Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • [PC] Switching between mouse/keyboard and a controller causes stuttering and audio to cut out momentarily | POST HERE

0 Likes/36 Replies/201 Views
    Troopercooper80
    Original poster 29 posts

Not sure about the saving part, but whenever i touch my mouse, it switches to KB/M as controls right? Okay, but it will stutter for a moment and the sound drops.
    Same happens when i now touch my (normal microsoft xbox one for PC) controller, sound drops for a moment and the game stutters.

It seems to stay smooth as long as i dont switch around like that, but its not normal behaviour.
    I think it may also happen when the game auto saves, but i cant be sure on that because it might just be my accidentally bumping into my table or maybe my mouse moves, it happens, so that might be nothing.

But please look into this.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Spud
    Ubisoft Support Staff 597 posts

@troopercooper80 Hail! Thank you for your report. We are aware of this one and have already let the developers know. They're looking into it and working on a fix! 👍

Official Response
  • xrayspex_73
    125 posts

By default the game's controller scheme is set to "Hybrid" mode which allows you to switch between controller and mouse/keyboard. I play with a controller, and I found that every time i moved my mouse the sound cuts out for a second. When I start using the controller again, the sound again cuts out. I think some of my audio cutting out randomly was due to possibly accidently moving the mouse while I was playing with a controller (like bumping the desk).

This is easily reproducible. Just switch between controller and mouse/keyboard while in Hybrid mode.

Once I changed the controller scheme to be ONLY controller, I have yet to have the audio cut out.

This doesn't of course fix the issues with the terrible audio quality and weird mix, but it might be the cause of some the the sound cutting out.

TLDR: Hybrid mode causes additional audio issues and you should set the control scheme to either Controller OR Mouse/Keyboard.

• n3mur1t0r
    8 posts

@xrayspex_73 This happens to me as well.

• Animator_Alex
    5 posts

I am having the exact same issue

• UbiKoreanBBQ
    Ubisoft Support Staff 167 posts

Hey there xrayspex_73, n3mur1t0r, and Animator_Alex! Thanks for reporting this issue with Hybrid mode affecting sound. I will certainly pass this information onto the dev team to check into! Please let me know answers to the following questions:

• What is your audio set-up (external speakers, wireless headset, wired headset)?
    • Do you ever have issues with your sound going through your controller instead (like with other games, for example)? If so, when the sound cuts out, can you see if the audio setting has changed to your controller for that moment?
    • Does the audio stay missing until you start using the controller again? Or it's just a very momentarily loss of sound?
    • Is it all audio that goes missing, or certain sounds like ambience or background music?

Official Response
  • Joseph2409
    14 posts

@xrayspex_73
    Thank you
    I did notice when ever I accidentally nudged my mouse when using my xbone controller it caused a stutter and audio loss temp..

Didn't make any big deal about it as the game worked and it wasn't really negatively impacting me,

But your post solved the issue anyways so ive changed my settings and will live stutter free 🙂

Thanks good man!

• xrayspex_73
    125 posts

@ubikoreanbbq

• What is your audio set-up (external speakers, wireless headset, wired headset)?

I am playing with external 5.1 speakers through a Soundblaster Recon 3Di onboard soundcard

• Do you ever have issues with your sound going through your controller instead (like with other games, for example)? If so, when the sound cuts out, can you see if the audio setting has changed to your controller for that moment?

Not sure what you are asking, I have not had issues like this with the controller settings in games causing issues with sound. This is the only game that does this.

• Does the audio stay missing until you start using the controller again? Or it's just a very momentarily loss of sound?

Audio only drops out momentarily and comes back and only when you switch control type (i.e. controller vs mouse/keyboard) does the sound cut out. The game also sometimes freezes for a split second too when this happens.

• Is it all audio that goes missing, or certain sounds like ambience or background music?

All audio drops out when this happens.

Again, this is easily reproducible. Just set the game's input type to "Hybrid" and switch between controller and mouse. It will freeze EVERYTIME you switch.

• Strayngel
    81 posts

Confirmed. When switching to controller in hybrid mode all audio momentarily cuts out.

Wired headset through mobo here.

• Joseph2409
    14 posts

!

So I can contribute my setup as per above post.

Version 1.02
    Windows 10
    Audio out via USB to Marantz HD DAC at 32 bit 192kbps
    Input is via wireless xbox controller
    Or
    Wired usb 3.0 gaming mouse
    Wireless logitech keyboard

If I never touch the mouse during play I have absolutely 0 audio drops
    This is in all menu and game play locations.

Scenarios
    Using xbox cont
    If I put the xbox controller down (so not input)
    Nudge the mouse once
    Audio drop and visual stutter
    If I continue to use the mouse no stutter will occur if xbox cont remains no input.

If I then leave mouse no input and press any button in cont. Identical audio drop and visual stutter

Again if no further mouse / keyboard input recieved the games audio is stable.

My reason to point this out is that if I nudge once
    I get 1 stutter
    If I nudge over and over again seconds apart between mouse and cont back and forth I'll get the exact number of stutters that are transitions between cont and mouse inputs.

I've seen no other occurance for audio drop outs or visual stutters.

Audio drop out is for between 200ms up to maybe 2 seconds.
    Audio drop occurs before visual stutter.
    Both resume generally at the same time.

Many thanks
    Joseph2409!

• xrayspex_73
    125 posts

@joseph2409

Whoa. You are right. If you spam controller-to-mouse/keyboard over and over again really quickly, sound will cut out for a long time where you aren't sure if it's coming back. It also almost locks the game up.

• Joseph2409
    14 posts

@xrayspex_73 funny isn't it.

Atleast it is consistent
    Should be not too difficult to diagnose

Lucky it isn't all that inconvenient.

• GoDaPe
    7 posts

Getting this problem too

• TheZonk88
    57 posts

Hello there,

Inputmode "Hybrid" will cause stutter/freeze everytime you switch between Gamepad and K&M.

This could lend to a "Permafreeze", when you're playing with a Controller while having a very sensitiv Mousesensor
    by touching your Desk or any other source of "micro"vibrating on your Desk (from a extern HDD etc)

vise versa while playing with K&M and your Gamepads sticks are vibrating out of the deadzone, drifting
    or having a "cheap" Gamepad like i had because it was sending constantly a z-axis command to the game.

• Nozgame
    40 posts

@thezonk88 I'm having the same issue, even the audio gets muted until the game stops freezing. Is the game also freezing for you when you enter/leave photo mode ? Because it's doing it for me, even with Hybrid mode disabled.

• TheZonk88
    57 posts
    Is the game also freezing for you when you enter/leave photo mode ?

i would say this is intended behavior 😉

i wouldnt want to see moving NPCs and such, while i try to get a nice shot

• Nozgame
    40 posts

@thezonk88 No lol I understand photo mode pauses the game to take pics. But when I use my controller to open photo mode the game freezes and mutes itself completely for a few seconds, like I can't do anything. It doesn't happen when I use my keyboard tho, only when I open it with my controller. Even after closing photo mode the audio will be muted for a few seconds. That should not happen, it never did in previous games.

• TheZonk88
    57 posts

@nozgame ohhh - i am not able to test and confirm/deny this.

i am using a Xbox One Controller (the newer one) which doesn't have a "screenshot/social/share" Button (as far as i know!), also i cannot find a button assigned to photomode.

• TheZonk88
    57 posts

Due to beeing not allowed to edit after 5 minutes -

spoiler

This Pic Shows all functions i am able to remap

• Nozgame
    40 posts

@thezonk88 You need to press both right and left sticks at the same time to open photo mode. Make sure photo mode is enabled in the options, should be in "Gameplay", all the way at the top.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics