Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@mitko1197 I always assumed that those instances were tagged with [censored] and that [removed] was used when an offensive or otherwise not acceptable remark had been deleted, but you may very well be right.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@mitko1197 They’ve never been synonyms as far as I’m concerned (and I’m nearly fifty-years-old, so this isn’t some modern thing). The “s-word” has always been a verb (an “action” word) as far as I’m concerned.

• Alphonse929
    7 posts

Is the wrong pronoun thing for male Eivor even fixed for this new patch? Cause I can't seem to see it in the patch notes. Maybe I'm blind.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@dreadgrrl You're free to use the word as you see fit, but the dictionaries don't agree with you. They include both the 'active' and the 'passive' meanings.

• ziggurcat
    167 posts

@alphonse929 It's not just male Eivor. Female Eivor gets called "he" multiple times throughout the game - at least she did in my run through.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

So much time and opinions have gone through here.
    And still no official response from Ubisoft team.
    Shame, really.

• LordRaven4430
    18 posts

"And also this is a [censored] viking game. A viking, historically and 99.9% of the time, is a male. A brute male." Well would love to see the source on that. From all sources no one know for sure how many women were warriors. Some say up to 50% and some say none. Yet from lore and encounters with Vikings around Europe its safe bet that the real number would be most if not all Viking women were also trained warriors. Do to the age and the way the Vikings lived, its easy to conclude women would also need to know how to fight. Also it seems that through history there have been more Females then men. So given that Clans would need Warriors its a very safe bet that they trained there women in the ways of war.

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@lordraven4430 read sagas. There is plenty of info there. Shield-maidens were rare.

Returning to my point. I have nothing against it
    I dont like the promotion of the game. It was misleading.
    And come on... Odin as female... Thats bollocks.
    Would've seen Thor as some smoking brunette or if to be accurate with the norse mythology - as a smoking hot ginger😂😂😂😂

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@gloomseeker white supremacist fantasy? The heck are you talking about?
    Norse people and/or the people living in the northern part of the world are dominantly white with light colored hair with some variations.

It has nothing to do with games, politics or beliefs. It is what it is.
    This is an ethnic group. you cannot write it under white supremacists ideology or definitions...

• LordRaven4430
    18 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • LordRaven4430
    18 posts

@fimbulthulur: RFLOL RFLOL Ok MR. Clueless: Here you go on your so called information.  "The only reason that we have an idea of the 'Vikings' as a people is their appearance in the written sources. Unfortunately, the value of the written evidence is limited. Not a lot of evidence survives, and much of what we have is either uninformative or unreliable. Many popular ideas about Vikings are nineteenth-century inventions. Others are the result of early historians accepting sources which modern scholars now regard as completely unreliable. In Scandinavia the Viking Age is regarded as part of prehistory because there are practically no contemporary written sources. Even in western Europe, the Viking Age is often seen as part of the 'Dark Ages', from which comparatively few historical records have survived." So again how can you say 99% of Vikings were men or shield Maidens were rare. When given the FACT "Viking Age is regarded as part of prehistory because there are practically no contemporary written sources."

• Karloz1995
    268 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • WastelandStag
    19 posts

Why do you care? Seriously why does anyone care about being forced to play a gender. I chose male Eivor because I could, but I'd rather not have a choice and play it how the devs want it.

I don't suddenly experience gender dysmorphia and feel unrepresented if I play as a female.

Being bothered about a characters gender is a bit pathetic, left or right wing.

Could have got the voice acting right though.

Think I'll go play Zero Dawn and cry about being forced to be a female...

• LordRaven4430
    18 posts

@karloz1995: The Viking Grave found in England that contained 300 bodies. “Where gender could be determined, around 20% were women." That mean 60 of them were women... Also Viking graves are very rare...

• WastelandStag
    19 posts

For the record though, almost unanimously the experts on "viking" history agree that their society would allow women all the freedoms of males but they would be extremely unlikely to be warriors, think Randvi but she owns her own land. Making female remains warriors exception to the rule or buried like they were for different reasons.
    This has no bearing on a video game though.

• LordRaven4430
    18 posts

@wastelandstag: Might want to read read all my post, I have already debunked that...

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@lordraven4430 well finding female remains doesnt make them female warriors... is not like the norse society was full of male.. all societies have woman, and finding female bodies doesnt mean nothing.. is like going to rome or greek and finding female remains and think they were female spartans or legionaries when that isnt obviously the case...

they are more likely just female remains from commoners, not vikings... the way to know if this "females" u are saying that they were found where warriors, is based on clothing, injuries, the way they where buried, if there is weapons or some sort of clues that make people think that they were some kind of warrior, and isnt the case, as far as i know there are just like 2 o 3 females buried the viking way that has been found... im not denying that they werent female warriors back a days, im just saying they were rare.. not common as you want to believe

• WastelandStag
    19 posts

I mean I did, but i think I'd rather go off experts.
    Also the find you talk about. It's a mass grave, they think could be part of the great heathen army, but they have no idea. Some historians have speculated it was a beggining of a settlement, looted by anglo saxons.
    There are so many theories we don't know and may never know the answers, so I'd rather go with the majority of expert opinion than the populist few. Until it can be definitively proven wrong, or the majority change their view.

Regardless, it doesn't change my opinion that people shouldn't whinge about video game genders. Who cares if you can't relate because they're a man or a woman, you can't relate to a badass hero of a video game anyway whilst you're sat at your computer/console playing anyway. And playing the historical accuracy card for a video game, or any type of non documentary media, is just dumb.

• xrayspex_73
    144 posts

What a dumb thing to complain about...

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics