Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 Absolutely. Immersion can be reached in different ways. Historically, Alexios obviously made a more appropriate Greek mercenary than Kassandra, but in some way, for me, the more lighthearted Kassandra felt more at home in Odyssey than stern Alexios did (and I completed the game with both of them). I did my first playthrough of Valhalla with female Eivor and I am looking forward to the next round with male Eivor, but I think I will wait until most of the bugs (including the pronoun stuff) have been dealt with.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

closer to the end i am being referred to more and more often to as a she while playing male eivor, this is so annoying

• Max18400
    400 posts

@asgardian02 at least we know it is definitely a bug though. On my most recent playthough as a male I noticed a few times I was given the right pronouns (Jorvik for example). But it does still happen in places like Winchester

• Max18400
    400 posts

@hroozenbeek that's why I played as Alexios for most of my runs of odyysey, because I know the history so well and how Greek society viewed women, but then kassandra in her tone etc. Fitted with the game's tone in exactly the way you said.
    Yeah I'd wait it out too

• NeOVoltron
    96 posts

@hroozenbeek Pronouns won't be "dealt with" because despite what Ubisoft said, male Eivor isn't canon. "Let the ANIMUS choose" option (which is also the "intended/canon" option) makes your character female Eivor the entire game except during the mythical arcs...

spoiler

Also, within the historical context of Assassin's Creed Valhalla's universe and lore, the male counterpart never canonically existed as "Eivor." As we are all already aware, even when you play as male Eivor you're stuck with female pronouns and your full name, regardless of your chosen gender, is Eivor Varinsdottir which means Eivor - Daughter of Varin. This is also the reason why Eivor is female in the comic book.

• NeOVoltron
    96 posts

Eivor is also a female name even though they could have chosen a gender-neutral name of which there are many, you can literally Google them.

• Max18400
    400 posts

@neovoltron Canon doesnt mean anything in gameplay terms.
    Whilst you are right about Eivor being female is Canonb; ubisoft have confirmed in various forum posts MULTIPLE times it is a bug and is under investigation.
    Not to mention several times in gameplay in different saves, I've seen dialogue pronouns change for the same pieces of dialogue when I consistently play as a man. It is a bug, and therefore will likely be fixed at some point.

• Max18400
    400 posts

@neovoltron they could have, but didn't. They could also have used gender neural pronouns throughout the game, but didn't.
    The issue is, they if they are to give players an option to choose a gender (Canon or not) they need to make sure each choice is immersive and respected in gameplay which they have tried to do, but due to the bug, have not done so.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@neovoltron With all due respect, you're confusing Ubisoft's decision to make female Eivor the 'historical Eivor' in AC lore with the bug (as confirmed by Ubisoft, which has been stated earlier in this thread) that pronouns are frequently mixed up when you play as male Eivor (and sometimes also the other way around, as has been reported). I know perfectly well what 'Varinsdotter' means, but that reference could also be fixed. Canon notwithstanding, the game allows you to play as male Eivor, which means that Ubisoft should fix the pronoun bugs.

• NeOVoltron
    96 posts
    @neovoltron they could have, but didn't. They could also have used gender neural pronouns throughout the game, but didn't.
    The issue is, they if they are to give players an option to choose a gender (Canon or not) they need to make sure each choice is immersive and respected in gameplay which they have tried to do, but due to the bug, have not done so.

You're right. I was totally convinced that it was by design that the pronouns are wrong.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

I think the developers chose 'Eivor Varinsdottir' as the name for both the male and the female version of the protagonist to make things easier for them (compared to maintaining references to Kassandra and Alexios in Odyssey) under the assumption that the majority of players would not realize that both parts of the name are gender-specific. As it turned out, that assumption was rather naive. Maybe they will learn from this and choose more carefully next time. (And yes, I realize that I may be naive in this myself. 😉 I'm an optimist.)

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@hroozenbeek

There is definitely a big management issue in Ubi.

Execs promising one thing, devs doing the other thing.

Doesn't speak well about the company.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

i dont think much will be learned.

Most reviews online are super positive and the game sold well, thats all that matters to the shareholders anyway.
    Its only after the good reviews were done that they introduced xp boost and other boosts to the game to be bought for money.

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@neovoltron I really doubt that the pronoun are bugs when you are refereed as she/her,you never change Eivor gender so to speak,you change what the animus is simulating,Eivor and Odin are the same person thus the both gender are canon,they could not have explained this at the release of the game that would have been stupid,they did explain why they chose a female it was to give a player a choice.

After all the backlash they got from Odyssey and now this game,they should stick with one gender protagonist or do like syndicate.

• Max18400
    400 posts

@outlander1982 you've got a good point. They do need to have one confirmed protagonist. But in this case it is a bug and has been confirmed by the developers on this forum and is under investigation.

• DuskDragon56496
    367 posts

Not to change the subject or anything but in regards to an earlier comment in this post some people stated that Ubisoft doesn't bring politics into it's game, maybe you missed that moniker at the start of the game which states that the game was made up by people of different beliefs,gender identities and so forth.If that's not a political agenda Then I'm a leprechaun.How many other gaming companies start off by basically saying...we accept and love everyone, we're all the best of friends, why we love you too let's all hold hands and sing kumbiya, oh yeah and press start to play, and that's not a political statement....lol the only equivalent to that I can think of is a politician who goes around kissing babies for votes

• Max18400
    400 posts

@duskdragon56496 maybe I'm an unpopular opinion here, but is that really a bad message to have? And if so why?
    I don't think any decision in the game is a political statement.
    I personally think Odyssey was far more political than Vahalla.
    I think Vahalla was rushed out and many aspects, both design and technical, were overlooked

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@duskdragon56496 A similar statement has been present in all AC games since the first. I have always liked that, because to me it states that the developers have no single political, religious or other agenda but respect all different views and creeds. Respecting other opinions than your own is, or should be in my view, a-political.

• Kormac67
    579 posts

@outlander1982 Why remove the player's choice? Some want to play male, some female. Remove choice, decrease sales.
    I actually wondered when I played Odyssey, Kassandra fired some arrows from hiding and got referenced as "she" - "now how do they know?".
    This whole "he" and "she" thing is completely overrated. They chose a neutral sounding name (to most at least) to simplify the audio after all.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@fimbulthulur We don't disagree on this. If Eivor is canonically female (and I really don't mind either way),Ubisoft certainly went out of its way to suggest otherwise in their branding etc. Because all we see is a male Eivor.

Suggested Topics

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics