Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DreadGrrl
    Original poster 165 posts

I'm presently working on the Winchester arc, which is 250. I haven't yet completed the Jotunheim arc, which is 190. I've already completed 250 Snotinghamscire (that name totally makes me giggle). I haven't done 160 Wessex yet.

I've been really good about avoiding spoilers. I have no idea what is going to happen in any of the story arcs moving forward. I don't think I've even looked in the "story" section of the gameplay forum. I'd really appreciate it if no one spilled any story details.

I think I'm okay in that I haven't taken care of Wessex yet. It feels right to wait until the rest of the map is taken care of. But, I'm wondering if I should finish up Jotunheim before I go any further in England?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• DuskDragon56496
    374 posts

The Asgard and Jotunheim arcs are their own story and have nothing to do with the main story, I play them at the end of the main story arc myself,so it's pretty much up yo you how you proceed!

• DreadGrrl

@duskdragon56496
    Thank you, very much. 🙂

• ziggurcat
    167 posts

@dreadgrrl I generally went from lowest level requirement to highest. I'm not sure whether it matters as far as story progression goes because you can't (AFAIK) do anything that has to do with the main story out of order.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@ziggurcat

in hindsight i would have done higher areas sooner.
    I mean at a certain point ur much higher lvl then all anyway, butthat way at least you can grab tungstone faster and sooner and thus have your gear sooner maxed out.

• ziggurcat
    167 posts

@asgardian02 All depends on how you play the game. How I generally play these types of games: get all of the boring stuff out of the way, so I can focus on/enjoy the main story. I had opened all of the chests that weren't quest-locked before really even doing the first story-related Alliance arc, so a lot of my equipment was maxed out early on, so I could have really done them in any order I wanted.

• Kormac67
    659 posts

@dreadgrrl At some point the story will ask you to return to Norway, you should do Jotunheim (and its follow-up) before that (if it even triggers without it).
    There is no "Wessex" arc. Wessex is a kingdom like Mercia and Northumbria. You mean Essexe or Suthsexxe, both are part of Wessexe. You can see the Wessexe border when you zoom the map all the way out.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@ziggurcat

that seems super boring.

i wish these side activities would been better interwoven within the game, more like in witcher3.

Now i do all world activities simultaneously with the story arc i do in that area, still clearing everything feels like doing work.
    Which is no fun as playing a game should be relaxing.

combat is almost never and i wish there would be more opportunities to do some fighting

• Kormac67
    659 posts

@asgardian02 Doing story first is always a good idea. You can storm a castle in story and then loot the treasures at leisure without storming it solo first.
    And I had a location that drove me crazy because I couldn't open a door there - turned out it opened later in story.

• DreadGrrl

@kormac67 Oops. I meant "Sussex." Good catch.

I'll do Jotunheim before going back to Norway.

• ziggurcat
    167 posts

@asgardian02

"that seems super boring."

To you, maybe. I prefer to get the tedium out of the way so that I may, as you say, "relax" and enjoy the story. If I left all of the collecting/tedium after the story's done, I'd lose interest awful quick. Leaving the story until the end is enough of a carrot to keep me going.

It's how I approach all open/semi-open world games.

• DuskDragon56496
    374 posts

You don't need to do jotunheim before Norway, I never have and it played through just fine,I didn't even start Asgard until the main story was finisihed,those arcs are entirely separate, but if it makes you feel better by all means since everyones game plays a little differently!

• DreadGrrl

@duskdragon56496 I'll try it with Jotunheim before Norway. I may do it differently for NG+ (if one is planned).

I know it is really tough to express why one makes certain suggestions when I don't want to know why the suggestions are being made. lol.

• DreadGrrl

@ziggurcat I typically do a mix of story and the more boring stuff: what I do depends on how engaged my youngest son is with his school work.

He's sitting beside me doing web based school right now (schools are closed due to Covid). I have to keep kicking him out of Youtube this morning, so I'm back to clearing POIs. I can't take my eyes off of his screen for more than about a minute today.

• DuskDragon56496
    374 posts

I don't care for Asgard or Jotunheim, here are 2 fantastic looking areas once again plagued by a bad story and no reason even to bother doing them! If there's one thing this development team has shown it's that they can't tell a story.As Asgardian has stated it's a lot of work with zero reward, not even a slight satisfaction.You are literally left, wondering "what was the point"?Apparently in Asgard everyones in charge!The story just lacks any kind of sense or purpose to this game.

• Kormac67
    659 posts

@duskdragon56496 Jotunheim before Norway makes more sense storywise. If you don't care or don't like the story it doesn't matter sure.
    I'll let DreadGrrl decide on her own.
    And if a game feels like "a lot of work" find a different one. I didn't find anything in the game "work", except for the higher cairns and the anomalies, which I skipped thus.
    I even did all the flying papers (with the cheese before they patch it 😄 ). Tove almost fainted when I entered her hut with a huge stack of them 😉

• Quor321
    232 posts

Could go for the ones that offer upgrades for your settlement first if leveling that up interests you.

• DuskDragon56496
    374 posts

Well since I already laid out 130 for this game I think I'll exercise my constitutional right and complain, but thanks for your suggestion kormac

• DreadGrrl

@duskdragon56496 I really enjoyed the few minutes I spent in Jotunheim. Ubi's interpretation of it is very different from Santa Monica Studio's (God of War). I think I'll really enjoy exploring it, despite the fact that the story seems to be a little peculiar.

I'm all about the story when I comes to video games. It wasn't until I had around 50 hours into Valhalla (after chipping away at it slowly over the course of weeks) that I actually became interested in the story. There was nothing to "hook" me until things took a bit of a drastic turn, though with both Origins and Odyssey I was hooked right away. The "exploration" is tedious, for the most part. I do love the puzzles, though.

I have lost a few hours trying to get around game breaking bugs, and I'm swapping between PC and Xbox as some things will work on one platform when they won't work on the other. The process can be trying.

• DuskDragon56496
    374 posts

Don't get me wrong Dreadgirl, I'm not trying to dissuade you from playing the Asgard and Jotunheim arc, merely expressing my interpretation of it, everyone needs to make up their own mind with their own experiences, in regards to the game however neither of these areas affect the game in any capacity, they apparently are a way to gain a better understanding of Odin and some how bring together his purpose in the story.I assumed you were asking if there were consequences to not finishing the arc before returning to the main game, In that light no, it doesn't matter, that's what I meant when I said you can proceed anyway you wish.By the way It's nice to see you here again, you always bring a fun and concise point of view in the forum.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics