Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UNSOLVED [PC] After TU 1.1.0, I am experiencing FPS drops / low CPU and GPU utilisation | POST HERE

64 Likes/1269 Replies/40204 Views
    longjohn119
    620 posts

@stoyandanov It's not properly allocating VRAM and if VRAM isn't allocated properly streaming of textures and other assets suffers and the FPS falls off the table ..... I've been saying for months it's not a CPU utilization problem really it's something to do with asset streaming and the CPU is only going to work as hard as the streaming allows it to work .... Ramping up CPU usage doesn't do a damn thing if the bottleneck is VRAM streaming of assets

I'm telling you it's because they tried to introduce Resizeable BAR into this technologically ancient game engine ..... In the 21st Century any technology older than 5 years is essentially obsolete because things progress at a faster and faster rate .... In the 90's 10 years was the Rule of Thumb but now with most tech on a 1-2 year Development Cycle obsolescence speeded up .... It's not entirely Ubisoft's fault because console manufacturers were the ones holding things back but trying to shoehorn something like Resizeable BAR into old game engines and PC hardware is just begging for problems

• Schother12
    37 posts

This whole gets more and more ridcolous.
    Just look at the article here:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/future-assassins-creed-valhalla-title-updates-will-be-less-frequent-but-more-refined/

And read this statement:

"Our community is at the heart of everything we do, and we always strive to provide you with great experiences,” Ubisoft wrote. “That said, we recognize that some of our recent title updates may not have met your expectations or been up to our standards.

“We have made several changes to production pipelines and tools so that we can deliver more robust updates”, it claimed.

See the community is the heart of everything..probably that's why they are ignoring it in such a consequent manner 🙄

This biggest topic ignored is probably this here..but there are others too like these ones, to just give few examples:

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/86962/please-let-us-disable-the-temporal-anti-aliasing?lang=en-US&sort=newest_to_oldest

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/77400/anti-aliasing?_=1619643533779

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/79491/blurry-visuals-specifically-water-odin-sight-highlighted-enemies/6

For me it looks like they are just plainly ignoring all kind of technical issues. Still not sure if they are just not competent enough to fix or just plainly ignorant.

They look into fixing quest bugs and of course their cosmetics to grab some additional cash but simply don't give a poop about any PC related problems or requests.
    As long as people somehow can play it..no matter how bad the experience is it's not important enough to look into it.

Reminds me also of an old statement from Ubi at the time of AC Unity when they claimed 30 fps feel more cinematic 🤓

https://www.technobuffalo.com/assassins-creed-unity-framerate-30fps-more-cinematic

• stoyandanov
    16 posts

@here Guys, will you agree to bump this thread each time you experience the issue, each time you have to restart the game, each time you battle fails, each time you raid fails. Let's keep this in the top so they can stop ignoring us and either fix or refund!

Ok, I tried, got more than 13 hours in the game. Each start I have to do twice exit to title screen and then I start playing fine ... fine until I got myself into raid, and then again and again ... my options are either to complete the raid in slow motion with 6 fps, or start again from scratch with 50 fps and then again try to finish the raid with 6 fps.

Few thing are ridiculous:

• to purchase a reskin of the last two games you already played without issues and the new game is not even optimized, it got worse, worse 10 times in counted FPS!
    • continuously asking the client for specific details, when I already share all with the cloud, my save games, my graphic stats, all - I know you know more that I can give you
    • If this is an issue for just a bunch of people, why refuse a refund? It is ok if you cannot fix an issue, but it is not ok to keep the money and do not fix the issue, just share at least a voucher for you store, so we can stop hoping for miracle and buy the DLC of Odyssey

Yeah, I'm really disappointed for more than 3 months and now I will do my best to let anyone know in person about this bad experience and bad support I had. I live just 500 meter from Ubisoft Sofia Office, everyone here knows who is Ubisoft, everyone aroung wear backpacks and hats of Valhalla, but cannot help!

• RitzPaul94
    35 posts
    Banned

@peterlaub They don't care man they even banned from this forum a few days back for speaking the truth. I was a ubisoft fan until they banned me for speaking the truth this is how they treat their fans
    not by fixing or helping but by banning their consumers who paid full price for a broken game. Well done ubisoft you are doing great.

• stoyandanov
    16 posts

Here I'm posting again. What you do when during a raid the FPS drop, any hack to fix or bypass the FPS drop when you cannot save? It is a nightmare to complete the whole raid in slow motion. Second day in a row I try to complete the same raid again and again, entering the raid with 50 FPS and trying to complete it with 5 FPS. The worst thing is that the FPS drop always happen in the beggiing and than during a battle, when you cannot save the game, so this is not a solution. Seems to me that even if you are very patient, with this issue it is actually impossible to progress in the game.

• peterlaub
    Original poster 66 posts

Well guys..

Here we are.

Almost 5 months from when I first postede this thread. And what has happend? A lot, just not a lot good for this game.
    Perhapse I made the mistake of only asking, if any other players had experienced the FPS drop, that I encountered. And not officially asking Ubisoft to help us..
    Ohh boy, almost 1000 answers, almost 30000 views.. I think i'm not the only one with this stupid problem!

So Dear Ubisoft, get your (censored) together and fix this bloddy FPS problem. I havent got all my life!

Its getting toe crunchingly bad, the way you are handling this.. Or should I say the way, that you are NOT handling this...

Sincerely the old, bearded and now bald Danish Viking!

• peterlaub
    Original poster 66 posts

@ritzpaul94
    This all sucks, big time!

• aabelar10
    1 posts
    huh. it started happening to me yesterday. after ~22 hours of game, from 50 to 18 fps ;/ ubisoft...

Pretty much identical issue here - I started experiencing the seemingly random fps drops after 12ish hours into the game. I can be running at 50-45 fps, and then out of nowhere I drop down to 18-15 fps, and it does not go back up until I reload my save. This is on 4k resolution with a 90% resolution scale (RTX 2080).

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3626 posts

Hello there,

I apologise for the delayed response. Thank you all for continuing to update this thread with your reports, and for taking the time to include images and videos where appropriate. I would like to assure you all that this is topic is still being investigated further, and that the team are doing what they can to improve performance on PC. We have been checking out the reports that you have made, and these are being treated seriously.

The development team has been looking into this issue further, and would like to collect some additional information from players affected. We don't yet have any new information to share from the development team regarding the investigation. I have passed on the reports that have been shared within this thread as part of the ongoing investigation. We will continue to do so as further reports are shared here in this thread that provide the requested information we need, provided below. Without this information, the developers' investigation will be unable to continue.

If you have not already, we would ask players to try these basic PC troubleshooting steps. These steps help to tackle various common issues that could be causing performance issues in-game, so we ask you to try these first. We appreciate that a number of you have already tried several troubleshooting steps, and thank you for including these in your reports.

If you are encountering low FPS and CPU/GPU utilisation in-game after trying the above troubleshooting steps, please can you provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first occur for you?
    • Is this issue persistent, or does it only happen in certain locations/when carrying out certain actions?
    • What are your current graphical settings in-game?
    • Can you please provide a video that demonstrates the issue in-game?

Additionally, the team would be interested in collecting system files and images. Please can you open a support ticket and provide the following:

• A copy of your MSinfo and DxDiag.
    • An image of your current graphical settings in-game
    • An image that shows your CPU and GPU usage whilst running the benchmark (this can be through any supported software for your hardware, or programs such as Rivatuner Statistics Server).

Creating a support ticket will allow us to keep all of this information together in one place, so I recommend that you take the time to do this. You can open a support ticket via the Ubisoft Support website or via live chat. Once you have opened a ticket, please can you share your ticket number within this thread so we can ensure these are passed on to the development team.

If you have already opened a support ticket and submitted these files, please can you share the ticket number with us so we can check these out.

We understand that this may not be the update you were all hoping for, but again would like to reassure you that we will continue working with you all to try and get these issues resolved. Until the development team are provided with these further specific details to help them analyse the potential cause of the issue, they are unable to plan for a fix, so collecting as much information as possible is our current priority. Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

@ruanseth - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you feel our responses are scripted. Please be assured that we take the time to try and read every post made within these threads, and we aim to address any queries or concerns that have been raised. We are unable to speculate on fixes or ETAs on updates when these are not available. We try our best to update you all as soon as we are able to, but this can take longer than anticipated when contact volumes in the forums are high.

Thank you 🙂

Official Response
  • ShockB0lt
    13 posts

@ubi-borealis Hi there, about the first two questions: The issue started after update 1.1.0, before that everything worked great. For me, the issue happens in every populated place in the game, where there is a lot of AI, when i'm in a open field with no NPCs, the CPU usage is fine. The rest i answered/sent i few days ago in a recent ticket. Thanks.

• SoberStone999
    59 posts

@shockb0lt Yeah, for me it's been like this since Day 1. Happens mostly in cities and in the main settlement.

• ruanseth
    32 posts

@ubi-borealis Well, thank you very much for responding, even if if did take some time. Reading, not just this thread, but, many others in this forum, it does seem like there is a very basic and standard set of responses, which is often repeated throughout a thread, and this gives little confidence that anything is truly being looked into. This particular issue has been running for many months now, so you must have a handle on what we have explained over and over. There have been some other unrelated performance problems posted in here by some, that clouds things somewhat, but, there must be enough proven info gathered that performance has been hampered following the release of update 1.1.0.... Maybe a developer could step in here and find out more if needed?

Personally speaking I have seen some improvement with the last two updates that give, at least, a more even performance profile, but, I'm still getting a far lower average frame rate than I did on release. I would like to see this restored if that is possible.

I have now finished the main game after 150 hours, but continue to complete tasks on the map. I loved 'almost' every minute, and am looking forward to the first DLC, but I would be even happier if this issue were to be resolved for those whose experience has been spoiled.

• Zarael1721
    96 posts

@ubi-borealis

Man we are waiting for fix since december, the game playability and performance before patch 1.1.0 was fine then came the new patch and fps went drasticaly down especially in towns and locations with more npcs probably caused by GPU or CPU low utilisation... I check this thread since it was created after that broken patch hoping there will be some usefull news but after 5 months zero progress, and we sended everything ubi support was asking for.... i am exhosted to responding always with same words but you should really prove that you are not useless and bring some progress already in this issue... For now just very sad having game what was working more than 100 hours perfectly and then after patch (where was written that should improve performance btw) works like [censored] ... i was shocked...

• Yesin069
    554 posts

@ubi-borealis

Thanks for the respond!

For me the performance just tanks too much in areas like Fornberg or Vinland. Cities like Lunden or outside areas all run fine with over 70 fps (at least 60). I only notice the drops when the fps fall from 70 to 40 in places like Fornberg. It just feels choppy and I was able to run Red Dead Redemption 2 with at least 60 fps everytime on the same system, so Valhalla should run even better because RDR2 has much more detail and much more complex AI routines than Valhalla.

It would be great if you could ask the team if they could give us the option to play in DX11 on PC because i think this would fix many issues. This is the first time they use DX12 and i think it was the wrong decision to directly make this the only mode to choose from because they also dont use any DX12 exlusive features like Raytracing or DLSS (PLEASE ADD DLSS TO VALHALLA!!!!).

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there,

@ShockB0lt - Thank you for providing me with some additional information, and for letting me know you opened a support ticket with the system files. You've provided us with a lot of helpful information and images in your support ticket, and I've passed these along to the development team so they can take a closer look at these.

@SoberStone999 - I'm sorry to hear you're encountering performance issues in-game. Would you be able to provide us with the additional information requested in my previous message? We can then pass this along to the development team for a closer look.

@ruanseth - I apologise if any of our messages sound repetitive. In regards to this thread, the development team require very specific information from affected players to assist in the investigation. We appreciate that a number of players have already provided some of this information already (such as images from the benchmark, or more information about when and where the issue occurs). As there can be several causes behind performance issues in-game, we would require all of the information requested before we can pass the completed report to the development team. We have repeated the key information in several posts so it's easier for any new players visiting the thread to provide required information.

The development team don't post in the forums. If you have any feedback or concerns, we are happy to pass these along on your behalf. I can assure you that the team are investigating this issue further. I'm happy to hear your performance has improved with the previous updates, though I understand your FPS is still lower than anticipated. If you're able to provide the additional information requested below, we can pass this along as part of the ongoing investigation.

@Zarael1721 - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. I understand that the investigation has been going on for quite some time now, and I would like to assure you that we are treating this issue seriously. The development team have been having trouble finding out the potential cause of this issue. To help with the investigation, we would like players to open support tickets to provide all of the requested information below. Without this information, it makes it very difficult for the team to plan for a fix, so we are trying to collect as much information as possible. As you've been affected by this issue, would you be able to open a support ticket and provide us with the following:

• A copy of your MSinfo and DxDiag.
    • An image of your current graphical settings in-game
    • An image that shows your CPU and GPU usage whilst running the benchmark (this can be through any supported software for your hardware, or programs such as Rivatuner Statistics Server).

We can then pass your report to the development team.

@Yesin069 - Thank you for letting me know where the FPS drops happen for you. Would you be able to provide us with the additional images/files requested below? We can then forward this to the development team.

Currently, a GPU with DirectX 12 Feature Level 12_0 support is part of the system requirements to run the game. We are not aware of any plans for the development team to add support for any Feature Levels below this, including DX11. We've passed your feedback on to the dedicated team. If this support is to be added to the game, it will be shared on our official platforms and within the News & Announcements forum.

Thanks all 😊

Official Response
  • SoberStone999
    59 posts

@ubi-borealis As requested. We'll see how far it will go.

Case Number 14631028

https://imgur.com/a/FxsYDgy

• Ubi-Borealis

Thanks for opening a support ticket for us, @SoberStone999. I've passed on your system files and the images you have provided to the development team 😊

Official Response
  • T1GFX
    38 posts

@soberstone999 Your GPU is maxed out... Your problem is unrelated to what this thread is actually about. In fact, there's no problem in your provided screenshots.

• T1GFX
    38 posts

@Ubi-Borealis So before starting out I just want to mention that there are about 5 different kinds of performance issues reported by users in this thread, so it's a mess. What I'm reporting about is the performance lock on Intel CPUs causing unplayable framerates. What I also have to mention is that my hardware is not a bottleneck (unlike some other reports here that show 99% gpu usage or the other way). In my case the game is the bottleneck - because none of my components are being fully utilized during gameplay starting from TU 1.1.0.

If you are encountering low FPS and CPU/GPU utilisation in-game after trying the above troubleshooting steps, please can you provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first occur for you? The next update after 1.0.4 — 1.1.0 and ever since. So that's about 5 months of this critical issue not being addressed.
    • Is this issue persistent, or does it only happen in certain locations/when carrying out certain actions? CPU usage is locked to 50% everywhere in the world after TU 1.1.0, reducing framerate from 80+ (prior to 1.1.0) to 26-30-40 with stutters (starting from 1.1.0).
    • What are your current graphical settings in-game? Intel cpu users are affected by 50% lock bug therefore graphical settings do not make a difference in framerate unless an user's GPU can not handle 30 fps in the first place. In my scenario, starting from TU 1.1.0 - 1280x720 50% res scale, all low - grants the same fps as 3840x2160 max settings. Just by looking at the last sentence you should see there is a problem with the game.

My assumption on what causes the usage lock on specific Intel CPU models - the CPU does not have hyperthreading support but game doesn't perform a check/assumes it does and locks the max usage to 50% after TU 1.1.0.

• Can you please provide a video that demonstrates the issue in-game? I've attached detailed screenshots with in-game and rivatuner graphs to the support case which show more than a video can.

To put things into perspective, here is the performance on v1.0.4 sent by another user who informed us that downgrading to 1.0.4 is possible via unethical methods - i5-2500K maxes out a GTX 1070 on update 1.0.4 and, in result, achieves 69 FPS in the benchmark run. I can assure you nobody can get these performance numbers on Intel processors which do not support hyperthreading starting from TU 1.1.0. https://discussions.akamaized.net/static/prod/files/049ebe0c-d024-48de-9da6-5807e22a43ef.png

It would be important if you could forward this message to the developers:
    Starting from TU 1.1.0 - after noticing that the CPU is stuck at 50% I may have realized what the issue is. It's the lack of hyperthreading - and the game wants you to have it for whatever reason now. It would also explain why high end CPU users (9700K and such) have these issues. Here are all the processors that should be affected - sort by highest processor frequency and you will see that even recent CPUs are in that list: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/search/featurefilter.html?productType=873&0_HyperThreading=False

And an extracted list of some modern/semi-modern CPUs affected:
    i3-8350K, i3-9350K, i3-9350K, i5-7600K, i3-8300, i5-9600K, i3-9300, i5-9600K, i3-9320, i5-8600K, i3-8100, i3-9100, i7-9700K, i7-9700K, i3-8100B, i3-9100F i5-4690, i5-4690K i5-6600K i5-7600, i5-2550K, i5-3570, i5-3570K, i5-4670, i5-4670K, i5-7500, i5-2500, i5-2500K, i5-3550, i5-4590, i5-6600, i5-2450P, i5-3470, i5-4570, i5-4690S, i5-4460, i5-6500, i5-6685R, i3-8300T, i3-9300T, i5-2400, i5-2380P, i5-3570S, i5-3450, i5-3350P, i5-4440, i5-4670S, i5-3340, i3-8100T, i5-8600, i5-9600, i3-9100T, i3-9100E, i5-2320, i5-3550S, i5-3330, i5-4430, i5-4670R, i5-4590S, i5-7400, i5-8500, i5-8500B, i3-8100H, i5-9500i5-9500F, i7-9700, i7-9700F, i5-9500Ei5-2310i5-3475S i5-3470S, i5-4570S, i5-4460S, i5-7440E i5-9400, i5-9400F i5-8400, i5-2300, i5-3450S i5-4440S, i5-3340S, i5-6585R, i5-6402P, i5-7600T, i5-7440H, i5-8400B, i5-2500S, i5-3330S, i5-4430S, i5-4570R, i5-6600T, i5-6400, i5-6440E, i5-7500T

~

And finally, here is my case id. https://support.ubisoft.com/en-US/Cases/13807427 It contains lots more info that I do not need to share here.
    I've sent it the third time now so please make it happen. Not just for me but the remaining intel userbase.

• SoberStone999
    59 posts

@t1gfx I beg to differ, the problem isn't my GPU. My game runs fine, 60-50fps, but when this issue occurs (randomly) it goes between 30-20 fps and stays there no matter what I do until I restart. Soemtimes I get hours without problems and sometimes I load the game and after 5 mins the fps start dipping. I'm pretty sure this issue relates to me, I was one of the firsts to notice and make a thread about it.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics