Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• MissVendettaXO
    4 posts

This patch actually fixed the issue for me! It reset the quest to the part where I have to find the Ealdorman which is perfectly fine with me!

I recommend people verify their files as that is what I had to do after the update for it to work.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 4112 posts

Hello there!

Thank you for continuing to update this thread with your experiences with "In the Absence of an Ealdorman." I am sorry to hear that some of you are still missing the quest marker following TU 1.2.1. The investigation into this issue was reopened by the development team, which I would like to provide you all with an update from.

I would like to share that the development team intends to fix the following issue in a future update:

• Missing quest objectives/markers
    • Unable to complete the investigation of the three clues
    • Unable to investigate the bodies in Roaring Meg's Spring / the sewers due to them being missing

Once we have more information about when this update is due to be released, we will be sure to let you all know within this thread and in the News & Announcements forum.

I would also like to provide an update on the status of the other ongoing investigations still taking place:

• Unable to speak to the hospice NPC with the information you need in order to proceed

@YpsiBrave1965 - I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the quest marker appearing. The development team reopened the investigation into this issue following player reports after TU 1.2.1, and they intend to fix this issue in a future update. We no longer need any additional videos or save files affected by this issue at this time.

Additional videos and affected save files were requested as the videos/files provided previously were from before TU 1.2.1. As the issue still persisted, we required videos/save files from this title update for the development team to take a closer look at.

@LosPoyos - I'm sorry to hear that the issue still persists for you following TU 1.2.1. As shared above, the development team plan to fix the missing quest marker in TU 1.2.2. I apologise for any disappointment that has been caused. As mentioned by @Ubi-Woofer, there are no plans to implement a "Reset Quest" feature due to the structure of quests within the game. We will pass on the feedback you have shared to the dedicated team.

@Harroguk - This issue was not included in the fixes in TU 1.2.1, which is why it was not resolved. We apologise for any disappointment caused. I have passed your report on to the development team as part of the ongoing investigation. Once we have any updates to share regarding being unable to interact with the hospice NPCs, we will be sure to share this within the forums.

@MissVendettaXO - I'm glad to hear that the issue has been resolved for you! Thanks for updating us 😄

Thanks all 😊

Official Response
  • DonFurinkazan
    10 posts

@ubi-borealis

I would like to share that the development team intends to fix the following issue in a future update:
    Missing quest objectives/markers
    Unable to complete the investigation of the three clues
    Unable to investigate the bodies in Roaring Meg's Spring / the sewers due to them being missing

Does this mean the fix is done and waiting for a future update ? Because that would be great news !

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @DonFurinkazan!

I would be unable to speculate on whether these fixes have been completed and are ready to deploy at this moment. I can only confirm that the development team intend to resolve these issues in a future update. Once we have more information on this update, and when it is due to be released, we will share this news within this thread.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • jme288b
    3 posts

@ubi-borealis The bugs are still there for me, I cannot progress any further. I have around 100hrs of game play on the PS5. When I got to the hospice I have spoken to all the available NPCS and have been told where to go next but its stuck and says i need to speak to them still, even though there is no way I can.

In the Absence of an Ealdorman PS5

I am supposed to search the Hospice and find out if the Ealdorman is there/where he went, I snuck in, talked with all relevant NPCs (the three in the courtyard and the final relevant NPC inside the hospice that says to investigate the bathhouse), however, the quest never updates to go to the bathhouse, it keeps saying I need to speak to NPCs in the hospice. When I use L3 to highlight relevant quest objectives all of the same NPCs are highlighted but I cannot talk to any of them and cannot progress. I'm 100hrs in and restarting the game is not an option.

• jme288b
    3 posts

@jzeppa12 Im in the same boat as you.

• jme288b
    3 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @jme288b! Welcome to the forums 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to interact with all of the hospice NPCs. Would you be able to send us a video that shows you're unable to interact with any further NPCs in the Hospice, but that the quest still doesn't proceed?

Additionally, please can you ensure you have an up-to-date save uploaded to the cloud. You can check this by looking for the cloud icon on the save you'd like uploaded to the cloud.

We can then pass your report along to the development team so they can take a closer look.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • Padu5454
    2 posts

After all the patches I'm still having the same issue on xbox1. I looted the brooch prior to starting the mission as I was raiding the castle for treasure. When I did the mission, I followed all the cookies had no issue with the investigation to the point of going into the dungeon and seeing the ealdorman dead in the throne with the woman there. My progress then comes to a screeching halt. Not for nothing, but maybe a simpler fix might be a trigger that if item x(the brooch) is in your inventory and you have read the clues scattered in the castle, the next segment of the mission triggers? That would make it so if people who raid early still have to go back to see the clues, but don't end up hanging their head against the wall for 6 months. I mean, I'm a dragon pass holder and I would love to continue enjoying this game, but it's difficult knowing what I'm missing out on( can't complete the story mode, can't complete the order since the crozier is tied to this mission thread, can't obtain all of thors armor or mjolnir...)please. Look deeper into a solution that addresses all, like a simplistic if/then...
    Thanks for continuing to work on this

• Padu5454
    2 posts
    After all the patches I'm still having the same issue on xbox1. I looted the brooch prior to starting the mission as I was raiding the castle for treasure. When I did the mission, I followed all the clues had no issue with the investigation to the point of going into the dungeon and seeing the ealdorman dead in the throne with the woman there. My progress then comes to a screeching halt. Not for nothing, but maybe a simpler fix might be a trigger that if item x(the brooch) is in your inventory and you have read the clues scattered in the castle, the next segment of the mission triggers? That would make it so if people who raid early still have to go back to see the clues, but don't end up banging their head against the wall for 6 months. I mean, I'm a season pass holder and I would love to continue enjoying this game, but it's difficult knowing what I'm missing out on( can't complete the story mode, can't complete the order since the crozier is tied to this mission thread, can't obtain all of thors armor or mjolnir...) Please, look deeper into a solution that addresses all, like a simplistic if/then...
    Thanks for continuing to work on this....

*Corrections...

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @Padu5454! Welcome to the forums 🙂

Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions with us. I'm sorry to hear you're still encountering trouble with missing quest objectives. I can confirm that the development team intend to resolve this issue in a future update. We don't yet have an ETA for this update. Once we have more information to share, it will be posted within this thread and in the News & Announcements forum, so please keep an eye out in these places for more updates. We hope you'll be able to continue with your adventures in Viking England soon.

Thanks 😊

Official Response
  • captainjack03
    12 posts

Just checking in to see if there have been any updates. I see there has been no activity on this thread for 2 weeks and we are still unable to complete the game.

Thank you!

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @captainjack03!

Thanks for reaching out. The development team have not yet released any new updates following TU 1.2.1. We have not had a confirmed date for when the fixes for "In the Absence of an Ealdorman" will be released yet. As soon as we know more, this information will be shared within the forums.

I would like to confirm which issues the development team have informed us will be fixed in a future update:

• Unable to investigate the bodies in Roaring Meg's Spring / the sewers due to them being missing
    • Unable to speak to the hospice NPC with the information you need in order to proceed

This means that all ongoing investigations into "In the Absence of Ealdorman" are due to be resolved in a future update!

If you have encountered an issue with this quest that is not listed above, please don't hesitate to reach out so we can investigate this further.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • captainjack03
    12 posts

@ubi-borealis Thank you very much for the response, much appreciated!

• captainjack03
    12 posts

Update: Before I started playing Wrath of the Druids DLC, I checked this quest again and it was still bugged. So I went and did the DLC, and once I finished all the Ireland quests and went back to England, the Absence of an Elderman quest appeared on the map for me, I was able to get the cutscene and I was able to advance! I just successfully completed the quest and am able to move forward with the main story! Not sure if anyone else had the same experience, but wanted to report what happened. I am not sure when/what exactly triggered the quest to continue, but at least I can finish the game now.

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello again @captainjack03!

Thank you for reaching out to provide us with an update. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to continue with "In the Absence of an Ealdorman!" Thanks for sharing how this quest was triggered for you, as this could help others encountering the same issue.

I'd like to reassure players who have been affected by issues in "In the Absence of an Ealdorman" that they development team are intending to release a series of fixes in a future update. We don't yet have a confirmed release date for this update. As soon as we have more information to share, it will be posted within this thread and in the News & Announcements forum.

Thank you 😊

Official Response
  • DasSHO
    3 posts

So here I am, decided to download the game again to see if after almost 8 MONTHS since the initial report of the bug that it would be fixed. Nope still unable to progress past the clue portion of the quest. To put those 8 months in to perspective, the game itself was in development for 2.5 years, so they should be about a third of the way done with the next AC title before they even fully fix this bug. If this was any other product than a video game there would be some recourse from the developer to fix this issue. Blows my mind a company that made 2.8 billion dollars last year can't fix a bug. Do they even have teams to fix the bugs or is everyone just working on the next cash grab?

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there!

I'd like to reach out to you all with an update. I'm happy to announce that the development team intend to deploy several fixes for "In the Absence of an Ealdorman" in TU 1.2.2. This update will be deployed 15 June, 2021 at 2 PM CEST / 8 AM ET. This list of fixes includes the following issues:

• Cutscene does not play after infiltrating the castle
    • Unable to speak to the hospice NPC

If you are still encountering issues with "In the Absence of an Ealdorman" following TU 1.2.2, please don't hesitate to update this thread so we can take a closer look. Please include a video that shows the following:

• You have the latest Title Update installed on your platform. You can view this information in the opening game menu in the bottom right-hand corner.
    • The issue that you are still experiencing in-game following this update.

Additionally, please ensure that you have an up-to-date save uploaded to the cloud. We can then pass these reports to the development team for further investigation.

Thank you! 😊

Official Response
  • Harroguk
    11 posts

@ubi-borealis Holy butt monkeys batman.

217 days after launch and the missing quest marker has returned. I am able to move on from the hospice to the boat house.

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @Harroguk!

Thanks for confirming that the quest marker has returned for you. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to progress in "In the Absence of an Ealdorman!" 😄 If you encounter any further trouble, please don't hesitate to reach out and we'll gladly take a closer look 🙂

Official Response

Suggested Topics