Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Moved Valhalla should be a lot better, but its a lot worse than Origins and Odyssey. Ubisoft have been lazy and rushed it out for Christmas.

9 Likes/38 Replies/377 Views
    Tinteretto
    Original poster 3 posts

Valhalla is a very poor game, when it should have been good. Ubisoft have got lazy or rushed it out. It is very poor compared to Origins or Odyssey. The load times are the worst I have ever seen in a game. The combat is poorly thought out as is the settlement building. The Zealots are not worth fighting as the rewards are not there, unlike Odysseys, never mind the combat parameters are very, very poorly thought out by Ubisoft.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• a22ghooligan
    11 posts

Everyone has an opinion and mine is the polar opposite. All the points you raised for not liking it, is some of the reasons that I love this game.
    Loading times?? there's hardly any loading screens, and when there is they are over and finished in no time. Are you fast travelling your way around the map?? console or older PC??

I love the combat, its nasty and visceral and the abilities add a real shine to it. Plus Im playing on the hardest setting plus the 'no guaranteed assassinations' and that again adds to the experience.

The settlement building gives you a reason to explore the map, take camps/towns/churches etc for them precious resources. Yea its not exactly like NMS level of base building, but for me it serves it purpose. And the extra content you get from adding to your settlement is great. Like the fishing/hunting jobs etc etc.

For me bringing down a zealot is challenge enough, I don't need a shiny new cod-piece as a reward. I think Im level 135 and so far Ive killed two. they are a brutal challenge, and one I really have to prepare for before taking em on.

Too me it feels more like an assassins creed game then odyssey and origins (I did enjoy both of them as well)

Plus the world is friggin beautiful, with lots to discover. For me this new system for side quests is a massive step up from any assassin creed game, it feels a lot more organic and you are always rewarded for exploring and taking your time.

• DuskDragon56496
    367 posts

What is their to discover?Please enlighten me, Yeah you can build buildings in the game ,make a real nice town,but you can't interact with anyone,at least other than buying or selling something.Exactly what is the point of the cartographer? In the last game I played I never went to the cartographer once, and when I finally did there was one map available,all the others I had found on my own.The cartographer would have been much more effective if these were maps that held secret areas.Selling maps to areas that are already available on the map is stupid.The fishing is still bugged.the weapons and outfits are garbage and a complete waste of time to even bother with.You notice how in this game your life doesn't go back up like Odyssey and Origins, well just check out the Hels Damnation pack,you'll see the health is restored when the weapon is ignited,just have to pay 20 more dollars.Anyone want to lay odds that an outfit pack will be coming that negates fall damage?Just check out the Nilfheim pack,another 20 dollars and you can see some real critical damage!Valhalla was built completely around the helix store and will continue to be every 2 weeks when a new outfit will appear with stats that used to be normal....and FREE in the game!
    This game has so far demonstrated nothing more than common greed.Anyone willing to bet me that when the next patch is released fishing will still be bugged,that the harpoon impalement will still hit only one out of 4 times if that.Every other Tuesday something new is put in the helix store that's working perfectly yet this game has been bugged since release,no patches for us!I wouldn't even classify this game as mediocre with all the problems it's experiencing,not too mention a non existent reward system with laughable ...I can't even call them armor without laughing so let's just call them rags.Has anyone even noticed that the hel's damnation pack has been in the store since release but has yet to be at Reda.No Origins and Odyssey were much better than this game Where the minds of the developers were on creating a fun game for the players,not just selling new outfits every 2 weeks!

• a22ghooligan
    11 posts

Whatever I say you and by the looks of things many more will disagree. Im not after a looter/shooter, I dont want to have to keep changing my gear cause I just picked up a new sword/outfit with slightly better crit. In fact Im still using the same 2 handed axe and bow I started the game with, and I enjoy not having to constantly change your gear, you can explore the map for resources to upgrade it. Gear is not handed to you anymore, you have to work for it.

Why are players so shocked with the greed?? this is ubisoft. Just ignore the shop and move on, theres plenty of content in the game to be getting on with. But Im not into the whole restore health with fire,or less fall damage crap, for me thats just silly. Im a viking not a wizard.

Shocked the game isnt working out the box??? this has been the state of most AAA games for ages. I usually wait a year to play the latest creed game, but im early this year because of the new industry standard of broken games which is cyberpunk. Ive had the odd bug in Valhalla, but nothing like the broken mess that 2077 is.

it just seems some players bought this thinking it was gonna be a cut/paste from odyssey. Thats your problem not ubisofts.

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@a22ghooligan I agree with you. I'm glad they did away with the endless loot hunt. And I don't think the store has changed much since Origins, other than they removed the random loot boxes you could get from spending in-game currency. And yes, just about every AAA game these days comes with launch day bugs, but I'll stay away from that subject.

I also agree that it is likely that many people thought they were buying a cut/paste version of Odyssey; this becomes very obvious when reading some of the big complaint posts about Valhalla. Unfortunately, as with many of the forums for games I play, those who don't like a game are the ones posting over and over about how bad the game is.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    88 posts

@a22ghooligan Is not so normal that in a open world of 100xxxx hours you use same weapon.

Should be more weapon, more type like One handed sword, mace, wood mace ,like enemy that has more weapon that us.

For me is boring have Just a few equip with same moveset in the same category.
    Every Weapon should have UNIQUE moveset, but now i have 3 sword with the same,or 3 axe with the same.
    At least,you just Watch damage.

Need more equip dropped by specifici enemy, boss, or zelot.

This Is not a linear game, i don't play only for watch a story, and in 100 hours Is boring not to have sone reward for this large number of fight.

• a22ghooligan
    11 posts

@jcar4327

Yea Im enjoying it. Ive enjoyed all the creed games, even the ones with ridiculous amounts of loot. But i knew what I was buying every time. Ubisoft have been mixing up and changing creed for years now, its like some of their customers still want the same old recycled game year after year. Now that would be a lazy and rushed game, and a lovely money spinner for ubi.

Ubi cant please everyone with every release, maybe some people will think before smashing that pre-order button in the future 🙂

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@xx-artorias-xx

yeah i dont understand it either.

There is a massive open world yet very limited typs of enemies. At lvl90 i already unlocked all enemy types, that made me really sad.

But also the fact that enemies or even bosses dont drop awesome loot.

The fact the order members dropped awesome loot in odyssey made me actually chase them
    In valhalla i havent made any effort for that yet, cos yeah they drop stuff also u can one shot them expect for the zealots.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@a22ghooligan I'm in the middle of both arguments. I enjoy the game. Some features I love, others I hate.
    I enjoy the combat. Makes you fulfil that "viking warrior" fantasy and then still allows for changes with the zealots and other bosses.
    I dislike the gear system and I agree with the OP, there's no real incentive to hunting down the zealots of the other of the ancients other than completing the story. Like the zealots are fun, but the rewards for killing them aren't worth the effort. I don't consider some mostly useless runes and abilities I won't use as worthwhile rewards. And whilst I like that each piece of gear is unique, the selections are not great, there's no historical pieces of armor/gear or no one handed swords. They made an over correction from Odyssey (which had a basic RPG loot system) in terms of dialling back the loot too much so that there's not too few options, or the options available are too similar to have any real visual difference to play as then (looking at the mentor and Magister sets).
    The story is okay. It has some great moments and some meh ones. I hated the historical ending though. Too not spoil anything, it ends very shortly before a major event that completely changes the political and military appearance of viking age English (I've been describing it as narrative blueballs).
    Another major gripe is there's not much replayability. You can't redo raids (oh wait there's no incentive to do so), you can't reconquer forts, the side quests (world events) are meh and it would be so easy to release new ones every few weeks etc. Etc. It's by no means a bad game. It really isn't. It is enjoyable, I like a lot of the characters and events you live through and a lot of gameplay features. But it is a step down from Odyssey and origins. Although there is a silver lining as they adding in a lot of replayable features, are fixing the bugs and are adding in more non online store gear and possibly even one handed swords. But it is very clear that the game was sadly rushed out and that they now have to add all these features that should have been there upon release.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    88 posts

@asgardian02 agree.

I think that , in a action open world, part of sadisfaction is be reward after some big "work".

Like the 3 witch, that give you thor piece.

This is what i mean .

But we need more type of weapon.

But, big problem Is difficulty,because after 40/50 hours, at dreng , you become God and there is no reason to use other equip.

🙂

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@max18400 I'm not sure about saying they rushed it and now have to add more content. I say this because this seems to have become the norm with a few games I have played recently. I'll name two for those who are going to ask, The Division 2 and Destiny 2, though I have not played Destiny in more than a year because of this issue. These games have adopted this new 'seasons' format where developers release a lot of content throughout the year, rather than at the release of the game. So the base game seems to be lacking instead of packed with content. And most of that 'seasonal' content was already developed by launch but being held back until they release it.

All of this relates to the 'gaming as a service' business model that studios seem to be adopting. They seem to think that by holding back content and releasing it in drips they can keep people engaged longer and make more money. Which evidently seems to be working because they are making more and more off of MTX. I don't care for the model myself, especially for single player games, but it does seem to be following a pattern with several studios.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@jcar4327 but they shouldn't be relying on that for a single player experience? Even Odyssey where they had a post release plan, there was enough content to allow for players to replay it and had a conclusive story. Vahalla doesn't. They even fail to complete their own arc as the in the last section, there's a prophecy that if Eivor goes off, great horror will happen to the settlement etc. And low and beyond, nothing happens. The game just ends with a happy ending. Now I'm almost certain they'll resolve that with the free dlc release in February, but it should've been done upon release

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@max18400 I agree whole heartedly, but that is really what I see happening here. It's extremely evident with the addition of 'seasons' to the game; it automatically implies they will be adding content over the course of the year, and as they are calling it "free content" then it implies it was included in the cost of the base game. Let's face it, they are not going to be adding anything to the game for "free", they have gotten the money for that content from somewhere.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@jcar4327 well, free DLC. It likely has no extra cost as it should have been in the main game. I get what you're saying though. It's not on at all.

• Kormac67
    613 posts

@max18400 Yeah, I was a bit irritated about the turnout as well.
    Please put a spoiler tag around your post though (if you still can edit it).

• Max18400
    402 posts

@kormac67 it won't let me change it as its been over 10 minutes. I am sorry. Least it doesn't give any MAJOR spoilers away. Regardless, I am sorry

• Quor321
    232 posts

Is not so normal that in a open world of 100xxxx hours you use same weapon.

It may not be normal, that's why it's a nice refreshing change. Besides after my 100+ hrs I have plenty of weapons to choose from and change them out when I feel like trying something new, or change to a different combat style.

To the OP, you do know you are comparing two complete games to a brand new one, yes? You may change your tune in a year or so when most if not all DLCs, updates, and patches have been released.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@quor321

this mindset where games are treated as an mmo is really bad.

We paid full price and when i buy a game like that i want to enjoy the game right away, not wait for a year for it to be enjoyable.
    With games like a mmo or where you pay a monthly fee its quite different, or even free to play games that release new season and so on like path of excile.

• Max18400
    402 posts

@quor321 whilst I don't agree with many of the OPs points, the game does feel unfinished. Odyssey and origins felt completed. Vahalla doesn't.
    It does come down to opinion at the end of the day.
    Vahalla feels like it needs it's DLCs, odyssey didn't.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@jcar4327

best strategy for a customer here is to wait an entire year till everything is released before buying the game.
    That way all DLC and other patches to fix bugs and so called free content will have been installed.

In addition you can most likely buy the game for with a good discount and then get to enjoy all the content all at once instead off having small bits and pieces through the year

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics