Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sciophyte.
    Original poster 7 posts

First off, I am by no means some kind of combat ace—at least I don't think I am—for whom recognizing and learning enemy attack patterns is second nature. When I started out with AC:V at Vikingr difficulty, I lost my fair share of battles, and not only with elites. But now that I'm up to the Sciropeshire arc, few encounters seem challenging anymore, not even the Zealots. I don't think I've gotten that "gud," rather, I think that the endless flow of skill points and some nice gear have helped. I'll try the Berserkr setting next, though I hope it won't just be a jarring difficulty hike. In most games, I find the default setting challenging enough. Is it possible that Ubisoft has made theirs a wee bit too easy this time?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@sciophyte This has been discussed in several threads. If you want the game to still be challenging, then don't assign all of your skill points as they are what determines your power in the game. Some have suggested, and I have to agree with them, that it seems Ubisoft was trying to give players more control over how difficult the game would be with this leveling scheme. If you want the game to be fairly easy then apply all of your skill points; if you want it to remain challenging, but not overly difficult then apply fewer of your skill points. If you want it to be extremely challenging and difficult then apply a bare minimum of your skill points.

The only thing difficulty settings seems to do is add additional health and some cases extra mechanics to bosses. I have played on Vikingr and currently am playing on Drengr. There is very little difference in the two difficulties other than the extra mechanics in some of the boss fights.

• Sciophyte.
    Original poster 7 posts

@jcar4327 Excellent advice, thanks!

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

It is the Zealots and leg. animals which are somewhat "broken". Not only are their power levels way higher than that suggested one for the scires, but they also use unblockable attacks which can be really unpredictable. I had to switch to Easy to win.

But at max power, even the common enemies on the Very Hard difficulty are quite manageable.

Like what JCar said, if you want a challenge, assign fewer skill points.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@jcar4327 I am sorry, but what sort of an advice is this? Don't assign skill points? So basically, don't use character progression system? Then what's the point of it at all?

No, the game is poorly balanced and that's something the devs should address somehow. At least, I wish they would, so I can get back to playing it.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@daelosthecat So your suggestion is that the devs should just somehow magically balance the game so that everyone is satisfied, because no matter what changes they make someone will not be on the forums within minutes of the patch to complain about how they screwed up the game.

The idea of using power to give players the ability to balance the game to their own desires is a good idea; however, I understand where you are coming from because it was poorly implemented by tying it to the skill tree. The two systems should have been separate of each other so that you could continue to gain the necessary skills but also choose whether or not to increase your power. If they were able to allow skill points to be allocated without it affecting power and then provide a separate node for increasing power that would probably solve the problem, but as I am not a coder I am not sure if it would be possible for them to change the system at this point. The skill tree and power progression seem to be so integrated that I'm not sure they can be separated.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

@jcar4327

Yup. One way would be to just add a slider for level scaling. Easily done. You want challenge? You scale all the enemies to be your power or higher. Don't want challenge? Don't use it. Everyone's happy.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@daelosthecat Well, there's a suggestion, better than coming in and saying it's broken now somehow magically fix it.

But like I said in my post, I'm not a coder so not sure how difficult it would be for them to add something like that to the game. Or, how much different that would be from the current easy, default, hard, very hard scheme they already have in the game. If they could disconnect the power progression from the skill tree and tie it to a slider then that could work, but that is essentially the same thing I was suggesting. Only difference is you are using a slider where I would be using power points applied, or not applied, to a node to make the adjustment.

I mean technically they may already have a scheme in place to enact this. Simply split the current skill points into two categories: skill and power. Using the new Mastery nodes as power nodes and the skill tree as skill nodes; then players can apply one point to the skill tree and then decide whether or not to apply additional power to one of the three Mastery nodes. That way they gain skills at a slower pace and power at about the pace the game actually already has in place with the suggested power for each region.

But again, not a coder so not sure how difficult it would be to split points or add a slider.

• ADarklore
    175 posts

Well... they could alter the difficulty settings that they already have... ramping up the difficulty even higher on the max difficulty while keeping it the same for the others. I didn't agree with the level scaling they added, because for some people, especially those with disabilities, need to be several levels over opponents (particularly zealots and legendary animals) in order to beat them. I play on easy mode, because I love being OP, and I'm level 250 right now and still haven't progressed the level 20 'Ragnarsson Bros' storyline because I've been busy exploring the world- hence my increased level, that and having XP booster too. I have been able to beat all zealots (almost all, I cannot find Cola no matter where I search- I wonder if his appearance is tied to quest progression?), legendary animals and Daughters... have pouch and quiver fully maxed and have Excalibur as well. I much prefer EASY, than stressing about combat encounters.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@adarklore Ramping up the difficulty level would work fine for a bit, but sooner or later it would be back to the same situation. As long as people are getting points, be they skill/power or Mastery, and they apply them then they are going to surpass the level of difficulty they are playing on.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@imaginaryruins I too experienced that I really need the extra power to beat the Zealots, some legendary animals and the Daughters of Lerion. In the end I was powerful enough to beat all of them, but I in two other cases (no spoilers here) I had to dial down the difficulty (from normal to easy). So it seems to me that the balance is somewhat off. By the way: the two fights I could not complete at normal difficulty were not really a challenge at the easy setting, which takes away somewhat of the accomplishment. 😉 I realize that it is hard to get the settings right for every kind of player out there, but I certainly have the feeling that Origins and Odyssey were better balanced (in this respect) than Valhalla.

• Stardust_Blade
    24 posts

I play drengr difficulty at normal fights and i lower to vikingr when i fight zealots, that way the fight is fun not frustrating 🙂

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@hroozenbeek I played on Drengr and I couldn't beat the first one till I was at around 250 power. On normal I have beaten three of them and I'm only at 140 now. They are way easy on the normal and easy levels. But on Drengr once you hit 350ish they are not too bad.

spoiler

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@jcar4327 I will certainly try a higher level on my next playthrough. 🙂

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@hroozenbeek If you want a challenge then Drengr offers it until you reach around 200ish, then only zealots, legendary animals, the daughters, and a boss or two is challenging.

Suggested Topics