ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Alec_Fortescue
    Original poster 18 posts

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Is Changing Progression And Cutting Down The Grind--Here's How It Will Work - GameSpot

This interview was quite late into the development. According to it the game was supposed to be, somewhat, accommodating to non-lethal approaches but at the end of the day it regressed compared to previous instalments. While I don't want to dwell into more in regards of this, I am extremely bothered by a lack of a very simple non-lethal stealth takedown being available to me in Valhalla. Despite the said quote previous AC games not only provided much more non lethal options (from easily available to tools to takedowns). Valhalla is extremely restricted in that and I don't understand why a simple k/o or choke takedown doesn't exist as a gameplay feature.

In all instalments since AC4 one could simply equip "fists" or an empty weapon slot and take a merciful approach to dealing with unaware enemies. I have greatly enjoyed that fact during side activities and many missions which didn't call for a violent approach. I really liked that I can simply swap from armed to unarmed in Odyssey and Origins with a single button. This is not the case in Valhalla as, even with weapons unequipped, I am still forced to watch Eivor use their hidden blade and murder an unaware foe, effectively robbing them of a glorious death in battle. Tools are also very limited.

While I understand that most people see no point to it in terms of game mechanics as it, at the end of the day, it all serves the same purpose it is the aesthetics and illusion of choice that make all the flavour and immensely add to the enjoyment of the game.

I am pretty sure there are non-lethal takedown animations available in the game. I implore developers to add an option of a non-deadly stealth takedown, at the very least, in a future patch for the sake of role playing and players "distressed" over the fact that assassination is "forced" upon them. ;]

Am I missing something. Does non-lethal "assassination" exist in the game and I am just not triggering it proper? While a feature in previous games it wasn't ever something that players were told about.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• HFLeima
    1 posts

@alec_fortescue The same here! Non-lethal approaches are essential to my gameplay. It was much better at Odyssey

• Carlatus
    1 posts

I agree, it is very frustrating to kill people 100% of the time. I was happy to find the non-lethal bow attack, but it doesn't last long and my victims are always waking up too soon... A non-lethal ability could be a realy nice addition, letting us player feel that we have more control over our actions. Eivor is always speaking about peace but she/he is ready to kill absolutely everyone in a lot of situations that could have easily been handle with less casualties. Sometimes I just want to rob people, or to get an information, and killing to get it feels a bit excessive.

• Garbo3
    780 posts

@carlatus knock them down weapons unequipped, just make sure you dont approach from the back if you are overpowered or will be instant assassination.
    I remember a challenge that was knocking 50 or 100 enemies. You knock them down as I said but obviously will create conflict this way.
    Then if you want the xp you assassinate them once they are on the floor. Up to you. You can spare them if you don't want the xp.

• KidKiedis
    3 posts

@garbo3 That's exactly where the problem is.. it prevents non-lethal stealth which is essential. I seldom choose a female character, but female spy-diplomat for unstable brother is what I've been aiming for.. knowing that role it's absolutely acceptable in Odyssey and Origins gameplay. As a result I've refunded the game 8 hours later when realized there're no non-lethal takedowns.

Please, everybody who reads this. Leave your comments to get non-lethal stealth back!)

• mrsleep0000
    29 posts

'players "distressed" over the fact that assassination is "forced" upon them'

Then I would suggest that playing a game called ASSASSINS Creed is not for them.
    Probably should find something else to play.

Watchdogs might be a better fit.

• KidKiedis
    3 posts
    hen I would suggest that playing a game called ASSASSINS Creed is not for them.

Not a problem. I've refunded the game and I'm fine with that 😎

The case is that requested feature is not something unique. It was in 3 previous parts in case you haven't played them (Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey).

• bielik01
    1804 posts

@kidkiedis there is such option in Valhalla, knock someone unconscious with bare hands.
    Assassinations is what make Assassin's Creed, it's in the name. Non-lethal assassination is an oxymoron, and requesting something like that is what cancel culture would do.

In Origins Bayek would knock enemies unconscious before he got the hidden blade when performing "assassination" action.

• wipoon
    3 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • wipoon
    3 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • wipoon
    3 posts

@bielik01 Assassinations is what make Assassin's Creed, it's in the name. Non-lethal assassination is an oxymoron, and requesting something like that is what cancel culture would do.

It's the Assassin's Creed, not the Butcher's Creed. Assassins have to kill their designated targets, not every guard/soldier in sight. Having an option for non-lethal takedowns against common guards who are just doing their job and in many cases have nothing to do with the Templars or their schemes is a good thing and adds immersion to the experience. Assassins aren't supposed to mass murder for fun, but to kill specific targets with the belief that those assassinations will help making things better, if they could somehow avoid killing an enemy that's not a target, they surely would. In fact, an Assassin that manages not to kill anybody but the target is a better Assassin.

• Kormac67
    1100 posts

@wipoon After the tenth "assassinate 100 soldiers" weekly quest you will stop caring.

• pesto.
    360 posts

I agree. It’s maybe not clear that non-lethal isn’t just the start game, it’s the end game.

When you have mastered all the combat combinations, maxed out level scaling, the last thing you can do to increase difficulty is strip your character down to no armor, no weapons and beat the game that way.

In other games like Nioh the “naked” character build even has skills and attributes, charms etc specifically for the play style to keep it interesting.

Suggested Topics