Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UNSOLVED [PC] After TU 1.1.0, I am experiencing FPS drops / low CPU and GPU utilisation | POST HERE

64 Likes/1284 Replies/41411 Views
    Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1559 posts

Hello @krogululus,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Can you please provide us with more details including your full PC specs, your in-game graphics settings, and a short video of the occurrence showing your FPS test, so we can have a look?

Many thanks and if you have any additional questions, please let us know!

Official Response
  • RitzPaul94
    35 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • niceriot55
    2 posts

Hiiiiii all of ya.
    Im reading this thread since the very beginning. After 2 months without any fix i decided to stop hoping for a miracle, which is ubisoft dev team fixing this issue, and decided to buy in this year brand new pc components. Yesterday i bought new cpu (ryzen 7 3700x) and 16gb ram 3200mhz + rtx 2060 from old pc. I was so happy to play valhalla since literally most of low cpu utilization reports comes from gamers with intel configurations.
    Anf of-[censored]-coursce, ive attached screenshoot of my cpu utilization on new configuration
    undefined
    Come on ubi, this issue lasts so far for 10 months and it affects not only old intel configurations but also those based on amd cpu's. My disappointment over u is immesurable. Maybe i can play in 60+ fps but i still suffer stutters which are [censored] me off as hell. Guess sooner we will receive statement of stopping the game support rather than fix.
    Cya guys, may the fix be with you!

• longjohn119
    713 posts

@niceriot55 Under 50% CPU ** average** usage on a 3700x is perfectly normal ..... It's essentially the same you see in Odyssey and Origins .... If you were running a 4 core 4 thread CPU then you'd have a problem but with 8 cores and 16 threads that's normal because this game engine is more GPU bound than CPU bound unless you have less than 6 cores .... If you dig deeper and show CPU usage on all cores and threads you will see some going over 60% but your average will still show less than 50% because it's an average .... Not all your cores are going to go to high usage at the same time because that's just not how multithreading works .... It works by spreading the workload across all cores with a couple doing the heaviest lifting (Usually the scripting/physics)

Yes the game has problems but it's not with CPU usage on a 3700x ..... Turn Volumetric clouds down to high or maybe even medium on a 2060 (It's a main cause of hitching) and turn off Depth of Field which seems to be messed up in this game and causes me a 20-30 FPS drop in cut scenes from 67-70 FPS down to 44-46 FPS

• niceriot55
    2 posts

@longjohn119
    I tried every possible graphic setting, worth mentioning that i always turn off volumetric effects as well as depth of field (bc i hate it). There were moments when i had cpu usage of 10% which caused fps drops by even 40.
    There is huge permormance problem with this game which simply takes fun of it and sometimes makes it unable to play it. My main point is that they didnt even bother to do anything with it which is sad because thats a great game

• satsworld
    9 posts

@ubi-mark I am going to link digital foundry's analysis and comparison video here in the mean-time and you can take a look here to get the general idea.

To sum up the complaints we PC users have I am going to list them here, so you can have a heads up before diving in the video.

1. Resolution restrictions on PC. Using the DRS (antialiasing) we are restricted to 1836p compared to 1440p on PS5. HUGE gap in gpu horsepower requirements at near(lower than) PS5 settings (derived in the video linked above).
    2. Lack of an ultra clutter option that is by default used in PS5. (mentioned in the video)
    3. 30 FPS lock locks to 31 FPS resulting in a juddery gameplay on a 60hz panel.
    4. cutscene camera stutters. (mentioned in the video)
  • maybemawie
    4 posts

@ubi-mark @ubi-mark 1920x1080p resolution, Ryzen 3700X, GTX 1660 super, 32GB RAM, all settings on high except clutter on very high and water on medium. Still not getting nearly the performance I would get from Odyssey. Website won't let me put a video but it drops to sub-30 FPS in places like Besuncen Tor underground which is not acceptable for any game in 2021. FPS is also worst in norway.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1183 posts

@petek - Thank you for submitting the requested files. I can see that a colleague provided you with specific troubleshooting steps to try in your support case based on the files received. If once you have tried all of the recommended troubleshooting your performance in-game is still below what you would expect, upload fresh copies of each of the files to your case and we'll get these sent over the development team for further analysis. As a quick heads-up as well, cases will automatically close after four days of inactivity on your end, but this doesn't mean that the issues concerned are not still being looked into. We're available here on the forums if you need an update, and you can request one in your case as well. Thanks! 🙂

@longjohn119 - Thank you for these links; I've opened them separately and will take a look into them as soon as possible. It's also appreciated that you have taken the time to reply to other players and try to help them out! 🙂

@niceriot55 - I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing performance issues on your new build. Can you please clarify for me whether you have performed our PC troubleshooting, in particular ensuring that no background applications or programs are running which could be interfering? Can you let me know as well what sorts of differences you've noticed between the two builds that you've tried, and the full system specs of each? Finally, we'd appreciate it if you could submit your MSINFO, DXDIAG and Ubisoft Connect logs to us for us to review in a support case or via Live Chat. We can then do our best to assist you further there, and look further into your specific situation. Thanks!

@maybemawie - Hey there! I merged your thread with our existing thread discussing FPS and CPU/GPU utilisation issues since TU 1.1.0, as it was discussing a very similar topic. For the video requested, could you upload it to a sharing site such as YouTube, Dropbox or Google Drive and then provide a link here in the thread so that we can take a look? Please make sure that we can access the video or file via your link! Thank you.

@satsworld - Thank you for providing this comparison video created by Digital Foundry, and for summarising the complaints that you have. Would you also be able to list your PC specs, the typical performance you're seeing, and also provide a video demonstrating the issues in-game?

Official Response
  • petek
    72 posts

@ubi-woofer Hi When I'm back at my PC I will try the steps. Worth mentioning however that all these (background processes etc...) were all running before this patch and all subsequent impacted so horrendously on performance.

• Aj23david
    1 posts

Hi. Is this Already fixed? I can't play this game on my PC properly due to bad performance. Even on 720p lowest settings. I can't seem to hit Constant 60 fps. Highest I got on CPU Usage is 50% and GPU is 65%. I am currently playing this on my PS4 Pro and already at 15 hours but I can't bear sometimes the slow loading time and fast travel time other than that the gameplay performance is better than my PC. I would like to buy a PS5 to play it there but I do not want to buy right now due to Scalpers. I have a Video of the Benchmark if you'd like to see.

Tried and Tested other games too like AC Origins and Horizon Zero Dawn but the CPU and GPU Usage is Normal so I think the hardware is not at fault. Lesson Learned. Don't ever buy any games at Ubisoft again.

PC Specs

CPU: I7-8700k @ Stock. Turbo Boost Enabled
    GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
    Ram: (8x4) 32 GB XMP @ 3200 MHz
    PSU: Corsair TX750M 750 Watts

• petek
    72 posts

@aj23david It's definitely not fixed mate. See my comment below - whatever they changed in patch TU 1.1.0 and all subsequent ones has destroyed performance and therefor enjoyment of this game for me - I can actually get single digit FPS in the bloody loading window.... absolutely appalling..... no Year 2 pass money being wasted by me ....

• longjohn119
    713 posts

@aj23david I'd say your problem is really GPU utilization, it should be 95% or better .... I don't know why but it seems to be a problem with Intel CPUs. With a 2080 Super and a 3700x I'm getting 67 FPS average @ 1440p and seldom drop below 60. My problem is it CTDs with no warning at all, it just shuts down and leaves no crash logs even in the Windows Event viewer. It freezes for a second and then dies. Only on the first crash did it freeze and not shut down and I still had CPU utilization but GPU dropped to zero and I dumped all the video memory which leads me to believe it's a GPU memory transfer problem, likely something not right with the DX12 API. This is the first time they used DX12 with this game engine and it's just broken and what sets it apart from Origins and Odyssey which run fine is they are DX11 and this is DX12 .... Occam's Razor and Troubleshooting 101 tells me it's a DX12 problem or more specifically a problem with the way Ubisoft has implemented DX12 in this game

• Snt.Grem
    34 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • VEGASENTER
    2 posts

Lmao. Got this issue back in january, was hoping two months straight for any improvements, but no luck. Updated my rig later on and finally got OK utilization.
    Still come back here to check how things are going on... Ubisoft, ubisoft never changes

• satsworld
    9 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1559 posts

Hello @aj23david,

Thank you for the update and I'm really sorry to hear about your experience.

Can you please confirm if you performed the troubleshooting steps provided by @Ubi-Woofer in the previous post, by any chance? If so, can you please provide us with your diagnostic files, so our team can investigate it further for you?

Many thanks and if you have any additional questions, please let us know!

Official Response
  • satsworld
    9 posts

@ubi-woofer I think everything you need to know is in the DF video I posted above. Still I am going to post my benchmarks for different cases here so you can spot the resolution requirements for this game on pc at 4k. My descriptions of the images will be below the images respectively so keep that in mind.

This is at 4K with 60 fps adaptive antialiasing setting dropping internal resolution to 1836p only.

This is at 0.8 res scale at 4k so the internal resolution matches with the PS5's internal resolution. However as the TAA doesn't upscale the image to 4k and only upscales the image to 80% of 4k. The final image is significantly blurrier than the ps5 image. (yes I also own a ps5 copy.)

Now this is the game rendering at 1440p with high antialiasing, so internally at 1440p as well, no dynamic resolution here.

Now this is the game running at 4k with in game 30 fps lock and vsync on. Notice the RTSS stats on the top left corner how the game locks to 31 fps instead of 30 fps. Doesn't really look smooth on a 60hz panel.

I hope you understand now that the main performance hog is the internal lock to 0.85 resolution scale (or 1836p at 4k) at low antialiasing setting instead of the 1440p lowest internal resolution at PS5.

You can look at the DF video to understand the lack of Ultra clutter option on PC.

If you need a video proof the DF video is right there.

I don't know how else or how more elaborately I can explain this simple topic to you and other ubi members on this forum. Let's see if you guys can fix this on PC in the foreseeable future.

I swear us PC players are not entitled pricks. But at least we want parity with the next gen consoles as a desktop even with a 500$ gpu costs a lot more than a next gen console in these days of chip shortages.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3861 posts

Thank you for providing us with some additional information about your performance issues and your own system specifications, @satsworld, and for including images of these. I've now forwarded your report, alongside the DF video you shared earlier in the thread, to the development team so they can take a closer look at these as part of the ongoing investigation.

If we require any additional information regarding your report, we will reach out to you within this thread.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • T1GFX
    39 posts

The dev team had an entire year to fix CPU utilization bug BUT guess what - they did NOTHING and it's also happening in Far Cry 6!!!
    https://www.dsogaming.com/news/far-cry-6-suffers-from-major-cpu-single-threaded-issues/

ANOTHER QUALITY PORT FROM THE UBISOFT KIEV TEAM. WE VALUE PC GAMERS.

"Nick, who is currently reviewing the game, also encountered major CPU performance issues on his system. And while he is using an older Intel CPU (Intel Core i7 3930K), his CPU utilization was averaging around 40%."

I was very shocked to see only 40% CPU utilization and even only 60% GPU utilization and I don’t think it has ever gone over this so far… I guess that explains why the FPS is so low…my hardware isn’t be utilized like it should be.”

=====

"Now as you can see [...], one CPU thread/core is being maxed out constantly. While the game can use some additional threads, it relies heavily on one single thread. What this basically means is that you will encounter major performance issues, even on high-end PC systems."

"Due to these single-threaded issues, we were bottlenecked by our CPU at both 1080p/Ultra and 1440p/Ultra." (RTX 3080, i9-9900K)

=====

AMD and the Ubisoft Kiev team are singlehandedly destroying the PC ports since WD: Legion's release.

• satsworld
    9 posts

@ubi-borealis Well. We got a title updare today and the game still renders at an internal lock of 1836p minimum at 4k. Any news from the dev team?

Oh and also a bunch of crashes!

Suggested Topics