Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • 0 Likes/10 Replies/99 Views
    DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 166 posts

I was just playing Far Cry Primal and I had an epiphany! Ubisoft can't figure out how to make realism fun!

I mean look at all their recent games. Most of them are set in OUR world, i.e. reality. And yet they all have supernatural elements. AC Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla, Far Cry 4, Primal, 5. All of them, while set in our world, have VISIONS and MAGIC!

AC 1 through Unity were set in historical settings. Sure, they deviated from 100% realism because they wanted parkour to happen and whatnot. But all in all, they were mostly believeable (minus AC3 DLC). But then it's like something happened and Ubi decided to "enhance" these franchises with visions and magic and all the fantasy stuff. I'm guessing they believe that realism is no longer fun. Well, Warhorse proved them wrong with Kingdom Come Deliverance.

What do you think? Do you like all the fantasy stuff in AC games? Or do you think that there's enough room within the boundaries of "realism" to make AC games fun?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@daelosthecat Yes, I do like the 'fantasy stuff' in the AC games. A game doesn't need fantasy to be fun, obviously, but it can work, in my opinion. I always liked how the AC games presented history with a twist. The Apple of Eden was already in AC 1, and AC 2, and AC 3... I may not applaud every single decision the developers made, but I still like the games in general. In Valhalla, the Jotunheim-quests were among the best in the game.

As to the other games you mentioned: I didn't play Primal, but I played Far Cry 4 and 5 (as well as 3 and New Dawn). I liked 5 better than 4, but that has nothing to do with the level of realism.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@daelosthecat

games shouldnt take itself to seriously.
    Any game is fantasy no matter what.

No person can climb sheer walls without gear like eivor can, so that in of itself is fantasy.

Thats what made doom eternal so much fun. It knows it is a game and use that to its advantage.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@daelosthecat Hmm, I thought this thread was gonna be about something else, i.e. mechanics. Personally I like the fantasy elements and feel they were always in the series since sci fi is also fantasy just set in the future. *shrug*

• Gergid
    27 posts

@DaelosTheCat
    Valhalla is my first AC game so I'm totally new to the series. Currently at 85% story progession, read the files in Layla's notebook, completed the two mythical realms and found the Hidden Truth so I have an idea what's going on. While it's add a bonus layer to the story I think it's just badly implemented.

My least favorite regions in the game are the mythical realms. Completing them felt like a chore to me. Barebone story mixed with wealth grind. I think multiple short video fragments or blurry visions like at the beginning at Valka's Hut about this alternative storyline would have worked better while the remaining time should go to deepen the Sigurd-Basim-Eivor relationship which also feels sketchy.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@gergid I think that 'sketchy' is a good description of Ubisoft's way of dealing with many story elements. In many cases, they take too little time to handle turning points in the story. But that is off-topic.

I happen to like the mythical realms, and especially Jothunheim's magic puzzles, very much. I don't mind grinding when it brings me to some nice locations.

• Gergid
    27 posts

@hroozenbeek
    That's a good point, the illusion puzzles in Jotunheim were refreshing.

• Sam_Boo26
    136 posts

I personally like the fantasy elements in AC games since the beginning of the series. They rewrite History with little twists, and for me it's really fun and interesting.

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 166 posts

@sam_boo26

I'd say that an apple of eden is a "little twist". A high-tech device built to interact with human physiology. That is at least plausible and not pure fantasy. But all the visions and magic powers are pure fantasy. I'm glad you people can enjoy this. For me this is what's ruining a potentially awesome series. When I want fantasy, I play The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher. From AC I want historicity, as it was in early games. Historical realism with a drop of sci-fi here and there. Not friggin magic.

• ImaginaryRuins
    355 posts

@daelosthecat The "magic" is really the Isu technology, which is beyond our understanding. I mean, people 100 years ago would probably see a lot of the inventions today as some sort of magic as well. So this setting may not be entirely out of realism.

As for the visions of Asgard & Jotunheim (if this is what you mean), they are hallucinations or more precisely, the memories of Eivor's past self, so this is not really magic; more like a dream, no magic involved.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics