Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• MexicanTemplar
    39 posts

@max18400 yeah im not saying woman cant fight, is just that i dont believe they were as common as people want to believe, were probably just rare ocassions where they did fight.. .im from mexico in history nobody teach us about all the woman who fight durng our revolution, but there are pictures and proof that they eexist, so they could also by discarded from history.. but thats just an assumption, even though i do believe there may be some female warriors back a days, i dont thinks they were many to be consider an army or have so much military influences like the woman in this game

• Max18400
    402 posts

@outlander1982 did they? I don't remember anything about sages in syndicate?

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@kormac67 well i was not referring to that,I was referring to a break lore thingy,you have to take that in account,Valhalla fit the male/female perfectly,Odysseys it doesn't.You have to find a clever way to make it work.

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@max18400 Yes,he is in the ww1 part,you assassinate him.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@mexicantemplar oh no, you're absolutely right. There likely wasn't armies or massive fractions of shieldmaidens. The extent of their existence is massively exaggerated in TV, games and comics. Which I don't think is a necessarily bad thing if I'm honest. It is one of the historical exaggerations I've always actually liked.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@outlander1982 ah okay. I kinda lost interest in syndicate after I finished the main story so never got to that

• Kormac67
    613 posts

@outlander1982 "Select character: male Eivor/female Eivor" is clever enough for me.
    It is a commercial product, no more no less. Management weighs effort (cost) of gender selectable main char versus revenue (more sales, better replayability for people who want to play it once with each of them) and decides if the product gets the feature or not. Then a story writer thinks up a more or less fitting plot twist for it.
    There is no such thing as "lore". Story is part of the product, be it a movie or a game. Story gets written in a way that the product as a whole turns out well. If it fits lose ends of past products, nice, if not, break-some-eggs-for-the-omelette. I find it funny how people always confuse commercial fiction with history, thinking it all exists and is set in stone. The blank parts do NOT exist, just waiting to be uncovered in fiction. They get created on the fly to fit business requirements.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@kormac67 Selectable gender is a consequence of the RPG-road that Ubisoft has taken with AC especially since Odyssey. Before that, there were already several female protagonists (Aveline in Liberation, Evie in Syndicate, Aya in Origins). But creating a character that can be either male of female dependent on player choice is difficult for an AC game with its pseudo-historical setting, as we have seen with both Odyssey and Valhalla. Yet, I think a female Viking warrior is historically less out of place than a female Greek mercenary competing in the Olympic Games.

There are lots of stories about female warriors in Chinese history... Sounds good to me!

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@kormac67 I understand clearly your point of view.

When I'm talking about the lore,Valhalla integrate the gender choice perfectly in the narrative part,odyssey it doesn't at all,what I means is you chose between Kassandra or Alexios at the beginning,no matter what the game is the same,the thing is to ''fit'' in the lore you can't have two distinct protagonists that does the same exact story and at the same time not break the lore,I don't think you saw the backlash that ubisoft Quebec got for that,people got really mad at this,just look it up.

Again it's not the first time they broke their own lore as I pointed earlier with the sage,but the Kassandra/Alexios choice was a hell of a controversy for the series.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@kormac67 You're right. Blank parts do not exist yet. But other parts do exist, and the longer a series runs, the more parts there are and the more difficult it becomes to keep things consistent. But they can get away with almost anything.

• Kormac67
    613 posts

@outlander1982 People get mad all the time. "One handed swords", wah, wah. It's just nature. And doesn't matter as long as the sales figures are fine. Which pleases not only the shareholders, but is also good for us fans of the franchise, since it leads to the production of more content for us.

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@hroozenbeek You can clearly see thing in valhalla that try to ''correct'' stuff,the first time I tried to jump from a view point,I was like oh I see.That part was not a big deal to me in Odyssey but for other peoples......

• ziggurcat
    167 posts

@kormac67 yeah, I mean some people get mad at the exclusion of one-handed swords (which is a bit of a silly omission, but nothing to be angry about), and others foam at the mouth because of a verified bug that misidentifies the gender of the player character, and jump to the erroneous conclusion that this misidentification is the result of some forced, (frankly non-existent) political agenda.

• Outlander1982
    123 posts

@kormac67 Well yeah the last two games did surely please the shareholders,but the last game for the quebec dev team,being treated like you are the worst pile of trash in the universe by some is not something I would be please to hear.

And @hroozenbeek is right,when you build a franchise you have to take account what was done before,you just cant remove stuff here and there,you have to glue everything together in order to make sense,of course you will always find questionable stuff does not make sense,it's a video game not real life.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@outlander1982 tbh it's the first I heard about anyone having an issue with the gender choice in Odyssey. I mostly saw praise when I looked into it. From what I've seen, people either loved or hated the game with a passion.
    With both Valhalla and odyssey, the choice of choosing a gender fits into gameplay, with the games being an rpg. Whether people thinks it works in the grand assassin's creed story is up for debate.
    Also, moment of shame, I was really hoping annoyed that there were no one handed swords in the game haha it is literally my go to weapon everytime (plus historically they're significant)

• Max18400
    402 posts

@outlander1982 building on the duel protagonist idea, I've just researched it for a bit. The main pushback against two protagonists is that people wanted a female only protagonist. That's based based of posts I remember seeing (were mostly in the group of people who didn't like the game) and a few old articles I just read. Nothing to do about how it affected the story from what I've just looked up

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 As far as I am aware, there also was a lot of commotion around the first DLC (The Legacy of the First Blade), because the story forced the protagonist (either male or female) into a specific heterosexual relationship with Darius' son/daughter to produce a child, Elpidios. For many people this did not fit in with their (firmly established) interpretation of the protagonist, for a variety of reasons. This was clearly an example of the story getting in the way of an RPG's freedom of choice.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@hroozenbeek definitely. I mean I had to. If you search assassin's creed odyssey controversy duel protagonist, that dlc comes up 90% of the time haha. I think that issue was more, 'here's an rpg, play as you see fit, except for this bit where this HAS to happen and has to conform to how we want the story to go'. And rightfully, players kicked off.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 Natakas was clearly no match for my Kassandra, so I think that she had an affair with Darius which they covered up by pretending the child was Natakas'. 😉

• bradero1993
    3 posts

@fimbulthulur hey, [censored]. It didnt force you to start as a female you just got too excited and hit x or a whatever system your on without actually choosing....... and if it made you play as female then how do you know what pronouns are used towards Male eivor?

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics