Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2029 posts

Hello there!

@T1GFX - Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed report with us. We're aware that performance issues can have a number of different causes, and the development team are also aware of this when checking out the reports submitted to us. This is one of the reasons why we have asked players to try these troubleshooting steps if they haven't already, as these can help to tackle a number of common causes behind poor performance.

Thank you for clarifying further how you have been affected by this issue. I've checked out your support ticket and collected your system files/accompanying images. These have now been forwarded to the development team, as well as the report you have shared with us here. I have included your information regarding Intel CPUs, as this could be very helpful for the ongoing investigation.

Thank you for your additions to the discussion, @ShockB0lt, and for providing suggestions on how @SoberStone999 may improve their performance. I'd like to assure @SoberStone999 that your report has been passed on the development team for a closer look as part of the investigation.

Thank you! ūüėä

Official Response
  • longjohn119
    478 posts
    @ubi-borealis

Thanks for the respond!

For me the performance just tanks too much in areas like Fornberg or Vinland. Cities like Lunden or outside areas all run fine with over 70 fps (at least 60). I only notice the drops when the fps fall from 70 to 40 in places like Fornberg. It just feels choppy and I was able to run Red Dead Redemption 2 with at least 60 fps everytime on the same system, so Valhalla should run even better because RDR2 has much more detail and much more complex AI routines than Valhalla.

It would be great if you could ask the team if they could give us the option to play in DX11 on PC because i think this would fix many issues. This is the first time they use DX12 and i think it was the wrong decision to directly make this the only mode to choose from because they also dont use any DX12 exlusive features like Raytracing or DLSS (PLEASE ADD DLSS TO VALHALLA!!!!).

True but they are using Resizeable BAR (or at least attempting to) and that isn't available on DX11 ...... Plus Microsoft more or less forced them to go to DX12 so cross platform saves would work correctly

I'm telling you this problem started when they started implementing Resizeable Bar into the game engine with update 1.1.0 ..... The simplest and fastest solution is to just dump it for now, take the extensions out and problem solved ..... Basically go back to the 1.0.4 build and add the new quests, features and bug fixes to that .... Management needs to realize resizeable BAR is just not going to work in this game engine right now

• longjohn119
    478 posts
    @t1gfx I beg to differ, the problem isn't my GPU. My game runs fine, 60-50fps, but when this issue occurs (randomly) it goes between 30-20 fps and stays there no matter what I do until I restart. Soemtimes I get hours without problems and sometimes I load the game and after 5 mins the fps start dipping. I'm pretty sure this issue relates to me, I was one of the firsts to notice and make a thread about it.

Actually it is your GPU but not your GPU's fault ...... There is a VRAM memory leak caused by the Resizeable BAR implementation that was added to the game around 1.1.0 ..... It's going to work similar to a DRAM memory leak in that the longer you play the worse it gets as it no longer can allocate RAM (in this case VRAM) properly ..... The CPU is only going to work as hard as the asset streaming allows it to work, the FPS is only going to be as high as the asset streaming speed. Also Resizeable BAR needs PCIe 4.0 to work and it seems to affect Intel more because none of their CPUs support PCIe 4.0 like Ryzen has since the 3000 series .... Granted it shouldn't be a problem but only if Resizeable BAR is properly implemented and I'm suggesting that implementing PCIe 4.0 is messing with the PCIe 3.0 extensions/APIs for Intel CPUs more than Ryzen

• Kormac67
    570 posts

@longjohn119 This is pure speculation of yours.

• longjohn119
    478 posts
    @longjohn119 This is pure speculation of yours.

Speculation based off of facts and 35 years of experience

Crashes and low FPS started at the exact same time they added the Resizeable BAR extension to the game engine which was update 1.1.0 according to Kalidian the author of Special K which is why he dropped support completely

• Ryusennin
    69 posts

It's Kaldaien, not "Kalidian".

And no, I still don't believe Re-BAR is the culprit, especially on Intel architectures. The devs would have long noticed themselves by now.

• Snt.Grem
    24 posts

Oh my god ... ūüôā they again ask us for dxdiag and msinfo. For the fourth time. Again they assure that the problem is not ignored and is being investigated ... Megatred exceeded 1000 messages, of course I believe in the lie that they are not can reproduce this problem in themselves when every second user can do it.Screenshots and videos in this thread are more than enough to create a new game, but no, they need tickets and useless hardware data again ...

• longjohn119
    478 posts
    It's Kaldaien, not "Kalidian".

And no, I still don't believe Re-BAR is the culprit, especially on Intel architectures. The devs would have long noticed themselves by now.

Well if you have a better explanation let's hear it .....

There are two things I know

1. Performance fell off the table at update 1.1.0
    2. Major changes were made to the GPU memory handling and CPU direct access to it in update 1.1.0

Shortly afterwards Nvidia announces Re-BAR is being enabled in the drivers and list 8 games that will support it, one of them was Valhalla .... Adding it to the game had to happen before the official announcement and drivers became available and there was a big change in the game engine at update 1.1.0

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

Yep game ran fine on release played through it with 120 hours playtime. I came back to it with exact same system setup about 1 month ago and just had constant CTD's and i mean constant every 30 mins to 2 hours. The CTD's are completely random too. In event viewer its due to "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I have tried updating drivers (had old ones before) and that did nothing, I even went as far as updating chipset and sound drivers incase one of those were outdated and that fixed nothing. What really annoys me is this game was WORKING on release yes it may of been buggy but atleast it was not constantly crashing to desktop or having very low fps to what it was before. Patches are meant to improve games not make them worse and if a bad patch does come out then it should be fixed asap and not take months to fix with no indication of when said update will come. I am appalled at the state of the game right now and am considering not ordering another game from ubisoft if this is how they treat customers after a few months of a game release.

System Specs
    Windows 10 64bit
    Ryzen 3900x
    EVGA GTX 1070TI FTW2
    32GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Game installed on a NVMe 2000MB/s Read and write

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there!

@Snt-Grem - We appreciate that players have shared their system files with us before, and that they have taken the time to share additional images and videos within this thread. We've asked players to submit new system files that reflect their most current system, as it's possible that their system has undergone changes since they first shared these with us. As every system is different, these files are extremely useful in helping the development team to identify what is potentially causing the issue.

As we cannot receive these system files via the forums, we ask players to open a support ticket so we can collect these files and pass them on for further investigation. If you're having trouble opening a support ticket, please do let us know and we'll gladly try to assist ūüôā

To help us to investigate this issue further, would you be able to provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first occur for you?
    • Is this issue persistent, or does it only happen in certain locations/when carrying out certain actions?
    • What are your current graphical settings in-game?
    • Can you please provide a video that demonstrates the issue in-game?

Could you also open a support ticket, if you haven't already, and submit the following files:

• A copy of your¬†MSinfo¬†and¬†DxDiag.
    • An image of your current graphical settings in-game
    • An image that shows your CPU and GPU usage whilst running the benchmark (this can be through any supported software for your hardware, or programs such as Rivatuner Statistics Server).

If you have opened up a support ticket previously, please can you provide us with updated copies of your MSinfo and DxDiag. We can then pass these along to the development team for further investigation.

@The_Devils_Son - I'm sorry to hear you're encountering frequent crashes in-game. Thank you for sharing what troubleshooting steps you've already tried. I'd also recommend trying the other steps on this troubleshooting guide. In particular, please ensure that you have any background applications disabled, as these can interfere with game files.

If the issue persists, I would recommend opening a support ticket so our team can take a closer look at your system files. You can open a support ticket via the Ubisoft Support website or by starting a live chat. When opening a ticket, please have your MSinfo and DxDiag ready to upload, as our team will need these to investigate further.

Thanks! ūüėä

Official Response
  • Snt.Grem
    24 posts

@ubi-borealis You will of course excuse me for being honest, but absolutely nothing has changed in 5 months, you ignored this problem and you continue to ignore it. More than one such anxious employee like you came here and wrote exactly the same template message and then disappeared forever, two times as a rule we did not see anyone. 

We have already sent a bunch of tickets and provided a lot of screenshots and videos in this thread, as I said earlier, this data is more than enough and I am sure you can easily reproduce this problem on yourself without our pleas for help, but you are just a company of scammers, in at the moment, a huge part of the players simply cannot get what they paid for, and for 5 months you "transfer our system data to your programmers". Unscrupulous, irresponsible scammers. Even if you ban me for this truth, you will still read it. Rest assured, you will never receive my money again in your life!

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

@ubi-borealis Look into this topic as well please and quite a few reddit threads regarding the crashes and even Nvidia forums has crash reports just for this game regarding that error. There is also quite a few people in here posting same thing https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78181/i-am-experiencing-frequent-crashes-freezes-in-game-post-here?lang=en-US&sort=newest_to_oldest

I would also like to say I have troubleshooted quite abit on my system.
    I have run a DISM online check of system, then I ran SFC.
    I have updated all drivers.
    I have triple checked nothing is overheating and/or spiking when game is running everything in system is running at good temps with cpu being highest at 71oC which is well within tolerance.
    I have run a AIDA64 stress test and that just keeps running with not 1 error.
    I have run a memtest and my memory is fine.
    I don't use any third party monitoring software when running the game. (apart from troubleshooting why it crashes)

This is the only game where its been constantly crashing with no indication of why apart from "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

@ubi-borealis Also i would like to report the crashes link up to this in the launcher log.

UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      ApiProcessConnection.cpp (---)                  Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.

The asterix after process ID are the same however change each time i load the game.

The dashes are always the same but unsure if its related to account infomation so i blanked them out.

Everytime my game crashes it disconnects 4 times then the crash happens. Someone else reported this on the game crash thread.

• longjohn119
    478 posts

@the_devils_son The display driver is crashing because of a VRAM memory leak, illegal memory access or other memory access problem ..... It basically works the same as the the Windows Kernel when it experiences a memory leak or memory problem it pukes to a blue screen or just shuts down ......  nvlddmkm.sys is basically the Nvidia GPU's version of a Kernel but it is not a problem with the GPU or  nvlddmkm.sys but the way a program is trying to use it ..... It shuts down on purpose because memory leaks and buffer overflows (a part of the memory controller) is the number one way a hacker can exploit a system and get Root access ... In fact Nvidia just released new drivers a couple of week ago that fixed 8 CVEs and and most of them were potential buffer overflow exploits ... There were also two CVEs that were directly related to nvlddmkm.sys " where improper access control may lead to denial of service, information disclosure, or data corruption."

This is a big part of the reason I loath bugs in any kind of software because Bugs are the number one security risk because they allow exploits that shouldn't happen and this game is essentially always online when you are playing it ..... Also note that improper access control may lead to data corruption ..... Like broken saves that don't properly show that a milestone/event has been completed which causes the "unable to proceed ... " "unable to progress ..." and "unable to interact ..." bugs in the Known Problems list of which there are at least 3 dozens listings

• longjohn119
    478 posts

@the_devils_son Next time this happens check your autosave timestamps and see if they line up to this event .... This could be happening when it tries to do an autosave to the cloud which I have suspected is the case for several months now and part of the reason for the broken saves issues I listed above

• longjohn119
    478 posts

@longjohn119 Here is a CVE I missed and explains some of how this can work quite well

"Another high-severity bug, CVE-2021-1075, rates 7.3 on the CVSS scale. NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver for Windows, all versions, contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape where the program dereferences a pointer that contains a location for memory that is no longer valid, which may lead to code execution, denial of service, or escalation of privileges."

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

@longjohn119 Yep my recent autosave is exact time the crash happens and the launcher log shows the same stuff I posted below and has 4 new disconnects with said new timestamps. So this autosave system is accessing something it should not?

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there,

@Snt-Grem - Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. As I mentioned in my previous post, we require very specific information from affected players to pass on to our development team, so they can investigate this issue further. They have requested that we collect updated system files, following TU 1.2.1, so this is why we have asked players to re-submit these. Additionally, we would like images and videos from the current title update, as this is the updated system the development team are using during their testing. Until the development team are provided with these further specific details to help them analyse the potential cause of the issue, they are unable to plan for a fix.

If you would like to resubmit your system files, as well images that show your current graphical settings in-game and your CPU and GPU usage whilst running the benchmark, please do let us know so we can pass this information to the developers.

@The_Devils_Son - Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention. I've shared this with the rest of the Player Support team, and we're going to take a closer look at it as soon as we are able to. I've read the discussion between you and @longjohn119, and I'd just like to confirm if crashes do in fact link up to your autosaves?

If you haven't already, please can you share this information in the thread you have linked, so we can take a closer look at it there. In particular, please include the information about what you've found in your launcher log, as well as the troubleshooting you've tried. This will help us to keep all the information in the same place for further investigation. As this thread is about FPS drops and low CPU/GPU utilisation, I'd like to refrain from going too off-topic about the crashes that are being experienced in-game.

Thank you ūüėä

Official Response
  • longjohn119
    478 posts
    @longjohn119 Yep my recent autosave is exact time the crash happens and the launcher log shows the same stuff I posted below and has 4 new disconnects with said new timestamps. So this autosave system is accessing something it should not?

It may be accessing corrupted data, a part of VRAM it shouldn't or something in the TCP/IP stack in the game/Connect App is crashing and then in turn crashing the Graphics Driver

nvlddmkm.sys crashing may be just the symptom but not the cause of the problem. Something borked in the save code is likely the cause and as I have been saying for months now a problem in the save code that has been there since Day One is also responsible for most of the Bugs in the Known Issues list where you can't complete Quests/Events because it's not properly writing these event completion flags to the save files ..... A save file is really just a database of started events, completed events, inventory, armor sets and perks, etc. and if any of that data isn't written to the save file or gets corrupted then you have problems .... The way AC games are set up is they almost always do an autosave whenever you complete a milestone/event but if it crashes or the event completion doesn't get written to the Save File then you get stuck in a Quest

• Gilles17000
    2 posts

Dear All,

Since MAJ 1.1.0 I had the same problem as you all.
    CPU spiking, FPS drop every 15 secondes from 50 to 9 fps => impossible to play the game.
    And worst, it was affecting all ubisfot games, not just AC (ghost recon, AC odyssey, ...) but no impact on other games such as Hitman 3 or RDR 2.
    I opened a ticket but at the end nothing Ubi proposed could fix the problem.

Last week I remembered something strange. When Ubi was using Uplay, everytime I wanted to launch my ubisoft games, the launcher needed to be updated, therefore I was loosing few minutes before each launch.
    BUT, since Ubi is using Ubisoft connect, I never EVER had an update of the launcher.
    Therefore I went on the ubisoft connect website, downloaded the launcher, installed it without deleting the current install and now ... NO PROBLEMS ANYMORE !
    no CPU spike, no fps drop, ... I can play my games again ūüôā

So just wanted to share that ūüėČ

Have a nice day all.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics