Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 167 posts

So I just clicked and watched this video from YouTube recommendations and figured I'd come here to share my thoughts. Take a look at the first seconds of the video. How in prototype AC1 the assassin is stealthily climbing up to kill his targets. I kind of really want that. I want a stealthy assassinations AC game. Don't get me wrong, I do still enjoy the open world mayhem that are the most recent AC games (well, except for Valhalla because it's just not rewarding enough). But this game, this franchise has a unique potential to be something no other game is: be a stealthy parkouring assassination game. And I'd really want it to be that. With emphasis on scaling buildings where no one is expecting. I feel like the recent free climbing system took away something important: ability for game designers to give players environmental challenges. We don't need to think how to get somewhere we want anymore. We just climb anything. What do you think?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@daelosthecat i noticed that the smotheer climbing is in unity

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@karloz1995

If the world would be much more hostile then indeed you would have a purpose to play in stealth.
    This hasnt been the case in odyssey or valhalla.

Its not hard enough, the detect range is very short and there arent all that many enemies to begin with.
    Why waste 4minutes to walk with monks when you can just hop over a wall?

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@daelosthecat I'd also like that, or at least the choice to do it. Since most boss fights seem to strongly favour warrior builds though, there hardly seems any point in building assassins anymore. In order for it to be viable, we should be able to use stealth and assassination in boss fights too, not be locked in a fake area, where the enemy regens all its health if you take 1 step out of it. Like okay, yeah, people will say it's "easy", but assassins don't fight fair, that's the entire point to them, plus the warrior method isn't exactly hard either - the boss fights are only hard (or long and annoying) if you built an assassin or archer and have to keep kiting. They even did this with the zealots, where you can't snipe them from a building, though there were at least 2 bosses one could initially use assassination on, which is better than nothing (unless it's a bug). Can one use play dead on bosses in Valhalla? Unfortunately I have none left to test it on.

Also in Valhalla they did make lots of stuff unclimbable (in particular obviously climbable trees), forcing you to find a specific route to loot chests or get rid of some of those curses, so there's that, and all of the games seem to have surfaces that just randomly make you rebound off them. 🙂

• ImaginaryRuins
    397 posts

If purely focusing on returning to the root of assassination, what comes into my mind is the Thief series. The protagonist Garrett is a thief, not a murderer and definitely not a fighter - most of the time he cannot even win in a one-on-one fight with common guards. So Garrett almost always has to rely on stealth and surprise his enemies from behind.

To make an AC game fully focusing on stealth, first of all in my opinion, is to make the protagonist highly vulnerable, which is what really encourages players to stay out of enemies' way, to hide, and plan their routes more carefully. However, given that later AC entries seem to focus on the warrior path, I doubt this change will be welcomed by the majority of players, especially those having not played the earlier AC entries.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@imaginaryruins yeah it would have to be an option, maybe achievable by highly varying gear. Styx is another game where you really have to rely on stealth, but I guess most people don't want to be a goblin haha.

• DaelosTheCat

I just think that this game / franchise has a lot of hidden potential, which Ubi don't seem to care much about because most people prefer flashy combat anyway.

• ImaginaryRuins
    397 posts

@daelosthecat This is highly likely to happen to a franchise. New titles are expected to always add something new, but as more elements are added the later titles resemble the root less and less. Old players want the old way because that was originally what attracted them, but new players who have not played earlier titles think the later, newer, more flashy titles ARE what the franchise is about. Once the franchise wants to go back to its roots, it is bound to upset either groups of players.

I agree Assassin's Creed has huge potential, and right now it must decide how to proceed. It can never satisfy the entire fanbase, yes, so Ubisoft must decide.

But as one who has played all AC games all the way up to AC1, I do hope it will be the stealthy assassins route. After all, the title is "Assassins' Creed", and assassins are not meant to fight the entire army like a beefy warrior showing off flashy moves and showering the ground with enemies' blood. The "investigation > climbing up buildings > scouting the area > assassinating just the target(s) > quickly escaping" mechanism will always be the core of AC in my heart.

• DaelosTheCat

@imaginaryruins

100% man. I too played all the AC games as they were released and I hope the franchise will go back to its roots.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@daelosthecat i doubt it sinces origins the franchises has sold historic records each one... when origins comes out, it was the biggest AC game in sells.. selling millions just when it comes out, surpassing every other AC game in sells, then when odyssey comes out, odyssey surpasses origins in sells.... and with valhalla who sold like 15 million copies in the firsr weeks... i dont think they are going back to the old AC games...

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@karloz1995 Yes it's nigh on impossible. The *option* to play in that way is a possibility, but for a pure assassin game, people will need to look elsewhere.

• kanivalaceo
    16 posts

i want a combat like ac 3 but with implementation of ghost recon breakpoint wounded system and terrain exploration, parkour from unity, hunting like in ac 3. ability to camp and prepare your weapons... less bow... not meditating (this is not witcher) more animations. More cinematic game.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@kanivalaceo hunting in AC3 was just button mashing. Absolutely terrible lmao.

• kanivalaceo
    16 posts

@kreutzgang i played years ago i don't remember XD. But gameplay needs to improve... we need more interacting world like if rain you are wet, and yor aim is worst or your weigh is higher and your reflexes are worst and terrain is wet you can slide... you know were i am going...

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@kanivalaceo hunting in AC3 was a quicktime event where you had to just mash whatever buttons popped up on the screen. There are probably people who like mechanics like that, but I find them terrible, like a worse version of the current drinking game 😄 Oh and you could avoid it by shooting them with arrows anyway.

• kanivalaceo
    16 posts

ac vallhalla is ultra repetitive, and boring... like mafia 3. They need to put more mechanics... better hunting, better managing of your ship crew, it has mechanics but are all very basic and for filling. Now there are new consoles... we will see.

• Kormac67
    613 posts

A lot of customers jumped the AC train with the newer games and do not care at all about your suggestions.
    I hated the flying papers "parcours" in Valhalla and shunned them and only did them when the blinding rush trick got revealed.
    So - big NO. Stealth and sniping may be fun, climbing puzzles aren't.

• DaelosTheCat

I've been replaying the older games (as I'm a huge fan of the series). And I just keep thinking that as much as I like open world RPGs, AC's transition to this genre left a huge void in genre of stealth / action games. And I really miss that. I miss traversing historical locations with vertical exploration, I miss stalking my enemies, striking from cover only to vanish the next second. I miss that.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics