ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ADarklore
    Original poster 194 posts

So is anyone else irritated that we have wealth locations on the map- but many of them are locked behind a quest progression?!? I'm the type of person who prefers to explore the map before working on MSQ, and I'm finding it extremely irritating that many of these maps locations are behind doors that can only be accessed through a quest progression. If it's on a map, it should be accessible, period! Otherwise, make it part of a quest reward and take it off the map! Besides this, there is no way to tell which ones are quest locked, so you spend all this time trying to find a way to reach the wealth objective, only to eventually discover that there is no way to access it. I loved Odyssey, because you could roam the map and access any chests at any time- as long as you could sneak past high level enemies. Otherwise, they had gear as part of a quest or defeated enemy reward... they didn't taunt you with map markers only to laugh in your face when you couldn't actually access it.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ThoughtTwenty
    70 posts

@adarklore I personally haven't seen any mission-locked wealth items. Everything has been obtainable by going back afterwards.

Powerpyx seems to confirm this:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla All Wealth Locations Guide (powerpyx.com): (https://www.powerpyx.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-all-wealth-locations-guide/)

"As of Patch 2.00 there are no longer any missable Collectibles. Make sure you have updated the game. Prior to Patch 2.00 there used to be 2 missables (Wealth #12 & Wealth #13 in Jotunheim) – this has since been fixed. You can still return to all maps and collect everything after the story but it’s recommended to grab everything as you go through the regions to help you level up. Keep a manual save from the start of each region, in case something is bugged you have a way back."

• ADarklore

@thoughttwenty They aren't 'missable' if you progress the associated quest. However, if you go to some locations, castles, etc... you cannot access the rooms that certain wealth items (gear) is located because you gain access to the room during a quest. However, they are noted on your map as a gold icon, so if you follow the gold icons... you find yourself in a place (such as a castle)... that you cannot access until you do the associated quest for that location.

• ThoughtTwenty
    70 posts

@adarklore Hence me saying you can go back and collect the rest of the loot afterwards. It's sort of understandable that some items you can't get until you "capture" those castles.

There's nothing to say that you have to obtain these items during the missions themselves.

Then again, I typically fully clear a region after the arc is complete.

• ADarklore

@thoughttwenty Exactly... but they should not be MARKED on the map if you cannot access them right away and should be instead considered a quest reward, or only marked when you capture the castle. There was nothing on Odyssey's map that you couldn't access right away, and I find it frustrating that on an 'open world' map with items marked on the map, I cannot access them.

See, you clear the map AFTER an arc is complete, I prefer to clear the map, BEFORE starting the arc. In Odyssey, I was happily over-leveled during MSQ's because I had done so much exploring and map clearing... that with Valhalla, I cannot do the same and it's irritating.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@adarklore They should be marked, just marked differently so you know which ones require the arc quest to be done first.

Overall I don't mind it. Usually not hard to figure out and it adds to exploration. The discovery of something you will get later. Not all doors should open for you just cause you are there.

• ADarklore

@quor321 Sure all the doors should be open if I can get to them; if I am able to get into a high level area by myself, that should count for something... it did in Odyssey. There were many 'high level' areas I was able to get into and loot in Odyssey that made it feel much more rewarding and challenging than just following a quest to receive.

• ADarklore

Yesterday I came across an 'ability' that was also locked behind a quest requirement!! Again, I don't appreciate a supposed 'open world' environment when you are, in fact, locking things behind quest requirements. It's one thing to lock gear, it's another to lock ability (or upgrades) behind a quest... but then place an icon on the map making it appear to be accessible at any time. I go back to my original statement... if you are going to lock something behind a quest, make it a 'quest reward' and remove the icon from the map so people don't think they can access something at any time, when they actually cannot. Or, don't post an icon on the map until AFTER you complete the related quest.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@adarklore It is annoying I will give you that but not uncommon for abilities or loot to be locked behind quests or story, or any kind of extra effort.

I wanted the second level for the fire ability. This can only be achieved by killing enough order members or zealots. I had to hunt down those little hints to find enough. Very satisfying to accomplish.

So it's really a matter of perspective. You can just be a negative Grinch and say it ruins your open world vibe, or it could be a satisfying accomplishment. Your choice.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@adarklore

Hi I agree with you on that. I also like exploring the world and gathering the loot BEFORE I go at the quests. Thats the beauty of 'open world' maps. They are open to exploration. Nothing is locked away. I think some people have trouble understanding that concept 😉

Anyway I myself have hated the fact that nearly every door and chest has been locked for no other reason than to impede the player, the rewards so poor as to make the effort of finding a way into the hut or building, barely worth the effort.

I hope to goodness we never have to deal with this 'locking' everything up, just for the 'bloody sake of it' again.

Suggested Topics