Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@ingel_riday This is a VIDEO GAME . . Ubi has been moving towards male & female choice since Syndicate & Origins.

Players were whining and criticizing even back then that they weren't making a Female assassin - but apparently the majority choose male characters (like myself) - I also play as Male Eivor in this one - I played Alexios in Odyssey. So they've offered a choice.

They've been changing AC to accommodate player choice and gain new player interest to the series. The whole 'canon' thing to me is already lost and as an older player since AC II & Brotherhood, I'm fine with it. It makes the early games even more Nostalgic and good to replay.

The changes are made and you either enjoy the game for what it is or you get lost in your rigid demands for the old AC constructs - - and speaking of that, Valhalla has more Assassins Creed vibe than Odyssey did so I give them credit for listening to players

• Max18400
    405 posts

@prodigurl spot on. However they have messed up by labelling whichever Eivor players choose to play as with the wrong pronouns

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@max18400 Oh my bad - I don't speak pronoun so .......... 😄

• Max18400
    405 posts

@prodigurl literally means if you're playing as male Eivor, npcs/dialogue will call you she or her

• Ingel_Riday
    10 posts

@prodigurl I like how you not only ignored my points, but then accused me of being "lost in [my] rigid demands for the old AC constructs"... which would be what, exactly? A lack of cynical marketing techniques? A semblance of historical accuracy and competent storytelling? Not telling 2/3rds of your player-base that their playthrough was a meaningless "what-if" scenario because they didn't pick the right character option? Heck, I didn't even decry having a choice; I just noted that other games do it better without dismissing a vast majority of their player-base (I even gave two examples).

Whatever, man. I have no idea how you reached your interpretation of my post. *shrug*

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

Thing is - Ubi messed up here a lot.

Promised us a cake, but delivered only the shiny box of it with half the cake.

• Superfly_Boss
    80 posts

I think you have missed the point of the Assassin's Creed franchise.

• Beylous
    42 posts

And here we go with the snowflake generation complaints. Really? Can't this rant just be broadcast on tic-toc or on a street corner with a megaphone?

• NeOVoltron
    117 posts

I have nothing against female leads in video games; I grew up playing Tomb Raider games, Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my favourite games ever, I loved playing as Evie in Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I wish we got to play as Aya more often in Assassin's Creed Origins. Give me an Assassin's Creed game with Aya as lead next and I'd be all for it but don't BS people around with these "choose male or female" games - they're not very well executed and they don't make sense especially in Assassin's Creed games where "canon endings" are a thing and no matter what you choose, none of your choices matter anyway because there can only be one "true" ending.

• eskimosound
    6 posts

@fimbulthulur I see you haven't played Odyssey then....

• Max18400
    405 posts

@eskimosound just thought I'd leave an update. The issue with being referred to by the wrong pronouns has now 100% been confirmed as a bug and is now under investigation by the Dev team to fix the issue.

• Max18400
    405 posts

@eskimosound Odyssey pulled this off far better. Although kassandra was the Canon option, gameplay or dialogue wasn't affected by this at all.
    In my first play through, I was Alexios and didn't bat an eye or even consider that he wasn't canon. I only knew after ubisoft released the book and then confirmed he wasn't canon.
    I think we all should be at the stage now with Assassin's creed being more of an RPG that players shouldn't care about the Canon ending. We should just play as we want to. Especially with Vahalla. There's only one event at the end of the game that you have any real control over and that's your relationship with Sigurd. Everything else doesn't really affect anything. Your gender choice doesn't affect the story, your romance options don't affect anything, your alliance options don't affect anything (you still always end up with one, one way or another). Even your gameplay choices don't matter. If you want to rush in, or sneak round it has no impact.

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@eskimosound
    Nah, this is my first AC game that I am playing properly

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@neovoltron The Syndicate approach was a nice touch: both Jacob and Evie had their own moments (missions), and in between you could choose to play as either of them (mostly Evie for me too). I'm not saying that every AC-game should be based on that template, but it worked very well for me.

I had no reservations whatsoever to play Kassandra in Odyssey (I actually preferred her over Alexios) or female Eivor in Valhalla, but I agree that the pseudo-historical setting of AC-games complicates matters. Things are easier in a game like Far Cry 5, to name another Ubisoft-title. In the end, however, the frequent crashes and bugs (or bad storytelling, for that matter) do more to ruin the immersion for me than the question whether or not female Greek mercenaries or female Viking warriors actually existed. It is a game, after all.

• Max18400
    405 posts

@hroozenbeek you need the game to be immersive through a lot of mediums in a video game. They are always okay to use creative thinking and exaggeration forhany historical game, film, show whatever.
    Just for a video game that gives you choice, make it immersive

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 Absolutely. Immersion can be reached in different ways. Historically, Alexios obviously made a more appropriate Greek mercenary than Kassandra, but in some way, for me, the more lighthearted Kassandra felt more at home in Odyssey than stern Alexios did (and I completed the game with both of them). I did my first playthrough of Valhalla with female Eivor and I am looking forward to the next round with male Eivor, but I think I will wait until most of the bugs (including the pronoun stuff) have been dealt with.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

closer to the end i am being referred to more and more often to as a she while playing male eivor, this is so annoying

• Max18400
    405 posts

@asgardian02 at least we know it is definitely a bug though. On my most recent playthough as a male I noticed a few times I was given the right pronouns (Jorvik for example). But it does still happen in places like Winchester

• Max18400
    405 posts

@hroozenbeek that's why I played as Alexios for most of my runs of odyysey, because I know the history so well and how Greek society viewed women, but then kassandra in her tone etc. Fitted with the game's tone in exactly the way you said.
    Yeah I'd wait it out too

• NeOVoltron
    117 posts

@hroozenbeek Pronouns won't be "dealt with" because despite what Ubisoft said, male Eivor isn't canon. "Let the ANIMUS choose" option (which is also the "intended/canon" option) makes your character female Eivor the entire game except during the mythical arcs...

spoiler

Also, within the historical context of Assassin's Creed Valhalla's universe and lore, the male counterpart never canonically existed as "Eivor." As we are all already aware, even when you play as male Eivor you're stuck with female pronouns and your full name, regardless of your chosen gender, is Eivor Varinsdottir which means Eivor - Daughter of Varin. This is also the reason why Eivor is female in the comic book.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics