Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• OrcBeard92
    Original poster 141 posts

When I first got the game, I loved the heck out of it. No issues beyond some performance and that has slowly gone up since launch. Then came the patches... and I've since stopped playing until the game is in a more stable state. However, desperately trying to remain positive, here is some constructive feedback to improve the experience.

> More interaction with Synin: Odyssey and Origins had a nice level of interaction with your bird companions that gave the impression of a closer bond. You could stroke/feed Ikaros and Senu and have them more frequently land on your arm. Synin only lands on Eivor's shoulder after standing still for some minutes, with an admittedly nice music to accompany it. Beyond that there's not much going on, and I don't feel the same connection. Perhaps this is intentional, with Synin being a Raven, slightly more wild and independent than a tamed hunting bird. However, it would improve the character of both if it returned to how it was in the previous titles.

> Peasant Life Cycle: In Origins and Odyssey, we would see people working in the fields by day, and sitting around campfires at night, drinking and wrestling, having fun. In Valhalla this behaviour in farmland seems broken at present. You will regularly see people standing around in their fields at night bolt upright like Jeepers Creepers. I thought I had stumbled into a cursed area when I first saw it. It needs addressing to make the world seem more alive.

> More Skalds: Unlocking a new song, story etc. with each zone and member of the crew is certainly a nice touch. It feels like you are progressing as a hero. However, a choice of some more ambient tunes and such when you are sailing about would be nice. Bragi and Eivor will often complain of hearing a story too often; so surely we would grow tired of hearing the same skald over and over again as we travel? Some different stringed tunes would be nice to get a different vibe now and then, though the music of the game has been its strongpoint time and again.

> Hair and Beard Styles: Speaks for itself. Currently the selection is very limited, and it is annoying to see NPC's with interesting (and more world appropriate) styles that Eivor themselves cannot wear. Opening them up to the player would really allow the player to make Eivor their own, rather than a template of someone elses. Also, please fix the Red hair. It was changed in the Yule patch and currently looks broken. It doesn't respond to the lighting engine correctly as it stands. I have addressed this in another thread.

> Armour Selection: Odyssey had a fantastic array of armour to collect. You could go full mythical hero, or common misthios. In Valhalla we see NPC's like Dag, Sigurd etc. wearing time appropriate mail shirts and even sections of what looks like lamellar. Eivor by comparison looks like a God, if you upgrade everything. We need more grounded sets for the player that values variety and an immersive experience. Odyssey let me feel like a Greek mercenary, so why does Valhalla make me feel like I don't belong?

> Mounted Combat: It's never been perfect, but at least it was there. In Valhalla, Eivor can only kick or back-hand people from the saddle. It's a strange addition, and I get that they were going for more of a brawl approach to the combat this time. Grounded and visceral. Vikings were not known for being horsemen. However, we've seen the history stretched before, and it was fun to swing heavy weapons, spears, swords from the saddle in previous games. They had a satisfying crunch that is gone. Currently I only use the mounted kick to break iron ore nodes. This feels hindering, and is removing player choice, rather than enhancing it.

That's it for now. Will add more as I think of them. Feel free to post your own.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@orcbeard92

good stuff.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

even though odyssey had more options a big problem i had there that NPC's had way more options and combinations as far as armor goes. That was a big complaint back then.

So i find it really strange that in their next game they decided to leave all customization out...

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

another thing thats missing is achievemnts, i dont understand why they removed that from odyssey.

• OrcBeard92

@asgardian02 Yeah, Npc's would always come off looking slightly better than what we could make, but the variety was still there. Much more than what we have at present. It's even stranger, because there is some kind of visual customisation involved for your Jomsviking. Can even affect the colour of the gear, with the right combination.

Valhalla at present is far from what it could be, and it could be great. Right now it is missing the mark on a lot of key points.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@orcbeard92

exactly, your can hardly see your jomviking much, dont understand why he has some sort of customisation but your own hero doesnt.

Its also pretty lacklaster that many armor pieces and weapons dont change look when you upgrade them to a better quality.

Armor just changes into some ww84 wonderwoman gold armor, it looks totally off to be honest to walk around in gold sets.

• B00MSIE
    307 posts

@asgardian02

I also really dislike the gold look. Vikings had some gold, but it was mainly used for jewelry (as far as I know).

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@b00msie

all in all armor sometimes looks like a fish eye camaera totally distorted, odyssey is an older game, but armor looked so much better.

on npc and your hero alike.

• SII_Frederic
    24 posts

@orcbeard92

I can agree that more interaction with Sunin should happen. A way to upgrade Sunin over time like in origins and odyssey would've been nice but isn't needed. If they included Sunin in your cutscenes more like they included Ikaros in Odyssey it would've solved this issue IMO.

Mounted Combat should return it's been in the AC series since the first game. whoever thought let's just make him kick instead of (Axe, Sword, Spear, etc...) should be fired. Not having mounted combat is just bonkers to me.

Armour sets. I can agree there should be more armor in the game, as well as more weapon types (Regular swords *hint*)

My only other complaint would be the longship. I'd like to see longships fighting each other. (I know nothing of history but I'm sure it happened) or being able to have your longship rain arrows down on a riverside road with guards and watching them being pierced and flayed by your raiding parties arrows. this would've been a nice touch, could've added upgrade for the longship, health/armor, arrow damage, arrow capacity, reload speed (re-nocking? the word for resting an arrow onto the nock of the bow).

Raiding party - they never seem to die? the immortal raiding party, I think it'd be fair if you had some generic Raid NPC that could die during a raid, then a marker would appear above their bodies and you'd perform a burial ritual (ceremony? IDK the proper word) for them, you'd see a short cutscene of building pyres, eivor getting a dialogue of 3 options to talk about them and then your lieutenant would talk about them and then light the pyres. I think it'd give some depth and realism to raiding since raiders contrary to Valhalla don't live forever. Maybe make other players jomsviking able to die as well and have them have a special cutscene with more unique dialogue. Making that character unusable for the next 24 hours. which would give reason to the 100 jomsviking limit.
    This is a spitball idea i just came up with might not be perfect might have some holes in it but it's an idea.

• OrcBeard92

@sii_frederic When I saw one of my crewmembers get 'wounded' in a fight, where they are knocked down and you can 'revive' them/pick them up, I left one of them alone to see if he would eventually die. But once combat ends, they just get up as if nothing happened. Very disappointing. I get that your crew are elite warriors but there must be a limit. Currently the only one at any threat during a raid is yourself, which feels wrong.

They show one of your drengr dying in the reveal cinematic, so why do we not have it in the game today? I agree that funerals and crew death would add a lot more dynamic to your settlement, as opposed to collecting Jomsvikings like pokemon. Would actually give you a reason for recruiting new vikings, with experience and gear etc.

Your longship crew will fire arrows at targets close to shore, but not in the controlled volleys of Odyssey. They just fire individually, which isn't super effective but I guess it's more realistic? Not perfect. I actually got into an arrow-fight with a camp as we sailed by which was quite cool, and some bandits in Grantebridge. They even shot at some wolves who were next to a river.

• SII_Frederic
    24 posts

@orcbeard92

yeah i'm glad someone agrees on the vikingrs/drengr should be able to die.

I've received arrow fire a few times but my boat never fires back. I have not seen a single one of my vikingrs shoot an arrow, i didn't think they could for the longest. To say the least. I just feel like since he commands the ship that you should be able to command the vikingrs to pull their bows while the rowers keep rowing maybe at a reduced speed because fewer rowers (but then if the sail is up what does it matter?) I just think it's a small thing that would have created something more to work on in the game.

While it shouldn't be such a large volley as Odyssey you should see a small group of arrows, kinda like how mortars were in AC4 but way less range and area of effect and lower damage but concentrated enough to kill low level adds and decent damage to decent spec'd adds.

• OrcBeard92

@sii_frederic If you draw your bow while at the command, Eivor will shout 'bows!' and 'fire!' when using it. This can trigger your men to fire at targets on shore, and you can use your bow normally.

During raids, I've also seen some crewmembers remain in the ship, and fire arrows in support from there, but it depends on the settlement you are hitting.

• SII_Frederic
    24 posts

@orcbeard92

I've fired a few times from my boat never noticed my guys do anything i've heard them say things never seen them fire tho. i'll keep a closer when i get on valhalla next time.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics