Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Max18400
    402 posts

@detroitin2019 it's kind of ironic they seemed to have burned both gender choices in a game where both are 'Canon'. With the male version being called female names, pronouns etc. And voice acting and aesthetic choices of the female version not being great.
    I do hope it is a bug or glitch they'll fix. They have promised to fix/add a lot in the next patch.

• detroitin2019
    99 posts

@max18400
    agreed. Hopefully they improve these things sooner than later. I’ve put the game on hold till next patch comes out (rumor is this week) for other gameplay reasons I’m optimistic get tweaked/fixed.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@detroitin2019 fingers crossed 🤞 I've said before I do think that the production was rushed, so hopefully the next few months will bring the game up to scratch

• Kormac67
    622 posts

Oh boy...
    If you want to play male, just do it. Why chose "let the animus decide" and then be mad about the outcome?
    For me it is no female, no deal. Origins is gathering dust at 10% because I just dislike that dude I have to run around with.
    And riding a huge lava wolf is not immersion breaking, nor is suddenly being am Arab woman hopping on Tron-looking blue blocks - but a few sloppies in the texting are?

Don't hope for fixes there. They were probably not recorded in the first place (that's why both are called "Eivor" - to simplify texting), and they won't redo voice acting for little things like that.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@kormac67 I hate those aspects of the game... Personally, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing that awful looking armor set or riding on a wolf... But then again it's down to player choice. Those elements are optional.
    I'm sticking to playing as a male, other then the odd 5 minutes I decided to see what the female avatar player like. And, I'd be making reporting the issue if it was the other way around.
    If it is just a bug or error in coding, I do think they'll fix it. If it's an error in voice acting, who knows? Ubisoft have acknowledged it's an issue so chances are they will try to do something.

• Sam_Boo26
    148 posts

There were female vikings. It has been confirmed many times by History and I remember even recent discoveries about this that were saying that it was a more common thing than we thought.

Also, play as the male option if you don't want the female one. Both versions are canon for the animus; there's an in-game explanation for this.

As for the dialogues of male Eivor being called a female, it's surely a bug, and they will correct it. I'm playing as female Eivor and sometimes she's being adressed as an "he" in bandits camps for example, which is also a bug they will eventually correct.

• Gooby1452
    10 posts

This game is riddled with many bugs and technical errors that ruin the game for me. This is the last thing I thought anyone would have such a big problem with. Whenever the game mistakes my character as a female I laugh and brush it off as a small error. Pretty sure ubisoft didn't mean to upset you by accidentally calling you a girl sometimes.

• MitchThundercok
    27 posts

Ya calmed down yet? LMAO!

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@sam_boo26
    Its not about that.
    The game mechanics force the female canon upon you.
    1. Animus chooses for you the female version.
    2. While playing a male Eivor, you are being called feminine pronouns.
    3. Your name in Alfred's notes is always Eivor Varinsdottir. Which is Daughter of Varin.
    4. There is an end-game cutscene where you are shown as female.

This is the problem.

Even though you choose, the game doesnt agree with you and forces you to a female Eivor.

As you can see, this is pretty much [censored].

Pronouns - can be bugs, but the rest is total bs.

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@gooby1452
    I laughed my [censored] out off the first time this happened, when some thugs came upon, just after I finished decapitating a Zealot infront of them😂

But later this becomes annoying

• Fimbulthulur
    Original poster 64 posts

@sam_boo26

Proven by History? The Tv channel?
    Don't tell me Vikings TV series serve as a proof for this XD

I also believe there were shield maidens, this makes scandinavian history even more cool.

Yet if you ask a random person, about his/her first association when they hear the word "viking" - most say " tall, savage man, with blonde hair and blue eyes" or something close to that.

There are very few historical documents, which are Sagas btw, that describe shield maidens.
    Unfortunately, Sagas tend to exaggerate, so Ragnar, for example, might not have existed at all.

But, its not about that.

The game forces the opinion of other people onto your gameplay, despite what was promised, whether you like it or not.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@fimbulthulur couldn't have said it better myself 👆

• Quor321
    232 posts

@fimbulthulur Well I haven't reached end game so thanks for that...... The game does start with an animus glitch, some sort of over lapping data, one male one female. Not surprised this comes up later in game. The game designers do get some artistic liberties, for the most part you play as the gender you choose. Not sure how this is even an issue.

• MADDS755
    1 posts

I freaking love being able to choose. No politics about it.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@quor321 it's an issue because in a game where PLAYER choice is supposedly important, it's is kinda disrespectful and insulting when either a bug or design flaw, negates your choice or simply infers that it it wrong.
    It's similar issue when as anyone identifies as a man or woman in every day life, and someone calls you the wrong gender. Like if you call a woman 'he', it's considered rude.
    Whilst not game breaking, it's a bit insulting and immersion breaking when playing as a male in an RPG game, your choice isn't reflected in dialogue options. If it's not an issue for you, or if you don't care, good for you, carry on enjoying the game.
    But it's an issue for a lot of players and people whom I've spoken to about it.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@max18400 I get the bug issue, those can take away from enjoying the game. In no way should art, TV, movies, or games be compared to real life effects of race, gender, or any other civil rights issue. The most basic of rights is the right to live. This game tracks kills, and so do many others, so the hot social media topic of gender don't belong here.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@quor321 I'm not making it about gender, gender identity nor am I trying to start a debate? No offence is meant to you, or anyone else on this forum. It was simply an easy comparison to show why being called the pronoun is a bit insulting.
    I'm saying it's the same principle as calling someone something they're not. It's immersion breaking and deflating when the game essentially players "you're wrong if you want to play exclusively as a male in this game" and dialogue options support that. Yeah you can still rock around the game as a big burly, bearded viking, it doesn't take away from the actual gameplay. But it does take away from the overall immersion and a 'viking experience' when a bug, or design flaw then calls you her, or she when playing as a man.
    I'm pretty sure if it was the other way around, there's be similar mistakes, people would be as annoyed.

• SofaJockey
    169 posts

@fimbulthulur What is this nonsense you're coming out with, OP.

Both are canon.

For 'best' effect let the animus choose.

But you can play whichever way you please.

That is all. 🙄

• Nozgame
    50 posts

@fimbulthulur You do know this game involves a [censored] ton of politics right ? It's literally what war is all about, politics. The modern story even involves climate change and stuff. Also this is what the devs wanted to do. Stop being a neckbeard. Every time a woman is in a game neckbeards like you go "mUh PuHLiTiCS". Deal with it, snowflake.

Marketing is trash for not putting the canon character (female Eivor) on the forefront though I totally agree with that. Also they didn't lie, you always can choose who you play, unless you pick the non-canon path. They don't owe you [censored] and they don't have to fix anything relating to this non-issue.

"And also this is a f***ing viking game. A viking, historically and 99.9% of the time, is a male. A brute male."
    Damn you sound like Serge Hascoet right now, massive yikes. You said it yourself, 99.9%, I guess Eivor is that .1% 🙂

• Max18400
    402 posts

@nozgame literally have no issue with whom players choose to play as. Just make it inclusive either way?
    Whether it's canonical or not.
    Look at Odyysey, I appreciate some people loved it, others hated it, but Kassandra was the Canon protagonist, yet if ubisoft didn't say anything you wouldn't be able to tell? The alexios campaign was exactly the same, just a change in name and pronouns.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics