any in-game requirements for accessing the content of the first expansion, however it is likely that information on these (if there are any requirements at all) will become available closer to release. I will keep let you know if I hear anything. 🙂

@SupaFlyy_CF - Could you please clarify which of the issues with this quest you are experiencing? 🙂 Please check if my above update covers your situation, and if so, please let me know.

@rustynailz121 - I completely understand your frustration and am doing my best to communicate as much information from this thread to the developers and vice versa. 🙂 I'm an avid gamer myself and have come across a fair few issues with different games over the years, so definitely would like to see these issues fixed for you all as soon as possible.

If anyone has any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to send them my way!

Official Response
  • rustynailz121
    18 posts

@ubi-woofer thank you, I appreciate all that you’ve done to help us 😊

• SBHeathcote
    13 posts
    @ubi-woofer "Unable to give the brooch to Hunwald, due to looting it prior to starting the quest
    Comments: A fix has been confirmed and will be deployed in a future game update. Once details of the patch are known, I will share them here in the thread. The Community Team will also share the patch notes in the News & Announcements section when they are available as well.

Sir, you got the month wrong. This is March 1st, not April 1st.

srsly though, fingers crossed and appreciate the update

• Killgore1981
    21 posts

@thorgirl-1990 I'm STILL stuck on this as well and have been since November. Nearly 160 hours invested, have completed absolutely everything else the game has to offer, and I'm at a complete impasse with this. I've waited for update after update, finally saw that this was apparently fixed with 1.1.1, and nope. Still just as bugged as it ever was.

• JJRNZ123
    2 posts

Come On guys seriously!!
    I have done 150 hours on this game trying to keep myself busy while you fix this problem. (it has been months now). Instead of you spending time on trying to fix insignificant glitches how can you not focus on something that stops players from progressing past this point and complete the game?
    I have played all the Assassins creed games you have ever released and this is the worst I have ever experienced. It also just looks from the forum comments that you are ignoring the issue. If you can't fix it the just say so and let me get on with another game

• Redleader-be
    3 posts

Thx everybody for keeping the tread alive and for mostly keeping it civil.
    I'm very eager to progress my story and see how things play out 🙂

@Ubi-Woofer : I do have some older saves where I have the brooch and some never ones without ... Guess I'll find out what works once the fix is implemented.

I have to say I didn't encounter much bugs or issues playing so far, but this was one that really stopped my progress. (believe I tried everything to try and find a workaround ..)

• Ubi-Viral
    Ubisoft Support Staff 666 posts

@jjrnz123 Hey! Thank you for reporting this to us, we underst and that when issues take time to be resolved such as is the case with the "In the Absence of an Ealdorman" issue it can be frustrating. Rest assured the development team are aware of this issue and they are currently investigating it. Once additional information becomes available, it will be posted to the game's official forum at:
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com

If you're on PS4 or PC, we would appreciate if you could also forward us your save files. You can find further details on this via the link below:

https://support.ubisoft.com/Article/000080981 

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Official Response
  • antury003
    1 posts

any solution? I have the same problem

• UbiExcellent
    Ubisoft Support Staff 756 posts

Hiya folks! I believe the issue you both are encountering is the same one that's mention on the following megathread - which I'm happy to say should be resolved in a future patch! If this is not the same issue, please provide more details along with supporting footage, so I can investigate further!

Official Response
  • MustangBeauty
    2 posts

Yes, I feel your pain...I’m still waiting (since January). After investing 300+ hours, there is no way I can finish the game.

I have been a huge AC fan since the beginning, but am afraid this will be my last one. It is so disappointing to think that Ubisoft can sell a game that some of us just can’t complete and they really don’t seem to care. At the very least, I think a refund should be issued to those of us who can’t finish.

• UbiExcellent
    Ubisoft Support Staff 756 posts

Hi folks, and my sincerest apologies for the lateness of my reply. There are a few reported issues that take place during this quest, all of which have been outlined in the following megathread. If you both could clarify which one of the issues you're facing, I'll be happy to provide an update on the team's current progress for that issue.

Regarding refunds, these need to be handled by the original retailer if the game wasn't purchased through the Ubisoft Store.

Official Response
  • MustangBeauty
    2 posts

@ubiexcellent

I opened a support ticket with the problems listed and kept getting “we’re working on it” response, then they would close this ticket. But here it is again...there are no bodies, no key, nothing to investigate at Meg springs.

• IJsco113
    2 posts

I haven't a clue what happened, but the quest suddenly got unstuck for me. I've had the issue for months. I know it was definitely still stuck yesterday.
    Since yesterday I killed the last 2 zealous I had left and I finished all deliveries to the hunter.
    Dunno if either of those actions did anything or UBI fixed anything without a patch or communication, but it's fixed for me.

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1878 posts

@ijsco113 Thanks for the update. Can you confirm which of the issues below you were experiencing as there are several different issues for this specific quest:

. Unable to give the brooch to Hunwald, due to looting it prior to starting the quest
    . Bodies to investigate in Roaring Meg's Spring / the sewers are missing
    . Cutscene does not start after finding the Ealdorman in the castle
    . Quest objective marker is missing after a crash / game restart
    . Unable to complete the investigation of the three clue
    . Unable to speak to the hospice NPC with the information you need in order to proceed

@mustangbeauty I can understand your frustration and can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. A support ticket will automatically close after 4 days without a response, this is why your ticket has closed.

Ubi-Woofer posted an update for the known issues with this specific quest in a post above on the 2nd March. We have no further updates at the moment and can only advise you that it is still being investigated.

Please keep checking this thread for updates.

Official Response
  • Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1878 posts
    This post is deleted!
    Official Response
  • lordrain12
    2 posts

I bought AC Valhalla on release on the XSX. I haven't been able to progress the story mode, and thus complete the game since November. I figured it is just some dumb bug or glitch, and that it should be an easy fix, so I am very surprised every time I casually log back in to see if it's fixed, and it's not.

The problem appears to be that while exploring (before I had pledged to Lincolnscire), I was able to loot the brooch quest item, and thus I am stuck on the part where I apparently have to loot it from the castle and return it to the son. Surely this is something you can remedy by simply performing an inventory check after the player has interacted with the woman in the castle, and thus let the player progress?

If this is an issue you do not tend to, or are not able to address, please state so clearly, so I can ask MS for a refund of the game. It is bizarre that I am unable to complete the game due to this.

It's a shame, because other than that I have enjoyed it immensely.

• captainjack03
    12 posts

As previously stated, I've had this issue since November and have been following this thread and every update, trying this bug every few weeks.

I still can not progress, but now, one of the clue items in the room before the swan door keeps re-spawning. When using Odin's Vision it shows up with an eye to indicate a clue, I can pick it up but nothing happens as I believe it's one of the letters I originally picked up (can't remember it's been so long). If I leave the room and come back it re-spawns.

Not sure if that's relevant but worth reporting.

My specific issue is no cutscene played when going to the castle (thus leaving the elderman lying on the floor dead. I was able to carry him outside the room but he despawned and hasn't come back), and the quest disappeared from the HUD. I do have the broach in my inventory, but only after the first two issues mentioned occurred.

• lerodr07
    1 posts

@ubi-keo I have been having the same issue with Absence of an Ealdorman. I retuned from Vinland and began the Quest Line. I reached the castle East of Lincoln to speak with the Earl. I did not see a cut scene when I reached his quarters. I investigated the room with the dead body and the woman. Found the two notes. Picked up the Brooch. And then nothing. I cannot talk to the woman, I cannot talk to Hunwald, I cannot give him the Brooch when I return to the monastery in Lincolshire.

It is very frustrating. I like the game and I love Assassins Creed franchise, but it makes you not want to play anymore. I will be very hesitant buying new releases if this will be Ubisoft's MO in the future as well.

• LosPoyos
    7 posts

Can someone at Ubisoft in your seems-to-be 2 men devteam take an afternoon to make us skip that "quest", please. Atm, we don't care the story, if you can't deliver it, we'll check for it on youtube.

Thank you.

I don't know at that point if it's shamier to not deliver the story or to tell that your devteam can't solve those bugs since I-don't-even-know-many-monthes-ago.

I will never finish that game I think.

Suggested Topics