Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• YazX_
    Original poster 170 posts

Before i start, if you are on 3000 series then unfortunately you are out of luck and need to wait for Drivers fix.

Like many of you, i started to get random freezing while music is still on after patch 1.04, and after patch 1.1, it transformed to CTDs (Crash to desktop), so normally i tried all the troubleshooting that i could and nothing worked, i even reset my BIOS to defaults. I soon started to blame the game for this as it started to happen after patch 1.04 and got more frequent after patch 1.1, the only thing i missed is i updated my drivers as soon as they were available. however, after i realized this, i checked event viewer for errors and it was an Nvidia drivers error.

so i rolled back drivers to 457.09, things worked ok for patch 1.04, but after patch 1.1, freezes started to happen again, in September, Nvidia released 3000 series drivers with the support of RTX 3080,this driver had a problem of boosting frequency too much which also made RTX 3080 GPU crash while playing games, Nvidia released a hotfix driver to lower the boost clock for RTX 3000 series, this partially solve the problem but it also screwed GPU boost and OC for older cards, i started to have problem with my OC with this driver, and had to revert my OC to default and yet still hit crashes and freezes.

Long story short, these kind of freezes/crashes are called TDRs (Time out detection and Recovery), checking Geforce Forums, there are plenty of similar issue on other games as well, Nvidia says they are investigating it, it might take a while until they figure out the problem and fix it.

However, i started a new game, and was hit by a freeze after 40 mins, so i decided to revert back to Driver Version 452.06, which happens to be the last driver before 3000 series driver, my OC settings are set back to what it used to be, no TDRs whatsoever during the past week (30-40) hours.

the performance is similar to the game ready optimized driver, didn't notice any difference to be honest, Ubiconnect overlay will show a short timed message about the driver is old and unsupported but it works great without any problems.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Alarick7
    14 posts

@yazx_ Great post. Lots of detail and testing involved. I myself have tried 44x.xx versions and the oldest I could find on Nvidia's site. I still crashed like I normally do post-patch 1.04.
    What's your GPU? Mine is 1660 Super. I'll try 452.06 right now and come back with my findings.

• YazX_

@alarick7 Thanks, my full system Specs:

ASUS ROG X570-Gaming-F MB
    AMD Ryzen 3700X (PBO Enabled)
    G.Skill Royal 16 GB 3600 Mhz (DOCP Enabled in Bios and IF ratio 1:1)
    ASUS ROG 1080 Ti OC (OCed to 1960 Mhz)
    Samsung 970 Evo+ NVME (C: drive)
    8 TBs of HDDs

• Alarick7
    14 posts

@yazx_ Yep I can confirm that mine still crashes. Although this time, it has a "send crash error report" which only happens to me sometimes. It's mostly CTD in my case.

• YazX_

@alarick7 if you got "Send Crash Report" this means a game crash not driver, have you checked event viewer??

• Alarick7
    14 posts

@yazx_ All I got was D3DRED2 and LiveKernelEvent. I don't know which data to look for but those were the errors during the time of crash.

• YazX_

@alarick7 what are your system specs? i will try to help you solve this error as it usually something to do with configurations.

• Alarick7
    14 posts

i5 10400f 2.90 Hz
    1660 Super
    8 GB ram dual channel (1066 MHz)
    2TB SSHD

no OC's whatsoever.

I know it's not the best but it plays Origins and Odyssey great.

• YazX_

@alarick7 the most common cause is RAM timings and voltage, download memTest and make bootable usb, boot from it and let it run tests for 2-3 hours, if there errors then you need to set correct voltage and timings from bios, so try it out and report back.

if there are no errors then it might be just aged hardware and not working properly with DX12, Origins and odyssey are using DX11 not 12

• Alarick7
    14 posts

@yazx_ Hey thanks for your suggestion. I followed as you instructed. Took me 1.5 hours and it came out 100% fine. No errors whatsoever. I gotta say Ubi gotta hire you for support.

• YazX_
    This post is deleted!
  • Alarick7
    14 posts

@YazX_ I'm not sure if my ram is actually 1066 MHz but CPU-Z says so.
    undefinedundefined

• YazX_

@alarick7 Thats good news, your RAM timings and voltage are set properly, your RAM is operating at 2132 Mhz in Dual channel mode, this is normal, 1066 Mhz is single channel, which means if you have your RAM running in single channel mode, you will get 1066, in dual channel 2133 Mhz.

Now, we are sure that your RAM is fine, lets proceed to next steps:

1. Make sure your windows is up to date, check windows update and let it update to latest.
    2. We need to make sure that your windows files are not corrupted, open start, search for "cmd", right click and select "Run as admin", type sfc /scannow, it will take a while to scan and fix any corrupted windows files, make sure you are connected to internet during the process, once done and you restarted your PC, move to next step,
    3. Reinstall Nvidia Drivers, MAKE SURE to check the box "Perform Clean Installation", restart your PC after the installation is done.
    4. Now we need to check if you have faulty video card, download and run Unigine Heaven, run it and select DX12 mode, set other options like resolution and AA, then let it run for straight 2 hours at least, if it didnt crash, then your video card is fine, otherwise it is faulty, once all of these steps are done, report back the result, so we can move to next steps.

• Alarick7
    14 posts

@yazx_ I've done steps 1-3.
    Uniengine Heaven didn't have DX12 for me. Only up to DX11. I instead downloaded the "Superposition" one. It's unspecified which DX it was running but I ran it and it didn't last 2 hours. Maybe 15 minutes but it came out without errors.

• YazX_

@alarick7 great, but 15 mins are not enough, you need to stress your GPU for a longer period as problems appear when the gpu temps and utilization are sustained for long interval.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics