Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asgardian02
    Original poster 1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

i doubt there is anything there. there are a lot of references tho previous games also in that cabin.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@asgardian02 I know, but I can trace most of them back to the previous games (and I've played all of them). This one I simply cannot place yet. But my memory isn't so good with images. I do have the feeling I've seen it before. But where?

• Tchester1980
    1100 posts

@asgardian02

There is a really sad history behind this painting.
    The wife, called Paola, had struggled with her disease (Cancer) for 21 years and the couple sought refuge in games as a way to escape the confines that Paola was physically limited to. They'd especially developed a fondness for Ubisoft's 'The Division' and the 'Assassin's Creed' franchise. 
    Paola's passing on November 20th, 2018 and her husband talks to Ubisoft, had several interviews and sent this last picture from Paola to Ubisoft.

The whole sad story I found here:
    https://gaming.ebaumsworld.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-mission-pays-special-tribute-to-a-deceased-fan/86453772/

• Asgardian02

@hroozenbeek

i doesnt look like a castle that sits in England to me. I only played origins for a bit but got bored fast with that so stopped.
    Played odyssey for 435 hours or something. Even though i had alot a fun the game was too easy and when its too easy i loose my joy fast.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@tchester1980 Okay, thanks. That clears it up. Very moving story!

• Asgardian02

@tchester1980

good find.

• Tchester1980
    1100 posts

@asgardian02

For sure, the castle can be found ingame: Sciropescire region, world event with Jason and his wife Paola building a castle in the countryside

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@tchester1980 Well, my memory isn't too bad, because I had thought of this sidequest and the castle, that was obviously something out of place. But I hadn't yet connected all the dots. Thanks again!

• Tchester1980
    1100 posts

@hroozenbeek

For sure, you´re welcome. I´m just fast travel there and will check the location. Maybe I missed something and also, I will honor Paola there

• Tchester1980
    1100 posts

Really nice castle there:

undefined

• Verendrye
    141 posts

Good morning all!

I tried to translate the Asgard runes using the elder Futhark and the younger futhark, but some symbols within the game simply dont appear on neither alphabets.

Whats more, some of the symbols in Asgard seem to be mirrored and placed upside down.

I took into consideration 2 aspects: 1
    1. I took each symbol as not mirrored nor upside down and translated it as if it was in a normal position.
    2. The devs made this so the runes look more aesthetic and gives an authentic norse atmosphere.

While translating it, I found this:
    For the 3 symbols appearing at the base of a column, it says this: NEED ELK TORCH (or the N X C letters).

For the image with the Helm of Awe, I tried translating the top runes. These seem to be mirrored and placed upside down, while others seem to not even exist in any of the norse alphabets (I found some matching symbols as being Northern Iberian?), so I pretended them to be in a normal position and translated them with the most seemingly looking runes. Surprisingly, these runes have no meaning, with the letters U, X, and C repeating in an order without any sense. The full translation:
    U TORCH TORCH NEED U TWIG NEED RIDE NEED U
    Letters: U C C N U B N R N U

For the bottom runes from the same symbol, it translates as: U NEED RIDE TORCH (letters Ur, N, R, C)

Also, the runes from the collectors edition have no meaning, these are random runes. 

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@verendrye Thank you! I already had the impression that these runes don't make much sense in Younger Futhark or any other single runic alphabet, but it's nice to have confirmation after a more thorough study. In another thread, they also came to 'NEED ELK TORCH'; they even went as far as killing an elk with a torch over one of the runes... Nothing happened.

I was also unable to match the runes with numbers, although that is not very common with Nordic runes apparently. Can you confirm that too?

• Verendrye
    141 posts

@hroozenbeek Yes, I also followed the thread! Poor elk... 🤣

Wow, translating the runes in numbers? This seems a bit far fetched though, but sure, I can try.

I also read your last comments. The hermit is indeed interesting. I read that Odin is Coeus in the Greek mythology, and in the Greek legends it does say that Coeus was punished by Hades and sent into exile, in Tartarus.

At the end of the world, Coeus escaped from Tartarus but was killed by the Cerberus (Fenrir?) right at the exit.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@verendrye Koios (or latinized Coeus) is a bit obscure, only known because of his offspring. I had to look him up. Striking to read that he is the 'god of the inquisitive mind, his name meaning "query" or "questioning"' and the god of the North Pole, but I don't think it's relevant for us. He was punished for resisting Zeus with the other Titans, so the similarities end there, especially regarding the hermit. The identification of Koios with Odin is conjectural at best, as far as I can tell.

• Verendrye
    141 posts

@hroozenbeek Yes, Κοιος seems to be Odin, given the indo-european myths background which both norse and greek have. But I dont think they went so far, as there are no clues of that in the game.

Coming back with the translation in numbers of the runes. I used the pythagorean chart (first set of numbers) and a number cypher based on the same chart (the second set).

For the 3 symbols appearing at the base of a column, NEED ELK TORCH (or the N X C letters), the numbers are: 563/14243

For the image with the Helm of Awe, the top runes, U TORCH TORCH NEED U TWIG NEED RIDE NEED U (Letters: U C C N U B N R N U), the numbers are: 3335325953/213314212141814421

For the bottom runes from the same symbol, U NEED RIDE TORCH (letters Ur, N, R, C), numbers: 3593/2114183

• Tchester1980
    1100 posts

@verendrye

So, no matter how I turn the numbers back and forth, but I don't get a coordinate for England

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@verendrye Impressive, even if the results are (once again) negative. I wasn't thinking of cypher however. I believe I have read that in Old Norse texts numbers are mostly written out, but that in some rare instances they have runes for specific numbers (similar to ancient Greek). It doesn't have to be scientifically accurate, but just something a developer may have picked up on Wikipedia. 😉

• Wilfinn
    25 posts

Feel like where on a massive witch hunt just to keep us occupied until the update events come Into the game, serached the back end of Jorvik and surrounding areas.... Lookin in the official book today for any clues about the runes

• VanadiumCobalt
    317 posts

@wilfinn Well, If nothing is obtained from this Ubisoft will have a lot of upset players to deal with.

• Wilfinn
    25 posts

@vanadiumcobalt I agree with you, if it's just hoaks I'll stop playing, it's my first ac game and iv loved it to be honest, so big with so much to keep you occupied... Just hope Darby isn't mocking us.... I'd of never of known about the nodens arc if it wasn't for jorraptor as I only have the limited edition version of the game.... So clever what they've done with the collectors edition... Just hours of searching and clutching at straws

Suggested Topics