Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Viem
    Original poster 54 posts

Re: [This Game Needs Level Scaling](/topic/86397/this-game-needs-level-scaling)

Everyone has been talking about how game-breaking enemy level scaling feels to them and here are some of their points :

1. Affects their notion of progression.
    2. Makes leveling up feel useless.
    3. Simply want to overpower everything in their way.

These are some of the opinions regarding lelve scaling. Let me point out that level scaling should ALWAYS be optional, but i wanted to point out a different perspective.
    People who oppose level scaling approach the game as if the world around us should never evolve. As if all the enemies, all the bosses, all activites regarding combat are set and should not be changed. As if enemies in a specific area (usually starting areas) stay dumb and weak.
    Level scaling makes the world evolve with you.
    Again level scaling should always be optional but to "demand" the world (enemies) to "stand still" while only the player progresses is ambiguous.

So can we get some official information regarding the addition of optional level scaling?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• WolfKissed82
    21 posts

@viem I think you have raised some very points here and yes level scallng should be an optional feature but worth noting that this is were upgrading your weapons and armour comes into the debate which will give the player the edge.

I have hit level 400 and started being awarded mastery points and I must say I have no issues in regions which required a specific power level.

I found the key to this was effectively using your abilitles and using the experienced travellers and cartographer in your settlement to identify were the books of knowledge are scattered through out the world.

Building my settlement and focusing on certain settlers to improve my feat buff before I went on raids to increase my raiders stats!

These things made the game enjoyable.

The only system that needs some kind of refining ( however I did find useful to an extent ) is the rune system from an organisation point of view.

• Sam_Boo26
    166 posts

I also think level scaling should be an option. I'm a completionist, so I always end up being overpowered when there's no level scaling. It's not boring, but less challenging and interesting.

• WolfKissed82
    21 posts

@sam_boo26 its the art of a challenge, as I stated I want to be challenged!

But I am also very aware there are casual players that maybe dont want to move out of their comfort zone and opt for a laid back experience so optional level scaling should have been considered!

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@wolfkissed82

casual players have easy settings at their disposal as well as the ability to one shot every one they assassinate.

seeing how lvling up is super easy casual players should have no issue

• C-Pick
    98 posts

Sure, but let's all not lose sight of the basic thing we all agree on here: enemy level-scaling should be completely OPTIONAL, not forced upon those of us who don't want it. Let us choose that.

• WolfKissed82
    21 posts

@asgardian02 Ok so you dont agree that regardless of the difficulty settings and customisable experiences the notion that level scaling is being forced upon the player is moraly wrong?

As I said it does not really bother me personally but I do agree on principle that it should purely optional.

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

Level scaling I agree should be optional if it is to be introduced.

Advantage - challenge, perhaps more XP, and the "as you improve, so do your opponents" point
    Disadvantage - losing the "god-mode" overpowering feeling and the sense that the protagonist really has become stronger

As one of the most famous RPG ever made, most titles in the Final Fantasy series do not even have level-scaling option but many of them are liked by a lot of players.

• Viem
    Original poster 54 posts

Not IF it is to be introduced… It simply must be introduced as optional @ImaginaryRuins .
    I am 280lvl fighting in 120lvl areas… No matter the godly nature or sense of progression, this chasm between player level and world is unacceptable…

As i said the notion that only the player grows stronger makes the world unrealistic.
    Example : let's say you are the commander of an area (Saxons) that got stormed by great warriors (Eivor and Vikingrs). If you were to send reinforcements or prepare your kingdom for an upcoming attack, you would have to choose better trained warriors to much the skill of the conquerors. THAT is where (optional) level scaling becomes relevant for those who want it. The world evolves too, not just the player, keeping progression relative throughout.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

the fact that there are no lvls is super weird.
    enemies in low lvl areas yeild the same xp as the ones in high lvl areas.
    As far as difficulty there doesnt seem much of a difference.

I truly wonder what is even the point of the abilty in the main menu to select different difficulties, cos drengr offers zero challenge 😞

• Viem
    Original poster 54 posts

@asgardian02 Agreed on the Drengr, it only feels hard on the very first levels. You also raise a new point here: the xp given by enemies. That should be worked out too!

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@viem

i am at lvl489 now and while lvling up shouldnt be too easy, getting to next lvls at this point is not really fun.
    Mostly cos there arent that many enemies to be found in the 1st place and they removed the ones that gave 450xp

• Viem
    Original poster 54 posts

@asgardian02 Bah, what did they remove?

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@viem it used to be that every fat/big elite of patrols used to give 450 xp, now they just give 50xp

Suggested Topics