Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

I think that for a game that costs from 60 to almost 200 euros, depends on the edition, and for me it was the ultimate edition, the customer should be able to chose which gender is canon.

What is outrageous, is that Ubisoft has promoted the game where both genders are canons, yet there is a prequel with a female Eivor, and animus chooses for you a female Eivor.
    Thank you for mocking, Ubisoft.

Also while playing as Male, the game often treats you as a female by using feminine pronouns.

The problem here is that you lied and tricked customers, Ubisoft.

And also this is a [censored] viking game.
    A viking, historically and 99.9% of the time, is a male. A brute male.

Please stop indulging feminists and pro-women movements, while creating games, bcs this way you are making politics, instead of entertainment.

I am not here to play a leftist game, I am here to play a game free of politics, free of any kind of activism, free of any kind of movements, where only the player's choices are valid and canon.

Ubisoft should come out and publicly and directly confirm that both genders are canon.

I want to experience this story as a male Eivor, without having the game recognize Eivor as a female here and there.
    You will have to fix this.
    Don't you dare to force your customers to play the game as you see fit!
    You lied to the customers, that they are free to chose the gender, yet you made animus chose a female Eivor for the 90% of the game.
    I say, [censored] that.

Why not make the game watch and observe how you play and the gameplay style and make the animus change the gender several times mid-game?
    This will be sick!
    And this way the game will be really gender-neutral and both genders will be canon.

And don't even try me on gender hate.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Quor321
    232 posts

You just brought the politics into it, Ubi is just designing a game in the artistic form they wish, play don't play up to you.

• Mitko1197
    10 posts

@Quor321 totally incorrect.
    In the opening they state that the game was created by different people from different cultures, gender, orientations and etc.
    Why would anyone give a damn?
    I don't care about it, why I should see such promotions?
    They are getting political from the start.

The problem here is that they are lying and trying to trick people into buying the game by stating that the game is canon for both genders.

If they said from the beginning that Female is canon, I wouldn't have bought, as many other players wouldn't.

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@mitko1197 true

@quor321 They start promoting their world view right in the opening. I don't like to read this [censored] in the games, there are enough politics in the world as it is...

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Quor321
    232 posts

@mitko1197 That's just over thinking it. Not uncommon in our over sensitive society to see these simple statements made before starting something. Not a show of political stance. Just there to hush the judgemental, sadly it don't work well enough.

No one in the public eye can do anything, even in art!!!!!!, without covering all the basis.

• Max18400
    405 posts

I mean... Don't bring politics into it. It has no place when talking about a video game. It is jarring and kinda insulting from a gameplay perspective that your choice doesn't matter, of if you choose to be a male it's the wrong choice. And yes, female warriors in the viking age, if they ever existed were rare, but either way, it's a video game. Certain historical liberties can be forgiven. Besides, Ubisoft have already apologised for the mistake and have said they're going to look into fixing it. Also, Eivor in the prologue isnt gendered... They're a young child with cropped hair (fashion choice for young boys in the viking age...) and non specific clothes.
    But seriously... Don't bring politics into stuff about a game.
    It is annoying and kinda insulting, but it's more down to conflict between the dev team who waited a female character, and the producers who wanted a male.
    It will hopefully be fixed soon

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@max18400
    You do realize, that if a game is not well suited for USA and Europe current ideas and trends of politically-correct media, then it wont sell, right?
    I have nothing against women as main characters, in fact one of my favorite adventure games and movies is Lara Croft.
    The problem is that they lied or tricked.

We can all agree that in the recent years women are given more and more lead roles in the industries, especially in the filmmaking and gaming industries which is shameful that is happening so late, after they fought for their rights in 1920's.

But that is fine and good.

What is not good, is promising a gender-neutral character and freedom of choice and later delivery a game with no choice and a female as cannon. I mean, cmon...

Just imagine if it was vice-versa, if they delivered an animus defined male character. They would have been torn apart by all media for not including enough women and blah-blah.

• MitchThundercok
    27 posts
  • Max18400
    405 posts

@fimbulthulur mate... I'm agreeing with you. I've posted a couple of things myself about it. Giving players the choice to be male or female is great, just be accommodating either way?
    And you are right.
    If it was the other way, there'd be no end to the complaints. And ultimately, it's not okay... I was talking to one of my mates about it and ubisoft could be labeled as offensive for not making the gender choice as inclusive either way. Everytime it comes up in dialogue, I literally wince. There's also the matter, they have such a talented voice actor with Magnus Brun that is essentially being sidelined.
    All I was saying is be careful when being political about it. It can lead to people either reporting comments are not understanding them

• III_Hammer_III
    21 posts

@Fimbulthulur
    Technically, you are forced to play any game as the devs see it fit. They have to code it in. 

But anyway, as for the animus choosing your gender, why don't you just set it to male? Instead of coming here with the incel, I-don't-want-politics-but-I-am-going-to-make-it-about-politics rant? And what prequel are you talking about?

I have been playing for about 60 hrs and I am yet to hear anyone refer to my male character as "she".

• Max18400
    405 posts

@iii_hammer_iii I am playing as a male. In the east anglian storyline, you're referred to as she. In a world event, you're mistaken for a man's beautiful daughter. In the end game, you're called Varinsdottir (viking surnames were a combination of your father's name and your gender, thus if your gender choice was to play as a man, it'd be Varinsson) ...there are a few other examples I can't think of off the top of my head l.
    If you've not run into that issue, lucky you.
    It's incrediblely immersion breaking when playing the game.

• UnhappyLawbro
    11 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Tantalus_JB
    6 posts
    And also this is a f***ing viking game.
    A viking, historically and 99.9% of the time, is a male. A brute male.

Since "f***ing" when?!

• Max18400
    405 posts

@tantalus_jb unfortunately, he is right. Besides the odd exception, most viking warriors/leaders were men, they were often favoured. The vikings were certainly more progressive than most cultures at their time, but they weren't quite equal. That's not to say women rulers and warriors didn't exist, they just were a rarity unfortunately.

• Tantalus_JB
    6 posts

@max18400 No where near as close as 99.9% though. Shieldmaidens were celebrated, revered even. I'm more surprised there are no berserker options (skills, potions, whatnot). I'd be more inclined to tie my scrotum in a knot about that than the fact that there were female Vikings!

• Max18400
    405 posts

@tantalus_jb tbh no one is really sure how many shieldmaidens existed, or what portion of a viking army they'd made up. Some scholars argue that they never existed at all. In the written record, there are 2 (non mythical and that I can remember off the top of my head) that are mentioned by name, lagertha and Brynhilda. And out of those 2, only lagertha's achievements are actually described. Personally, I do think they existed, but just not in large numbers.
    Personally, I have no issue with there being loads in the game and in media portrayals. I think it is awesome.
    I take issue, when if you choose to be male Eivor, the game treats your decision as if its wrong, non Canon and just incorrect. It's a bit insulting when the game advertised that both gender options were Canon when they're clearly not and your in game experience is affected by your bearded vikingr being refered to as a beautiful daughter... That's the main issue that's being raised by this thread.
    If the game advertised itself as Eivor being female only, it wouldn't be an issue

• detroitin2019
    99 posts

@max18400
    Do you personally believe that treating the male as female, as you mentioned is big issue, is intentional or just missed in QA or sloppy coding? I think it’s just oversight or missed and will be corrected eventually. This game, in addition to others like Cyberpunk, has several items to be made better/fixed so I don’t let that type of issue get to me, even if it is obvious or immersion breaking (which it isn’t to me as it’s very minor and short compared to all the correct times).

• Max18400
    405 posts

@detroitin2019 honestly? I don't know. Based on ubisoft's response official response, it's a bug that they said they'll try to address. Yet reading around the issue, it seems almost intentional. There seems to have been a huge rift in ubisoft's development team about whether to have a male or female character. As mentioned, there are several quest lines that make reference to Eivor being a female character, yet many aspects of the game are masculine features: the hair cuts for example. Most of them look (in my opinion anyway, feel free to disagree) look overtly masculine. Like I did try to change the gender of eivor on my play through briefly to see what the customisation options were, and they just look odd on female Eivor whereas on male eivor, they look like they fit.
    It's anyone's guess about why it's present. I'd be equally as annoyed if it was the other way around. It just subtracts from the importance of player choice.

• detroitin2019
    99 posts

@max18400
    I completely agree on the hairstyles. I keep hoping I’ll unlock some better ones for her. Personally it’s her voice I can’t stand most. I alternate between both characters trying to find the one I am annoyed at least (male has some weird expressions/stances I don’t like). Maybe because I switch between the two the incorrect gender references don’t bother me since I can’t remain committed. I play a female %100 of the time in games when I can so disappointing this game has turned me from that.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics