ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Napoleontas1769
    Original poster 5 posts

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has the same issue.
    I am having random pc restarts during gameplay. I never had anything similar before with any other game, and I can't reproduce it with other games or programs right now.
    So it might be software-game related.
    While playing, my monitor goes black even though am still hearing GPU activity, then it just restarts my whole system without a windows crash log.
    With a GPU rtx2070 super
    CPU i7 8700

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Viem
    54 posts

@napoleontas1769 what's your PSU capacity mate. Auto restarts/shutdown are usually connected to power and windows memory management.

• Napoleontas1769
    Original poster 5 posts

@viem It's a 550w corsair.
    But I doubt it is PSU related, for eg RDR2 is significantly more demanding on my pc, but I never had something similar occurring.
    Doubt though is not a certainty.
    My point is that I never had anything like that happening on any other game, and I am constantly monitoring my temperatures, have the latest GPU drivers, etc.
    Am not excluding hardware issues since I am a pc veteran and dealt with similar situations for years, my question was made so that I can have the community's feedback and learn if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

• leirbagjustice
    8 posts

@napoleontas1769 Yep I have the same issue and posted last week in here AC Valhalla : PC restarts during gameplay | Ubisoft Forums here is my post. I am waiting for a new PSU not because I am certain its the PSU but its the only option left. I am waiting on 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming which I ordered and wanna upgrade from Corsair 650 to a Seasonic 750 watts as well. But only with this game is triggering this issue. I doubt that suddenly PSUs are going out around the world. Cause I've seen other posts and everyone points out that its the PSU immediately.

• Napoleontas1769
    Original poster 5 posts

@leirbagjustice Thanks for the reply.
    So it seems that there is a strong chance that it is software-game related.
    The thing is that now being in a total lockdown, every single problem concerning my hardware immediately makes me "jumpy", because my job is directly related to my pc, and any potential problems and replacements of hardware parts are going to be quite troublesome and worrying.
    So, to be honest I hope it is software related and that UBISOFT somehow will address the issue.

Having said that, I have installed -reinstalled my GPU drivers, tested the game with "optimal power settings" and after an hour I still got no crashes.
    Then I have again reverted to "maximum performance" and played for an hour more, and I still get no crashes.
    So I can't tell for sure what's wrong, but in any case, after a brief research I've also seen many people complaining about the exact same problem, Valhalla causing their systems to restart.
    A simple CTD is ok, but a system reboot is a bit alarming IMO.

• leirbagjustice
    8 posts

@napoleontas1769 I know the feeling I am software dev and work from home as well if something stops working I need to figure it out immediately. I never got passed an hour of gameplay it varies from 5min to 30min. The PSU arrived today for me so will try out and tell you how it goes.

• leirbagjustice
    8 posts

@napoleontas1769 Yep installed new PSU played around one and a half hour no restarts everything set to high. I cannot believe it was actually the PSU for me I mean it was only Valhalla. I played through all CP2077 and Control with no issues whatsoever. It was driving me crazy though haha. Hope you solved your issue too. Enjoy 🙂

• Napoleontas1769
    Original poster 5 posts

@leirbagjustice
    Thanks for the feedback.
    By the way, did your restarts began after Norway?
    I was able to play many hours in Norway without any issues, and only after the game travelled me to England and after a few hours of gameplay there did I get the CTD.

Of course, am going to test this extensively whenever I have time because it already tickles the back of my head "you might have a hardware issue"...
    But I also tested a couple of other games and only Valhalla gave me this problem.
    To be fair in the first CTD I was using a UPS, but the second CTD occurred while I had my pc directly plugged in the wall.

My point is, that Valhalla isn't as demanding as other games I played, for eg CP2077 was probably more demanding, but I hadn't any issues ever before ACV.

• leirbagjustice
    8 posts

@napoleontas1769 Actually you are right. I completed the Norway part and collected all the Artifact Mysteries and Wealth in the region where you start (forgot the name) without any issues. As soon as I as I started England after I completed the first arc it started happening. (Maybe because of Brexit? 😂 ). I played another 2 hours and the problem isn't there anymore. CTD its 99% software issue either game to GPU driver issue or the game itself for sure though. This game must be used as QA for PSUs because I was on the same boat never had issue whatsoever with other games.

• WR3cker_DK
    75 posts

@napoleontas1769

Try installing the latest nvidia hotfix driver:
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/download-geforce-461-33-hotfix-driver.html: (https://guru3d.com/news-story/download-geforce-461-33-hotfix-driver.html)

• Napoleontas1769
    Original poster 5 posts

@leirbagjustice
    Hmm, did these crashes occurred after you changed your PSU?
    I am yet to experience any other crash with other applications or games, even-though I am not an extreme gamer, far from it.
    But now that I changed Valhalla's power profile to optimal power, I haven't experienced any other crashes yet even-though the testing is far from extensive.
    Thanks for the continues feedback

@WR3cker_DK
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    I'll certainly try it out

• R3dnos3
    2 posts

@Napoleontas1769 : I can tell you I have the same issues. Opened also a thread because of it.
    The same happens as you describe and I think it has something to do with the graphic card driver and the newest game update.
    Since then the problem started. In my case the CPU ist different (AMD) but that should not be the issue here.
    Also Cyberpunk doenst show this beahviour and that is way more consuming what the hardware belongs then AC Valhalla.

• TraceCollins
    4 posts

@napoleontas1769 Hi I have been having the same issue. It is a totally random problem, ubi is now saying that it is a problem with my system. this is there latest reply:

Ubi-Chromosaurus @ Ubisoft Support

Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:40 UTC+11

Hi there TraceCollins,

Thank you for getting back to us again.

I apologise for the time it has taken us to respond to your case.

I appreciate that you have given us some additional information on this case.

now, keepin this information in ind as well as keeping in mind what you're experiencing, it doesn't sound like the game is the cause for the issues in these case as a game even when crashing should not be able to force your computer to restart or shut down.

This does however indicate that there may be underlying issues with either the computer or the operating system.

The last thing we can really suggest you to try is to run your computer in safe mode with networking and then retry the game to see if you experience further issues, but if your issues are still persisting I can only recommend you to get in touch with Microsoft support for them to have a further look at your situation.

Hope this clarifies the situation and should there be anything else we can do for you then please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Ubi-Chromosaurus

Ubisoft Support

Suggested Topics