Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Darthmelkor97
    Original poster 1 posts

Aye-up AC community, not written anything like this before about a game but thought I'd give it a whack, because whilst playing Valhalla something in the game got me a bit disheartened which I think was overlooked by Ubisoft. It's been bugging me and I wanted to get it off my chest.

Firstly I want to just say that I've been playing through the game and it's absolutely phenomenal, best AC game since Black Flag easily. It's beautiful and the gameplay is fantastic. The history is great and all the locations you can visit each have brilliant tales/stories to uncover.

However, when doing the Shropshire story arc (no spoilers), you come across a character that is speaking Welsh. I was super excited to hear her talk as a Welsh speaker, it's the first time I've ever heard Welsh in a videogame and I am really greatful that they included it, but was a bit insulted that they didn't bother to put the words in subtitles like they did for the (potential spoilers) Native American language spoken by the tribes in Vinland, and simply put "inaudible" in the subtitles when all of the Native American conversations were written out in the subtitles and it seems that for some reason, despite AC Valhalla's incredible depth, they decided to shun the Welsh. Some may think this is a petty issue, but I've tried my whole life to upkeep what was an endangered language, for it to be made a joke by Ubisoft when other languages clearly had the effort put into them.

Like I said, great game, but it did shock me a bit at the lack of respect for my culture and that of my Country. If they had made jokes etc about the Welsh then fair enough I get that, but just putting inaudible when they've put the effort into the Native American language was a bit disappointing to be honest.

Siomedig.

I understand if you think I'm being overdramatic here, but i don't know what to say other than it genuinely got me down a little

The Mari llwyd bit was fantastic though

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@darthmelkor97 The joke is mainly on Eivor, as others apparently do understand what she's saying. She returns later in the game, if you haven't progressed that far.

(Eivor doesn't understand the Native American language either, so I agree that they did it differently in Vinland, but I thought Eivor's bafflement was funny and not disrespectful to Welsh.)

• TORFINR
    331 posts

The so called "viking" songs on the longboat are in .... English.
    Compared to the beautiful and immersive song in Greek we had in Odyssey... *sigh*
    A double-shame as Einar Selvik is in charge of the music... what the hell are doing English songs on a longboat???!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics