Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• UNSOLVED [PC] After TU 1.1.0, I am experiencing FPS drops / low CPU and GPU utilisation | POST HERE

64 Likes/1290 Replies/41790 Views
    Ryusennin
    97 posts

This Windows 10 patch is a hotfix for a longstanding vsync bug which affected a few games since another Win10 patch was deployed in February. Games like Yakuza 2 were heavily affected by random stuttering because of this patch.

I don't think Valhalla was specifically concerned, since the CPU issue was reported way back in December.

• RitzPaul94
    35 posts

After installing the latest windows 10 update I am getting stuttering and low fps in all the games wd legion, gr breakpont.

• DarthChungus47
    1 posts

Nope didn't solve the fps drop problem.
    My specs gtx 1060 3gb
    Ryzen 3500
    16 gb

• longjohn119
    723 posts
    @voidolt Yea right, but main problem aint solved.U do not have stuttering which could have been due to update but low cpu and gpu utilization couldn't which is the main problem here.

@longjohn119 Like I said it wont solve problem of low cpu and gpu utilization.

Low FPS is caused by the improper implementation of the DX12 Ultimate API ..... This game engine was written for DX11 and doesn't handle RAM or CPU utilization correctly in DX12 ... That would take a core rewrite which they obviously didn't do and it far too late to do now ..... This game engine is End of Life

• BigBad-Punisher
    5 posts

@ubikobold You've heard the folks. We paid for a game that has 0% feedback on this issue.

Check your API optimization. it's horrible. This game not optimized for DX12. Add at least Vulkan API

Or create money back channels so people who can't "enjoy" the game have a chance to get their money back.
    You just stole money from us and gave us a piece ^ $% * & #

With best Regards
    Angry community

• CrimsonWolf-YT
    40 posts

@longjohn119 I think that hyperthreading has a role in it too, like one guy explained it in comment way down below with the list of affected cpus.
    My friend doesn't have any issue after 1.1.0 patch he has some i7 with hyper threading. But mine is affected cuz it doesn't have.

• Voidolt
    32 posts

@ubi-mark Spent 15 hours so far and tbh I remember a lot that i had average 60 fps before and now im never getting 60 fps anymore.
    Anyways I hope you will bring DirectX11, this is what i am waiting for after they fixed FPS drops to 10fps for me.
    (Still won't buy Season Pass 1 and 2 or any Ubisoft games)
    So please Ubisoft focus on DirectX fix now 🙂

• longjohn119
    723 posts

@crimsonwolf-yt

Hyperthreading is controlled by DX12 directly where in DX11 the chipset drivers did all the heavy lifting but didn't do it very well because DX11 wasn't designed to handle more than 4 cores/4 threads ..... It could do more than 4 but not very efficiently .... For instance in Skyrim SE nearly everything runs on one core so even though my overall CPU utilization show only 10-15% that one core which runs the Papyrus Scripting Engine can easily get overloaded (A runaway or race condition) causing the framerates to tank and even cause a CTD. Also the shader pipelines are completely different in the two APIs with DX12 being more advanced in that you can do several in parallel whereas DX11 basically one function could hold everything up limiting the ultimate framerate. This explains it better than I can:

"In DirectX 11, the objects in the GPU pipeline exist across a wide range of states such as Vertex Shader, Hull Shader, Geometry shader, etc. These states are often interdependent on one another and the next successive one can’t progress unless the previous stage is defined. When the geometry from a scene is sent to the GPU for rendering, the resources and hardware required can vary depending on the rasterizer state, blend state, depth stencil state, culling, etc.

Each of the objects in DirectX 11 needs to be defined individually (at runtime) and the next state can’t be executed until the previous one has been finalized as they require different hardware units (shaders vs ROPs, TMUs, etc). This effectively leaves the hardware under-utilized resulting in increased overhead and reduced draw calls.

DirectX 12 replaces the various states with Pipeline State Objects (PSO) which are finalized upon creation itself. A PSO in simple words is an object that describes the state of the draw call it represents. An application can create as many PSOs as required and can switch between them as needed. These PSOs include the bytecode for all shaders including, vertex, pixel, domain, hull, and geometry shader and can be converted into any state as per requirement without depending on any other object or state.

NVIDIA and AMD’s latest GPUs, with the help of DirectX 12 introduce Task Shaders and Mesh Shaders. These two new shaders replace the various cumbersome shader stages involved in the DX11 pipeline for a more flexible approach."

This explains some of the differences in CPU core/thread utilization:

One of the core advantages of low-level APIs like DirectX 12 and Vulkan is improved CPU utilization. Traditionally with DirectX 9 and 11 based games, most games only used 2-4 cores for the various mechanics: Physics, AI, draw-calls, etc. Some games were even limited to one. With DirectX 12 that has changed. The load is more evenly distributed across all cores, making multi-core CPUs more relevant for gamers.

Closer to Metal Support

Another major advantage of DirectX 12 is that developers have more control over how their game utilizes the hardware. Earlier this was more abstract and was mostly taken care of by the drivers and the API (although some engines like Frostbyte and Unreal provided low-level tools as well).

Now the task falls to the developers. They have closer to metal access, meaning that most of the rendering responsibilities and resource allocation are handled by the game engines with some help from the graphics drivers. This is a double-edged sword as there are multiple GPU architectures out in the wild and for indie devs, it’s impossible to optimize their game for all of them. Luckily, third-party engines like Unreal, CryEngine, and Unity do this for them and they only have to focus on designing.

You can find the entire article here at Hardware Times

Also at Microsoft's Windows Developer website

• CrimsonWolf-YT
    40 posts

@longjohn119 Thank you for better explanation!! 😄

• CrimsonWolf-YT
    40 posts

Any new info?

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 628 posts

Hey there guys!

It's great to see there's been some handy and informative information being shared here!

If anyone is currently still experiencing below- normal performance in-game following any recent updates, could you please first ensure you've given the steps in our PC troubleshooting guide a try, as these are a good first step.

Should the frame drops and sub-par performance then continue, could you please create a ticket on our Support Site and attach your DxDiag and MSinfo system files;
    DxDiag
    MSinfo

This will allow us to see more information relating to your specific system, provide additional steps and contain necessary information should we need to discuss this further with the team.

Thank you!

Official Response
  • petek
    72 posts

@ubi-theberry Sorry mate but I'm guessing we're all still having the same problem and are probably sick to death of posting dxdiag etc... Please see he last ones I posted. Submitted July 22 5066513 ticket submitted with requested info. This really is shocking. Seriously Ubisoft are going to try and get people to buy EXP3 and DLC for next year and nothing has been done to fix this for PC users - I know PC players are a minority but it's a minority that will not be wasting money on Year 2 of this game. So much potential wasted.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 628 posts

Hey @petek,

Thank you for getting back to us and sharing your Case Number.

I can see that further PC troubleshooting steps were provided as part of the investigation to allow us to ensure all other local avenues have been exhausted when raising this to the team.

Could you please ensure you've given these further steps a try and either let us know here, or you're more than welcome to re-open your case by responding to it with the outcome of those steps.

Likewise if anyone else has an already ongoing case, feel free to share your Case IDs so we can take a look!

Official Response
  • petek
    72 posts

@ubi-theberry yep did all the trouble shooting steps..... thanks

• Snt.Grem
    34 posts

God ... what kind of clowns they are, they still come here and ask to send us useless dxdiag and msinfo that no one reads. And none of these idiots for 9 months did not admit that the problem is not in our systems at all, but in their update curves starting from version 1.1.0. Well, I hope karma will overtake each of these crooks.

• geewhizzard
    1 posts

One month ago I had 60 fps now after this last update I drop down to 45 fps at times. I don't know what to do and it seems to happen on all settings qualities. This game feels unplayable now due to the unstable framerate.

i7 7700k
    RTX 2070 ti 8GB
    16 gb ram

• RitzPaul94
    35 posts

Best devs ever thanks for adding all the new features ubisoft like low fps , bugs etc and now the most recent one ctd evry 5 mins you guys are great. Thanks Ubisoft

• Ubi-Viral
    Ubisoft Support Staff 678 posts
    One month ago I had 60 fps now after this last update I drop down to 45 fps at times. I don't know what to do and it seems to happen on all settings qualities. This game feels unplayable now due to the unstable framerate.

i7 7700k
    RTX 2070 ti 8GB
    16 gb ram

Sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this issue. Did you submit your system files to us yet in a support case?

Official Response
  • Turtlecubs
    6 posts

I'm not sure if it's the latest windows update that did it for me or if it's that 3rd party optimization someone posted in this thread recently... but my game now works.

I can confirm that I had the exact same issue before- after fast traveling my fps would drop from 60 to 30. I just played it for 2-3 hours last night and the frames were consistant near 60 I believe it's been fixed for me, although I'm not sure if it's the windows update or the 3rd party file I put into my gamesfolder.

I hope everyone here can find a solution, I will continue to enjoy the campaign until the end but I still would never purchase an ubisoft product again in my life.

• Voidolt
    32 posts

@turtlecubs Same for me. And yes the latest windows update fixed the problem for Valhalla and some games. Now finally enjoy the game 😛

Suggested Topics