Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asgardian02
    Original poster 1938 posts

I have played around 70 hours sofar in Valhalla and have seem to have unlocked only 32% of the game even though i am lvl 184. But already a lot of it feels like chore to get through where as in odyssey i have played easily well over 300 hours. Odyssey wasnt perfect by any means either but it was my 1st ac game and i enjoyed it a lot. I guess Valhalla just feels basically the same.

Some of the isseus i have with Valhalla:

• a lot of temples and environment seems to come directly out of Odyssey. All the forts and lots of the towns are basically set in a roman sort of vibe even asgard has roman architecture. The to helmheim tower has the same 4 statutues over and over. Its just so much copy and paste of buildings and pieces.
    • Fighting feels super clumsy in Valhalla. Whats even the point of a dual wield system when i have to constantly switch weapons in order to even use the second weapon i am wearing. This feels super clunky. I tried switching to a shield and a 1hand weapon, but then due to the weight i move extremely slow. Also there is only one skill that even envolves a shield 😞 I am missing the skill to disables shield which we had in odyssey it would have been great vs some of the enemies in valhalla. combat in odyssey was super smooth and fun. Ok we can chop of body parts as finishers but after having seen a few of those it gets very tiresome that eivor is doing it all the time, especially considering how long it takes. I wish this could be sped up somehow.
    • Odyssey had a great transmog system, why is that not part of Valhalla??
    • gear and loot is a big part of these sort of games yet as a melee kind of player i went with bear tree and couldnt find bear gear till i was late lvl90, that totally sucked. Ubisoft store has an insane amount of gear u cant get with MTX, i respect that some players dont mind this crap,. but come on i payed full price for a game, there should be more different bear set in the world. Also at the start the blacksmitch said gear would drastically change when upgrading, unfortunatly this isnt true either. My brigandier gear whent from a bronze color to silver and then full on gold. But except for that color change nothing changed. I am so dissapointed by the way armor looks and how little impact you have on your looks due to no transmog system. Been running around naked for the past 40hours in order to feel like a complete tool in this game. Finding loot should be exciting and should give a player a feel of accomplishment and reward for investing time. Here instead getting various items and gear you can just loot certain chests and that it. 😞
    • the my next problem the settlement, raiding is fun. However i have supplies in thousands and you just get a few raw materials each time, why arent these two items better balanced out? I was really looking forward to building a nice and strong settlement but why do all the house look identical? Only the house of some flyter has a distinctive own look. Some buildings from the Yule festival can be upgraded multiple times yet they still look the same 😞 There is no option either to cut down some trees in order to see enemies approach your settlement better or build some guard towers and what not. I mean your village stand in the middle of a forest and has no defensive qualities whatsoever, that just isnt realistic...
    • Odyssey had quite some bugs upon release, but valhalla..o man o man so many bugs
    • Lastly i feel the difficulty in regards of bosses made more sense in odyssey. Seeing as how clunky the combat feels i still havent been able to kill certain low lever bosses, yet when i approached some other bosses on same lvl i could easily kill them. On lvl100 i was able to raid monastaries on lvl190 while playing on very hard. That feels very off.
    • i get that part of ac games is riddles and puzzles, but seriously after some time its just the same over and over. Get an explosive crate there, shoot explosives crates through a window etc, kill x amount of fish or rabbits for 1 skill point etc.. those tasks feel like a chore.

Some things i do like though is galaxy tree system.
    the way your assasins blade is introduced early on and the acompanied quest line with that.
    There is more parcour also

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02

Also in case you ever go exploring and open barred doors and explode walls etc, if you ever come back to certain locations due to a quest all of these opened up passage from earlier are suddenly blocked again, making exploring just a pure waste of time really.

• Asgardian02

sorry but the rant goes on, i cant seem to edit my original post either so..

Within the skill tree you get to choose 3 different paths: bear, wolf or raven.Within said tree you then have skills to enhance wold/raven/bear gaer yet the bonuses that get boosted are exactly the same for either three. This makes no sense to me! Why doesnt there get different stats boost based on which tree you go. At the start of the game even though they offer you choice you are kinda forced into raven as thats all the gear you have, and at the end when you have 340 or more points it doesnt even matter which kind of gear you wear as it all boossts the same stats anyway. This feels just like another missed opportunity for the skill diversity and the gear system as a whole.

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@asgardian02
    Well . . you did get that shield finally. Hopefully everyone who screamed for one is using theirs 😛
    If it's any step down it's not a "massive" one. Story is very good so far - it seems like they've upgraded some parts of Odyssey that it was very weak in and didn't continue some things from it that people liked about Odyssey (like customization - transmog etc). It's kind of a trade off in some ways, some better/worse than others so I guess if they took away things people liked most about Odyssey, that could kill it for this game.
    I remember combat had alot of issues in Odyssey and it took them some time to work out the balance of leveling and difficulty, it may be the same thing needed here too?

I can't speak to everything you listed but every AC game has a limited number of things to do - in Odyssey there were much less of them than Valhalla and I remember that being one of your complaints in Odyssey. There was basically Forts, Naval battle and Mercenaries.

As for tasks that you feel are a chore I'm confused why you'd want to have to cut down trees in our Settlement so we can see enemies coming? That sounds like a boring chore that even I don't want to waste time doing, and I'm good with minutia.

As for gear, you should check out YouYube guides on picking up gear early in the game if you're looking for something more specific.
    I just spent the past 2 days getting a nice set around the map and had a blast doing it 😄 Lots of stealth and assassination in high level areas.

Near as I can tell from my amount of gameplay so far, they listened to alot of player feedback and gave us more things to do that don't include forts and naval battles😁
    They added cultural games, raids you can keep doing, bosses, random raiders that attack, more stealth, notoriety, & some things I haven't tried to know what they are yet... I like that they kept a hit list of the Order enemies we slowly unravel . . .
    we also have a settlement but like I said in Odyssey discussions, they're pretty pointless & very limited in what there is to do at your base just like most other games including Fallout etc. unless you have specific things you need to be there for.
    The things I can see are Tattooing, gear/weapon upgrading, Randvi conversations/info, Recruiting Barracks... & the occult woman that deals with Visions/dreams etc. ?

I don't think all the buildings look the same either but then for that time period and their lack of concern for esthetics, it would be fitting.?
    We do get items that we can add to it for customization. But essentially, who really cares about that when you don't use the buildings anyway?? For now, I'm hardly ever there but at least we're able to build our base up - I don't know how extensive it is later in the game if there's more to do with customization?
    It seems like in Odyssey you had all kinds of custom gear/weapons to enjoy but very little to do in it - in Valhalla you have less custom gear/weaons but have more to do.
    And I do remember complaints about too many weapons and gear pieces in Odyssey - how unnecessary it was.

Anyways, basically most tasks you do in a long game gets tiring the more you do it and Odyssey, Origins & all the rest were just the same.
    The games have gotten longer. For people who get bored easily, they should probly just stick more to the story and plow thru the game to shorten it however much possible.

I had a problem getting into Valhalla and understanding the new system & features but once I hit England and checked out Youtube vid help, it totally picked up and I'm really enjoying the game alot in the way I'm playing & challenging myself.

• Asgardian02

@prodigurl

Watching youtube videos in order to play the game doesnt sound fun to me, thats would feel like cheating. Also obtaining so called top gear through sneaking around in end game areas is kinda cheating to me as well. If you get the best gear at the very start of the game then whats left to do. My brother in law purchased the ultimated pack and thus got the berseker gear package right from the get go. The game felt easy to him, yeah duh... He basically started right away with mythical gear. PLaying like that robs yourself from any progress. However the way it is now, aint fun either where you dont get to loot anything, looting in general feels pointless, especially since it takes around 10second before it becomes visible around killed enemies.

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

If there is anything about "copying the environment", in my opinion, ACII and Brotherhood, and then ACIV Black Flag and AC Rogue, are way more similar to each to other compared to Odyssey and Valhalla.

• ADarklore
    175 posts

OP... I agree with much of what you said... but, you mentioned the constellations offering the same stat boosts, but they don't. Raven offers more melee crit chance, Wolf is ranged crit chance and Bear is crit damage... so there are three important changes between them. Also, you mentioned that you can't use the second weapon in dual wield, but you can, holding L1 (PS4) activates secondary weapon attack.

As for using Google and Youtube... I do it all the time? Cheating... no, because I absolutely HATE puzzles. Further, all these barred doors make no sense because how does the owner get back in? Locked doors make more sense.

• Asgardian02

@adarklore

Yes you can press Q when you want to dual wild, but this just isnt really smooth and lik ei said more often then it just results in my hero stepping back instead of attacking forward. I dont understand why he just doesnt swing his left arm automatically in conjunction with his right arm, thus making him, dual wield.

Way of raven/bear/wolf nodes:
    +1.0 attack
    +3.0 stun
    +1.0 crit chance
    +2.0 block
    +1.0 armor
    +0.6 evasion
    -0.3 weight
    Maybe you need to check again, but these nodes do exact the same for each different gear set be it raven, bear or wolf within the skill tree.

• ProdiGurl
    0 posts

@asgardian02 I grabbed a gear set that I can sink my resources into longer term to save me the trouble of massive grinding to keep getting resources to upgrade weapons I won't keep or don't want later.
    It's a trade off. Consider it cheating all you want, but I play the way I want to play for what I know I have time for and what I don't want to be doing.
    We already don't get much of silver/leather, how much do I have to work to sink into a weapon I won't be using and have to build another one up soon?

Trade- off's

• Asgardian02

@prodigurl
    Honestly you will swim in mats within no time. Also you can buy leather, ores, nickel and even ingots just from stores.
    Upgrading gear and even additional pieces isnt really a concern, at the start it might seem daunting but once you lvl up some more and take on higher content which is super easy even on hardest mode you have everything upgraded in no time.

In fact this makes me wonder why you cant upgrade past mythical seeing as i have everything on mythical already on lvl140 and according to the statistics of ubisoft i have unlocked 38% of the game as of yet. So 1st you just dont see any gear drop and then you have it maxed out in no time and then your just walking around the rest of the game in same outfit thats pure gold and ugly and doesnt look different from the 1st starting point.

To me thats just really bad managed and ill balanced.

• TheCosmicBob
    76 posts

I was walking around some of the towns and houses in Valhalla and they did very much remind me of some of the places in Odyssey. I played A LOT of Odyssey and got to the point where I could walk from one place to another in a town and know exactly where I was going. So the resemblance in Valhalla was kind of striking.

Some of the Roman temples do look the same as in Odyssey (but older). But to me, that's ok, since the Romans based their temples mostly on the Greeks and the Romans did rule Britan for a while and built lots of stuff there. (And apparently left lots of pointless masks laying around too).

The world of Valhalla is entertaining enough, but nothing as interesting to me as Odyssey. And I love ancient Egypt, so Origins was even more interesting for me.

• WildHunt
    150 posts

I enjoyed Odyssey, sunk 200+ hours into it but didn't get to finish all the DLCs. I think I will eventually prefer Valhalla but the game feels uncooked at the moment, some systems feel useless and quality of life improvements from Odyssey are nowhere to be found in Valhalla.

Things I prefer in Valhalla compared to Odyssey:

• It feels less grindy
    • No level scaling is an improvement right now but I think at endgame we will need it back
    • No more getting bogged down in meaningless loot
    • Raiding is fun but limited to gathering resources and there is no reason to recruit different Vikings really
    • Combat feels better
    • No uber abilities (yet). In Odyssey "Ares Madness" was basically an "I win" button, it was way too powerful and ruined the game
    • Fall damage is back. Another one of Odysseys bad decisions not carried over
    • No more eagle (raven) spotting and tagging is great in principle but it is still way too easy to tag loads of people by spamming V or getting the stealth recon perk. It seems like Ubisoft are not willing to take risks with their own design choices when their rationale was the eagle spotting was too easy. Well, so is spamming V lol, nothing has really changed
    • The settlement is basic but I like building it up
    • Settlement events: while this one is buggy I am looking forward to future events
    • The dice and drinking games you can play in towns are fun

Things I prefer in Odyssey:

• Random daily quests in each town gave the towns a bit more life and a reason to revisit towns. In Valhalla, we get 2 random daily quests which are boring, we will always kill those wolves near the settlement for example and these quests can be done in minutes. Why is this even a thing? It was boring in Origins, Odyssey had a better system but is nowhere to be found here?
    • Naval combat feels more developed and purposeful than the raiding in Valhalla
    • Further to the point above, sailing has a purpose in Odyssey but sailing in Valhalla is the slowest way to get anywhere. I often find myself seeking out raids on horseback and calling in the boat there because sailing from the settlement or from another port is frustratingly slow
    • Easier to equip armor sets with one click. Valhalla has no such system and transferring runes to a new armor is painfully slow
    • Customizing the look of your crew in Odyssey was limited but great, why can't we do this in Valhalla? The blue "uniform" of my crew looks ridiculous, especially when you see the crew in the marketing material, our crews all look like people from The Office, just so bloody boring lol. This also adds to the stale feel when recruiting Vikings, okay now and again a player would have equipped them with some nice DLC armor, but I want to equip all my crew with different armors I own as well as tattoos, and battle scars. Do what Odyssey did and take it to the next level
    • More interesting traders from town to town. Valhalla traders seem to all be sharing the same stock, this adds to the point I made about the towns feeling lifeless and boring

• JCar4327
    658 posts

@wildhunt I don't know. I like to hop on the boat and hold the button for "Follow River" and then the button for "Go to Marker" and just set the controller down for a minute, or go to the bathroom, or grab a snack, or both.

I do miss the back flip move they did when dodging in Odyssey.

Suggested Topics