Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • guvenerturk
    13 posts

@dead213end this is not working for me

• peterlaub
    Original poster 61 posts

I am getting Tired!

I triede Clean boot.
    I triede going Offline,
    I Triede Reinstalling the game twice.
    All graphic setting. And so on, and so on.........

I also keep spamming Ubisoft customer service with my Ticket, and MSinfo and Dxdiag.

I will soon resolve to Poetry again!!!

Sincerly the Old, tired Danish Viking!

• RebelOfWar
    8 posts

@zarael1721 It's evident that it's screwed-up optimization on their end, simply by comparing other recent graphically demanding games to Valhalla. Like I said, RDR2 I can run smoothly with ultra textures, which look more detailed, cost a bit over 3GB VRAM at 1080p whereas Valhalla's high textures cost a bit under 6GB of VRAM at 900p. God help you if you drop those on medium, environment will look like PS3 era while still costing more VRAM than RDR2's ultra. Even simpletons can tell that something scammy or mishandled is going on here.

Another funny thing> First session I start on Valhalla always shows a low CPU usage (about 40%), try exiting on menu (don't close the game) and loading the very same save. My CPU usage magically goes up by 20 ~ 30% (50 - 80%) and the framerate is smooth until a random action like I mentioned (mostly fast travelling), which gradually worsens my performance to a crawl again. Some say it's connected to Cloud Saving, because online automatically interferes with the game and it autosaves to the cloud every now and then, destroying the application's memory management. Sadly turning off cloud services doesn't solve this, it only toggles the in-game overlay off and if my theory is correct... that will not help at all. Support themselves told me that auto-cloud saving is built-into the game so there's no way of turning it off...

I've waited 4 months and spent far more time trying to fix my game and reporting issues to support. I don't play anymore because I just can't enjoy the game. I feel guilty for convincing others to buy it when the hype was still on and that I ruined a possibly great experience by not having top of the line hardware before buying this. If they won't appreciate the time we waste trying to help them sell better, then I don't know what else we can do.

• Yesin069
    547 posts

@rebelofwar

I have the exact same feelings as you mate...

In RDR2 i had to put many things on High but than i had smooth 60 fps (mostly around 75) all the time. In Valhalla my fps dips under 50 when i go to Fornburg. This shouldn'T be the most area in the game and i can'r understand why the hell this happens. I also really have zero hope that Ubisoft is able to fix it or even cares. They clearly changed something in patch 1.1.0 and aren't able to change it back. Even if their patches added nothing significant to the game.

• longjohn119
    484 posts
    I've been posting to customer support about this problem, either being a vram leakage or CPU utilization drop since LAUNCH. I re-open my ticket now and then trying to remind Ubisoft that too many people on PC have similar issues and it's not just our machine's mismanagement. I've provided any proof that you'd want, images from benchmarks, gameplay, dxdiag and msinfo files, the fact that I've updated everything and made sure that my PC is too clean of process crap to have something like this happen. The fact that other games in higher settings (RDR2) and noticeably far more beautiful visuals run twice as good... Nothing. All they've been coming back to me with is that they are apparently working on it and every now and then they want to remind me to update my drivers... They are not listening my friends. I've tried, I went beyond any effort that one should put into helping them fix this, they are just pretending to listen.

The conclusion I've come into is this: They purposely handicapped the performance on PC in order to give us the illusion that our hardware is just not good enough anymore, hence making us buy newer hardware. Others have done this in the past, as shady as it sounds I just can't believe otherwise at this point. There is no way that so many people report the same problems and 4 months after release you still haven't fixed your product accordingly. There is no way that my machine handles the game at a steady 60 fps and after random events in the game suddenly CPU usage drops and performance is halved along with spontaneous stuttering. The 3 other people I know irl have the very same issues, with more than powerful rigs to run the game than me so there's that too.

They. Are. Not. Listening.

Even Odyssey runs 100% better ..... I have everything cranked up except Depth of Field which I have off because I don't like it and I'm getting 70+ FPS average @ 1440p .... However my CPU usage is in the 30's most of the time with rare spikes to 60-70% mainly in some cutscenes ..... I'm 38 hours into a playthrough, all of it recorded and I haven't had one single crash and only one minor bug that was more hilarious than game breaking .... I think there is more going on here than just low CPU usage unless you have a potato

• Radi3nt
    16 posts

Hi friends,

Today I launched Valhalla after a week or two of getting tired of the FPS problem. It was still there.
    Then I decided to check out the BIOS just for the shake of it, and realized that my Hyperthreading option was set to [Disable].
    I turned it on and FPS in Jorvik shot straight from 20-30 FPS to constant 60-70 FPS now. Maybe this was the problem.
    Have a try and report back.

Spec:
    i7-6700K 4.00 Ghz
    RTX 2070S
    8GB RAM

• Yesin069
    547 posts

@radi3nt

This seems to be very specific. I don't think many people here have disabled Hyperthreading. This would make running newer DX12 and Vulkan titles a lot harder and would make all those modern games run worse.

I can run all games fine with some setting tweaks but Valhalla should have no dips at all. It really isn't that great looking and hasn't that many NPC's walking around that a CPU would be hit that hard. I know everything is seamles and so on but i can just repeat myself: RDR2 ran with over 60 fps sothere is no excuse for Valhalla to run worse.

I really hope Ubisoft finally does something about this in the next update...

• longjohn119
    484 posts

@yesin069

True but it could indicate that Valhalla isn't always using Hyperthreading/SMT correctly ..... This game engine has had problems with SMT in the past for instance when they introduced the Animus Control Panel in Origins it broke SMT in all Ryzen processors and if you didn't turn it off in the BIOS you'd had constant crashes and as usually it took 6 weeks for Ubisoft to fix it .... For me shortly after it started giving problems I was fighting that fantasy snake and it crashed and every time I'd try to play it would crash before I could beat it so I was trapped in sequence and since they disable menu access in it there was no way out except start a new game from scratch .... One thing I'll say I did that snake so many times just trying to get through it before I crashed that when they did fix the SMT problem I kicked that snake's butt in no short order ...... I had it's every move memorized

Odyssey had a 6 week stretch too where it caused crashes on Ryzen CPUs unless you turned off SMT which I refuse to do because it nerfs my computer for all the other apps where I need it (Video rending and conversion, rendering and routing PCBs, even building large schematics and electronics simulations) It wasn't as bad as the Origins problem but it still was annoying and caused a lot of crashing

• Yesin069
    547 posts

@longjohn119

I had problems with every AC on PC to be honest. This is why i always wait many months before i start playing Ubisoft games in general (on PC).

Even for Valhalla i waited a little bit but because of the lockdown i started earlier. And now i know more than ever, why i always wait for playing Ubisoft games. The big Triple-A Ubisoft games always get bad PC ports and they just start fixing those problems after they finished their roadmaps.

Just Watch Dogs: Legion gets some extra care on PC. Maybe because of RTX and DLSS and those NVIDIA deals. Valhalla seems to get nothing. I even don't know why they insisted on using DX12 in Valhalla. I think it would run better in DX11 because Odyssey ran much better and didnt look that worse. Valhalla doesn't use any DX12 benefits, so they should give us the oprion to choose DX11. I found nothing in the .ini to change to dx11 sadly...

• Radi3nt
    16 posts

The thing is my PC had always had Hyper-threading off judging from what I found in the BIOS, and the game was running fine then. This means they changed something in the update that required Hyper-threading in my case to be on.
    Anyway, game has been stable since then spare one instance where the FPS dropped back to 30 FPS in Jorvik, but I just alt-tabbed out then in again and if was back to normal.

• dodokjv
    21 posts

So 1.1.2 is announced and all they mentioned is "improved performance and stability", therefore i expect [censored] to run even worse.

• Yesin069
    547 posts

@dodokjv

This point is copy and pasted into every patch notes. Don't expect that they touched performance on PC at all. It will run the same or even worse but never ever will it be better.

• longjohn119
    484 posts

@yesin069

That's because the PC port is made by an outside group rather than Montreal or Quebec ..... Then Montreal or Quebec has to do the support on code they didn't write which is just asking for trouble .... That really became apparent with the Fate of Atlantis DLC where it wouldn't work on a RX 5700 for over 6 months because no one at the Quebec studio could figure it out because they didn't write the code ..... I wouldn't be surprised to see the same issues with Valhalla DLCs because those are done by an outside studio

HZD had the same problem, Sony cheaped out and had a 3rd party do the port and they just used some sort of program that automatically did the conversions which is OK as a starting point but you still have to go through and manually tweak the code ..... After release support was turned back over to Guerilla and it took 2 months of weekly patches to knock out 90% of the bugs ..... Kudos to Guerilla for sticking with it and constantly releasing patches because when I played it in December it was nearly flawless and ran smooth as butter with everything cranked up to max

• Oresp94
    13 posts

Hello friends,I am still looking for a solution to this low gpu usage problem as I am waiting for the patch.I don't know if this helps at all but ever since the issue started on the 15 of December(1.1.0) I noticed that every time I load my manual save it is raining.Like each and every time.I know this might seem irrelevant but,at this point I don't know what's important so I figured I would share this in case someone smarter than me can figure a connection out.Also,I noticed a great amount of ram beeing used even in the intro scenes.So this in connection with the continuous rain effect might be connected somehow?I really have tried everything to make this game playable so at this point I am stating possibly irrelevant stuff.Anyway,let's hope the iminent update resolves this issue(which I don't believe,but let's hope for a miracle).One last thing,please if anyone from Ubisoft sees this,just update us on the issue.Even if it is not looked at atm just inform us.We need an update after all this time or at least some clossure.

• Yesin069
    547 posts

@longjohn119

Ubisoft Kiev always does the PC ports for AC and Ubisoft should really rethink this. Every AC port had problems and i never was able to say "Ok, this port runs fine on my current PC!". I always needed some PC upgrade to be able to say that.

This is also why every AC patch just has those minor PC specific fixes. They just fix Ubisoft Connect achievements on PC for which i cannot care less. They are simple not able to go deeper into the PC files because it seems like after the game is released Ubisoft Kiev immediately shifts to another project. I dont think that they have anything to do with the patches for Valhalla but they are the only ones who could fix our problems.

Valhalal needs a lot more PC specific fixes in the patch notes. It needs it own topic for fixes (like Watch Dogs_Legion does).

• T1GFX
    32 posts

Ubisoft, go and [censored] yourselves. 1.12.

undefined

undefined

• RyanHalevyX
    10 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • RyanHalevyX
    10 posts

1.1.2 update. Nothing changed. Now what?
    undefined

• longjohn119
    484 posts

@yesin069 Odyssey had problems with the PC ports too, I swear every other 6 week update I'd have to shuffle through Nvidia driver version until I found one that was stable ..... I bought a GTX 1660 Ti when it released and a couple weeks later a new update comes out and broke the drivers and it would crash all the time .... I had to hack an older set of drivers to get them to install on a 1660 which is something I hadn't had to do since Nvidia went to the unified drivers around 2006 if I remember right ..... Basically I had to hack a couple of the installation files so they would "white list" the 1660 and as I suspected the code was already there for the 1660 but it just wasn't in the white list because it hadn't released yet ..... The game finally stablized mid 2019 so just before Thanksgiving I get a deal on a RX 5700 which I flashed with an XT BIOS and a couple of week later I went to do the Atlantis DLC and it would crash on the oipening scene and it remained like that until February or March of 2020 .... For the early adopters of the RX 5700 FoA was broken from July 2019 to early 2020

Now Odyssey runs flawlessly now that everyone has moved on ...... I hope I don't have to wait until mid-2022 for Valhalla to reach the same level of stability .... Releasing the DLCs in one part instead of 3 should make things better because everytime they added a new DLC part something would get broken like the horse wobbling unless you went full gallop for 12 weeks or the Elemental Resistance engravings broken for 12 weeks or the CRIT chance engravings broken for 6 weeks so even wimpy Athenian archers could one shot kill you ..... There are many more those are just the ones off the top of my head .... I think when the next AC game releases I'll just wait a year and buy it on sale and save myself the aggravation ..... At least I got Valhalla as part of a deal on my R7 3700X which for me was worth the price even without the game thrown in .....

• guvenerturk
    13 posts

thanks ubisoft, not buying anything from you from now on...

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics