Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• RPGFiend2139
    Original poster 29 posts

So I was immediately bored and unimpressed by AC: Unity and that's when I lost touch with the series, but of course I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to play as a viking so now I'm back. I also am not really a fan of Spartans so Odyssey didn't initially appeal to me either, but now I wonder if I should give it a try.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@rpgfiend2139 Well worth it. Should be able to get all of it on sale too. If you like the story within the story then you definitely should play Odyssey.

• FylkirPanzer
    180 posts

@rpgfiend2139 I'm a huge fan of Odyssey myself, mostly because of the sheer amount of stuff to do. It can be a bit daunting, seeing all of that stuff to clear on the map, but it just gave me something to do while I waited for new content, etc. There are also repeatable random quests, although they're mostly fetch this, kill that, etc. but again, it gave me something to do. Conquest Battles are also repeatable, as the world is fully alive with both major factions (Spartans and Athenian) trying to win control of Greece, so you have ample opportunity to participate. The naval stuff is top notch, and the naval battles themselves are great. As much as people hated the RNG loot grind for armor and weapons. They actually dropped from chests, enemies, and were rewarded for completing missions, conquest battles, naval battles, etc. Not to mention there is a huge amount to choose from and go through to make your Mercenary "you". There is also a large variety when it comes to playstyles, to ensure your build is what you want to play for, i.e. amassing critical damage on your gear, or poison damage, fire damage, health, or armor, etc. It may take a little while to get used to, but I believe it's well worth it, and it should keep you entertained for a long while. I put over 1360 hours on the game myself because I enjoyed it so much.

As much I was super hyped for Valhalla's release, I played it and beat it, clearing the map, etc in less time than it took for me to complete everything in Odyssey (130+ hours in Valhalla completion. 250+ hours in Odyssey completion). There is absolutely no replayability in it, and there's a depressing lack of armor choice and variety with only ten gear sets; using only two for the base perks by mixing and matching armor. Weapon selection is decent, but it would have been better if they were all at even numbers, i.e. there are only four spears in game, compared to three hammers, or like, seven two handed axes, but zero one handed swords. I like a great many things about Valhalla, but there is too much dragging it down in my opinion. To go from super invested and hyped in Odyssey, to, in my opinion, all of these unnecessary changes in Valhalla, I've been sadly disappointed.

• longjohn119
    609 posts

@rpgfiend2139 I bought the Ultimate Edition for my nephew for 30 bucks and put it on my old rig that I gave to him and he's loving it ..... I not a fan of Unity either and get a lot of flack for saying it's my least favorite in the series but Odyssey is still my favorite in the series and if you get it for PC there are some great visual mods that go well with the 'transmog" armor system where you can choose you armor and weapons based on it's stats but make it look like a completely different set

Look through some of the videos on my YouTube channels and you'll see a lot of different mods I used mainly to make the game replayable several times
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOysgvZQXRKc3_4POuBrmA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOysgvZQXRKc3_4POuBrmA/playlists

• RPGFiend2139
    Original poster 29 posts

@longjohn119 thanks, I think I'll check it out!

• mitsunari3
    73 posts

@rpgfiend2139
    to me, Odyssey the most enjoyable AC game.
    Ubisoft Quebec make better games than Ubisoft Montreal.

• longjohn119
    609 posts

@mitsunari3
    To be honest if Ubisoft let me trade Valhalla for Fenyx Rising I'd do it in a heartbeat .... At least it's playable and looks like more fun than work ....

• TheCosmicBob
    73 posts

@longjohn119 I would do that trade also. I am probably going to get IFR eventually. When it's even cheaper than the 20% off at Gamestop now.

• distrust74
    9 posts

@longjohn119
    Fenyx is incredible.
    The combat is even better than on Odyssey imo, especially after unlocking a few skills. The world is a joy to explore and looks great. Fenyx quickly grows on you.
    But you should like puzzles, it`s a huge part of the game.

I am on Uplay+, so to get a little change I grabbed Valhalla last night. Let me put it like this: Going back to Fenyx felt like heaven opened up again.
    Already uninstalled Valhalla, no point in forcing myself through it.

• Gravelmead
    62 posts

@longjohn119 Fenyx is UBI game of the year in my view. It's hands down more entertaining now than Valhalla ever will be. They have played Fenyx down, hardly any hype because they know it will sell it's self.

• speedynl21
    79 posts

if ody is on sale get it, if posible the dlc's to
    it runs/looks better then valh, it have game +, choice your builds, melee/hunter/sneak, tweak your gear to match your build

all in all it give you more options/play time the valh

get valh in a haf year or even more IF they manage to fix all bugs, but only then if on sale

• ADarklore
    121 posts

@distrust74 And I absolutely HATE puzzles... I just want to play a game, not spend hours studying and trying to figure things out... that is NOT fun to me. That is one of the big issues I have with Valhalla, too damn many things you have to 'figure out' instead of almost everything being straightforward like Origins and Odyssey. Needless to say, I have my phone with Google and Youtube right next to me while I play Valhalla- it has saved me SO much time with these stupid puzzles they've added.

• longjohn119
    609 posts
    @longjohn119
    Fenyx is incredible.
    The combat is even better than on Odyssey imo, especially after unlocking a few skills. The world is a joy to explore and looks great. Fenyx quickly grows on you.
    But you should like puzzles, it`s a huge part of the game.

I am on Uplay+, so to get a little change I grabbed Valhalla last night. Let me put it like this: Going back to Fenyx felt like heaven opened up again.
    Already uninstalled Valhalla, no point in forcing myself through it.

I'm not a real big puzzle person especially when they are lame AF like the ones in Valhalla but I played the Stadia demo of Fenyx which included a couple of puzzles and they were OK and unlike Valhalla made sense and had some actual clues ...... It's not my favorite game activity but it's not a deal breaker if they are interesting and fun .....

• distrust74
    9 posts

@longjohn119
    I am kinda indifferent about puzzles myself, it really depends on the quality and how well they are implemented into a game.
    Tbh. I uninstalled Valhalla before even seeing a puzzle, the ones I saw on videos looked pretty annoying indeed.

On Fenyx I enjoy the vast majority of puzzles. Like you said, they have proper clues. It`s not about running around like crazy till you accidentally stumble over a key or something. In most cases the task at hand (and all you need for it) is clear, it`s just on you to figure out how to do it.
    Of course there is the odd puzzle that isn`t fun, but for me that was rare on Fenyx.

What I like is how they give meaning to the locations.
    You get to a new place, there is a mystery to it, you feel good when you solve it and get your deserved reward.
    But of course this makes for a different pace compared to AC games.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics