Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SOLVED [RESOLVED] [PC] Switching between mouse/keyboard and a controller causes stuttering and audio to cut out momentarily | POST HERE

0 Likes/79 Replies/1106 Views
    Troopercooper80
    Original poster 34 posts

Not sure about the saving part, but whenever i touch my mouse, it switches to KB/M as controls right? Okay, but it will stutter for a moment and the sound drops.
    Same happens when i now touch my (normal microsoft xbox one for PC) controller, sound drops for a moment and the game stutters.

It seems to stay smooth as long as i dont switch around like that, but its not normal behaviour.
    I think it may also happen when the game auto saves, but i cant be sure on that because it might just be my accidentally bumping into my table or maybe my mouse moves, it happens, so that might be nothing.

But please look into this.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 768 posts
    Best Answer

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your updates to this thread regarding visual and audio stutter when using hybrid input mode since my last reply, and please accept my sincere apologies that it has been a little while since my last response.

I am pleased to advise you all that the development team marked this issue as resolved as of TU 1.2.0.1. This issue should therefore no longer be occurring for any of you, and you should be able to seamlessly change between keyboard and mouse and a controller when hybrid input mode is enabled, without the audio stuttering or loss of audio.

If you still find that this issue occurs for you following the deployments of TU 1.2.0.1 and TU 1.2.1, please do let us know and answer the questions I previously listed in order to give us the best idea of how serious the issue is:

• PC specs in brief (CPU, GPU, RAM)
    • Keyboard / mouse models
    • Controller type
    • Description of your audio set-up (e.g. do you use a headset, surround sound system, stereo speakers etc.)
    • Description of the audio loss; is it complete, partial? Does it last for a few seconds only, or is the loss of audio permanent?

I can then reopen the investigation with the development team, and make sure that they look into this issue again if it's persistent! Thank you all for your time and patience, and have a great week.

@Yesin069 - Thank you for confirming previously in the thread that the issue was resolved for you. I hope that your experience of playing Valhalla has improved since!

Official Response
  • Nozgame
    50 posts

I'm using the "Hybrid" option for my input mode and whenever I play with the controller and switch to the keyboard to do a quicksave or even take a screenshot, literally anything, the game will freeze for around 2 seconds (or less) and the audio is muted during that time, sometimes even creating synch issues during cutscenes. Same thing happens when I go from keyboard back to the controller. The switch messes up the game for a few seconds. The Hybrid input mode basically doesn't work properly.

With photo mode it does the same thing but right after leaving photo mode. It happens even if I don't switch input btw.

This is something that didn't happen in Odyssey so I hope this gets fixed ASAP, I like taking pictures and I'm used to quicksaving every few minutes so yeah this is kinda game-breaking to me.

• Ubi-Spud
    Ubisoft Support Staff 698 posts

@nozgame Hey there, thanks for getting in touch!

I believe this may have been an issue with uploading your photos to the community before the game released. Are you still having this issue or has it stopped?

Official Response
  • Troopercooper80
    Original poster 34 posts

@ubi-spud I have (and made a topic) the same issue, exactly the same.

Havent uploaded any photos or even used photomode, that aint it.
    As you can trigger the same stutter when you start the game from desktop and the intro's, touch the controller and stutter/sound drops for a moment.

Any switching between KB/M and any controller, triggers it.

• Decidetto
    2 posts

This appears to be a commonly-occurring problem independent of computer spec, I can confirm I experience it too.
    Hybrid input is enabled and whenever I touch my mouse or keyboard, the game freezes and mutes for a second. When I then touch one of the inputs on my controller again, it freezes and mutes again.

This coincides with all the control glyphs being swapped out for keyboard/mouse glyphs (or kb/m to controller), so perhaps it has to do with the game accessing some compressed/encrypted resource file on disk?

It does the same when leaving photo mode. Although of course here there is no switching of control glyphs, it does appear to reload all terrain textures as I see all surfaces around Eivor get blurry and then quickly sharpen again.
    This would again be reading from a resource file on disk, so I really suspect something to do with file access or decryption is at the source of this problem.

It would be wonderful if Ubisoft could look into this.

• Ubi-Spud
    Ubisoft Support Staff 698 posts

@troopercooper80 Hail! Thank you for your report. We are aware of this one and have already let the developers know. They're looking into it and working on a fix! 👍

Official Response
  • Nozgame
    50 posts

@ubi-spud Hey! I just tried it and yes I'm still getting the issue. It's not even about uploading since I can just go into photo mode and leave without even taking a photo and the audio will still be messed up for a few seconds. Same goes for Hybrid mode messing up the audio when switching input, it can even happen in the menu, even while all the intro videos are playing right after launching the game.

• El-Kashi
    11 posts

Hi all, i have the same issue by leaving Hybrid option the game is freezing around 2 sec max and audio is muted. Exactly. The current workaround for now is to change Hybrid for Xbox Pad only.

For me it is not linked with photo mode.

Will there be a fixing patch for that. I can provide my Dxdiag, Msconfig and any other file you need.

Let me know.

Regards

• Gorhug
    1 posts
    This appears to be a commonly-occurring problem independent of computer spec, I can confirm I experience it too.
    Hybrid input is enabled and whenever I touch my mouse or keyboard, the game freezes and mutes for a second. When I then touch one of the inputs on my controller again, it freezes and mutes again.

I experience this when I'm trying to use my Steam Controller with the right touchpad configured for mouse input for more precise and natural camera control while the rest is configured as gamepad. I can work around it by configuring the controller for gamepad input only, but that's not quite as good.

This coincides with all the control glyphs being swapped out for keyboard/mouse glyphs (or kb/m to controller), so perhaps it has to do with the game accessing some compressed/encrypted resource file on disk?

I believe the UI display change could be indeed causing the issue. I also would have an additional request: make a menu option to force showing the gamepad UI only while playing with Hybrid input. Not only is the sound muting/freeze unacceptable but the UI changing everytime I would touch the trackpad would just be a distraction even if it worked otherwise fine.

Also: I have not even tried photo mode, so I don't know if the issue is there as well, but it's certainly not the (only) cause.

• Decidetto
    2 posts

@gorhug I have a Steam Controller too that I would love to play the game with (aiming is so bad with a joystick) and this issue is completely foiling those plans...

Interestingly, while using mouse and gamepad at the same time there is no stuttering whatsoever. At this time, the UI glyphs are locked to keyboard/mouse. It is only when the mouse is released (or finger lifted off the right touchpad on the Steam Controller) while the player is still moving (left joystick in use), or doing any other controller action, that the freeze and mute occurs, which again coincides with the UI glyphs changing (this time back to gamepad glyphs).

With this observed behaviour, I believe it can be said with rather high certainty that the issue really does arise from the UI switch specifically, and not from using the input methods at the same time.

Also, to supplement your request, allowing the player to lock in either kb/m or gamepad UI glyphs is in my opinion an essential feature for accessibility and adjusting the user experience to suit everyone's needs, and would be really high on my wishlist too for Steam Controller playability. It might even fix the entire mute/freeze issue.

• xrayspex_73
    140 posts

@captainstarpaw

I found another bug that might be causing some of the issues with sound cutting in and out. By default the game's controller scheme is set to "Hybrid" mode which allows you to switch between controller and mouse/keyboard. I play with a controller, and I found that every time i moved my mouse the sound cuts out for a second. When I start using the controller again, the sound again cuts out. I think some of my audio cutting out randomly was due to possibly accidently moving the mouse while I was playing with a controller (like bumping the desk).

This is easily reproducible. Just switch between controller and mouse/keyboard while in Hybrid mode.

Once I changed the controller scheme to be ONLY controller, I have yet to have the audio cut out.

This doesn't of course fix the issues with the terrible audio quality and weird mix, but it might be the cause of some the the sound cutting out.

TLDR: Hybrid mode causes additional audio issues and you should set the control scheme to either Controller OR Mouse/Keyboard.

• xrayspex_73
    140 posts

By default the game's controller scheme is set to "Hybrid" mode which allows you to switch between controller and mouse/keyboard. I play with a controller, and I found that every time i moved my mouse the sound cuts out for a second. When I start using the controller again, the sound again cuts out. I think some of my audio cutting out randomly was due to possibly accidently moving the mouse while I was playing with a controller (like bumping the desk).

This is easily reproducible. Just switch between controller and mouse/keyboard while in Hybrid mode.

Once I changed the controller scheme to be ONLY controller, I have yet to have the audio cut out.

This doesn't of course fix the issues with the terrible audio quality and weird mix, but it might be the cause of some the the sound cutting out.

TLDR: Hybrid mode causes additional audio issues and you should set the control scheme to either Controller OR Mouse/Keyboard.

• n3mur1t0r
    8 posts

@xrayspex_73 This happens to me as well.

• CaptainStarPaw
    43 posts

@xrayspex_73 Aha. I did notice that whilst switching from controller to keyboard, the cutting out issue seemed to occur more frequently. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go and see if it will at least eliminate that problem.

Yeah, the terrible audio quality is inherent to the way it was compressed for distribution. Ubisoft should learn from the guys and gals responsible for Middle-earth: Shadow of War. They released 4K cinematics for free, along with higher quality in-game assets.

• Animator_Alex
    7 posts

I am having the exact same issue

• UbiKoreanBBQ
    Ubisoft Support Staff 217 posts

Hey there xrayspex_73, n3mur1t0r, and Animator_Alex! Thanks for reporting this issue with Hybrid mode affecting sound. I will certainly pass this information onto the dev team to check into! Please let me know answers to the following questions:

• What is your audio set-up (external speakers, wireless headset, wired headset)?
    • Do you ever have issues with your sound going through your controller instead (like with other games, for example)? If so, when the sound cuts out, can you see if the audio setting has changed to your controller for that moment?
    • Does the audio stay missing until you start using the controller again? Or it's just a very momentarily loss of sound?
    • Is it all audio that goes missing, or certain sounds like ambience or background music?

Official Response
  • Joseph2409
    14 posts

@xrayspex_73
    Thank you
    I did notice when ever I accidentally nudged my mouse when using my xbone controller it caused a stutter and audio loss temp..

Didn't make any big deal about it as the game worked and it wasn't really negatively impacting me,

But your post solved the issue anyways so ive changed my settings and will live stutter free 🙂

Thanks good man!

• xrayspex_73
    140 posts

@ubikoreanbbq

• What is your audio set-up (external speakers, wireless headset, wired headset)?

I am playing with external 5.1 speakers through a Soundblaster Recon 3Di onboard soundcard

• Do you ever have issues with your sound going through your controller instead (like with other games, for example)? If so, when the sound cuts out, can you see if the audio setting has changed to your controller for that moment?

Not sure what you are asking, I have not had issues like this with the controller settings in games causing issues with sound. This is the only game that does this.

• Does the audio stay missing until you start using the controller again? Or it's just a very momentarily loss of sound?

Audio only drops out momentarily and comes back and only when you switch control type (i.e. controller vs mouse/keyboard) does the sound cut out. The game also sometimes freezes for a split second too when this happens.

• Is it all audio that goes missing, or certain sounds like ambience or background music?

All audio drops out when this happens.

Again, this is easily reproducible. Just set the game's input type to "Hybrid" and switch between controller and mouse. It will freeze EVERYTIME you switch.

• Strayngel
    83 posts

Confirmed. When switching to controller in hybrid mode all audio momentarily cuts out.

Wired headset through mobo here.

• Joseph2409
    14 posts

!

So I can contribute my setup as per above post.

Version 1.02
    Windows 10
    Audio out via USB to Marantz HD DAC at 32 bit 192kbps
    Input is via wireless xbox controller
    Or
    Wired usb 3.0 gaming mouse
    Wireless logitech keyboard

If I never touch the mouse during play I have absolutely 0 audio drops
    This is in all menu and game play locations.

Scenarios
    Using xbox cont
    If I put the xbox controller down (so not input)
    Nudge the mouse once
    Audio drop and visual stutter
    If I continue to use the mouse no stutter will occur if xbox cont remains no input.

If I then leave mouse no input and press any button in cont. Identical audio drop and visual stutter

Again if no further mouse / keyboard input recieved the games audio is stable.

My reason to point this out is that if I nudge once
    I get 1 stutter
    If I nudge over and over again seconds apart between mouse and cont back and forth I'll get the exact number of stutters that are transitions between cont and mouse inputs.

I've seen no other occurance for audio drop outs or visual stutters.

Audio drop out is for between 200ms up to maybe 2 seconds.
    Audio drop occurs before visual stutter.
    Both resume generally at the same time.

Many thanks
    Joseph2409!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics