Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• BJgobbleDix
    Original poster 51 posts

I'm a little surprised I could not find a post about this anywhere for how long the game has been out, but has no one even noticed that running dual Flails or dual Dane Axes (and also I think dual great swords), deals half the damage per strike compared to running Dual Spears/Daggers???

Don't believe me? Try a single Flail, then run two Flails. Even though your attack speed is pretty much doubled, your damage per strike is cut in half compared to a single flail. A single flail deals about 36 to 46 Light damage for me (nothing or any other weapon type in my off hand). When I run dual Flails, the strikes end up 18 to 19 damage. But when switching to a single spear, its about 26 to 36 then to dual spears....it stays the same yet the attack speed has also doubled. The same happens with daggers. Effectively, I have doubled my dps with spears and daggers but stays the same with the Flails and Dane Axes.

When running dual Dane Axes, the combos are a bit different where some strikes are with only a single axe while others swing both--for example the very first Light strike is a swing with both. BUT the damage applied is the equivalent to only 1 strike. I'm actually unsure if 2 strikes are applied as it seems like only the main weapon is applying damage, which makes ZERO sense! Swings like this need to apply both weapons individually, thus the benefits of dual wielding to get more hits per attack (helps with "on-hit" type of builds). Dual Great Swords follow a similar issue. It also seems like the quicker left right combo at the end with great swords has it's damage SIGNIFICANTLY reduced to actually being less than spears and daggers--I was constantly hitting in the teens while my normal attacks are above 50 damage. Yet both of these weapons are slower than dual spears or dual dagger combinations.

Now, historically from my experience, some rpg games that run dual wielding potentials typically cut damage in these builds in response to the large increase to attack speed. Simply balancing the differences in DPS between running 1 weapon (or 1 weapon plus shield) vs dual wielding. Dual wielding benefits off of higher attacks per second so on-hit builds are amplified while running only 1 weapon benefits off of higher burst damage potentials. It now makes more sense of why Dual Spears and Dual Daggers dominate in this game in terms of DPS because they have double attack speed but no cut in damage while other weapons do. My dual Spears are literally able to deal 2x to 3x more damage in a short burst compared to most other weapons. But if I were to apply the same mechanic of cutting damage in half, then you would see a much different outcome. On the other hand, if we were to boost the damage of other weapons so they remained the same damage, then I guess that puts Shields and a Single weapon at a major disadvantage unless there was some sort of buff to these builds as well. In the end, I would just like to see a better balance in this design (be it a bug or not) to make builds more equal across the board and play styles/gear loadouts are what better depict optimizations.

Lastly, what in Gods name are these stat depictions?!?! This is some of the worst stat identifiers I've seen in any game. They make zero sense to the application of the game when trying to build. I have Flails with the highest Light Damage in the game yet they deal half damage per strike compared to my Danes Axes that have less Light Damage??? The only conclusion I can come with here is that Light and Heavy Damage are based on some sort of "DPS" calculator instead of a per strike and is effected by some sort of hidden Combo Multiplier for each weapon type--i.e. Flails have like .4x damage per strike in its combo while Danes are like .8x per strike. Add in Crit, Evasion.....just a mess to be honest. Would have been nice to stay traditional to what works and have damage per hit and swings per second and an actual crit percentage......If there is a combo multiplier for each type of swing, that would also be nice to see.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@bjgobbledix

well spears and daggers are weapon with which you stab, so doing mulitple stabs is much faster then to actually having to swing an axe/sword/flail.
    makes perfect sense to me.

Other weapon can work too if you like that playstyle just add some speed runes to it and use the correct runes and diamond runes

i agree with you on stats description. Its overly simplified in every way. In addition the game is way to easy so it doesnt really matter what you do.
    Same goes for the skill tree, in end everything will be filled out anyway, so for them to to market the skills tree in their trailers and how you can choose your own path was totally pointless too.
    This would have only made sense if just like within other games you would be limited in the amount of points you can actually spend.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics